99bikes opening another WA store

User avatar
Mububban
Posts: 1424
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:19 pm

99bikes opening another WA store

Postby Mububban » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:28 pm

This chain seems to be going well despite other stores/chains struggling. After Joondalup's apparent success, they're opening a Belmont store.

Someone suggested previously they are owned by the Evil Empire of some sorts but I can't remember the specifics. So perhaps they aren't that profitable but are being propped up by other arms of the parent company?

Either way, they've got a broad range of Norco and Cube bikes from what I've seen.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

Tamiya
Posts: 46
Joined: Mon May 28, 2018 12:15 am

Re: 99bikes opening another WA store

Postby Tamiya » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:44 pm

Mububban wrote:This chain seems to be going well despite other stores/chains struggling. After Joondalup's apparent success, they're opening a Belmont store.

Someone suggested previously they are owned by the Evil Empire of some sorts but I can't remember the specifics. So perhaps they aren't that profitable but are being propped up by other arms of the parent company?


Your guess good as any other outsider's :twisted: it's a pvt coy so no public reporting.

Sonny Turner starts bike shoppe whilst Daddy Turner runs Flight Centre... that Flight Centre has "bought into" 99 Bikes suggests there's familial support - whether it's monetary or spiritual assistance, I'm not privy. :P

User avatar
Ross
Posts: 5333
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:53 pm

Re: 99bikes opening another WA store

Postby Ross » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:49 pm

99 Bikes opened a store in Canberra about a year ago, just a few doors away from my work. There are two other bike shops within a couple of kilometres and a third shop another two kilometres away.

I went there myself the other week chasing a part/tool, which they didn't have and noted the prices for accessories are mostly more expensive than other LBS' but you can join their "club" for $5 (lifetime membership) and allows a discount on selected parts and I think bikes. If you are a club member and you find a cheaper price (in Australia) they will refund you the difference. Spend over $500 per annum and get a $25 voucher to spend in-store.

User avatar
ValleyForge
Posts: 1681
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:37 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: 99bikes opening another WA store

Postby ValleyForge » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:01 pm

Tamiya wrote:
Mububban wrote:Sonny Turner starts bike shoppe whilst Daddy Turner runs Flight Centre... that Flight Centre has "bought into" 99 Bikes suggests there's familial support - whether it's monetary or spiritual assistance, I'm not privy. :P

They have significant help running the retail model from the Flight Centre conglomerate. But not financial - just experience is my understanding.

Certainly the 99Bikes network runs a tight inventory, are very happy to find gear at their other stores and a few stores have a special niche: In Brisbane, the Capalaba store has a strong BMX focus, and Ipswich a strong MTB focus. Otherwise they are quite generic with their range and specials.
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

fat and old
Posts: 3536
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:06 pm
Location: Mill Park

Re: 99bikes opening another WA store

Postby fat and old » Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:36 pm

New one about to open on Bell St, Preston (vic). Not 300m from my salt mine. Excellent :D

User avatar
10speedsemiracer
Posts: 1121
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:38 pm
Location: Melbourne, Eastern Suburbs, near the hills,

Re: 99bikes opening another WA store

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:34 am

Flight Centre now apparently in a bit of trouble with allegedly questionable workplace practices and an incomprehensible remuneration structure.

Fair Work Ombudsman now looking at them in detail : http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-08-22/flight-centre-accused-of-ripping-off-customers-underpaying-staff/10051474.

Noting the relationship between F/C and 99B, I wonder if there are similar issues at 99Bikes.
I will confess to being less than impressed with the two 99Bikes stores I've been into (ignorant staff, less than responsive service) and think chain stores like this negatively impact the state of bike retailing, detracting from the branded stores and indie LBSs.

So any current or former 99Bikes employees feel like spilling the beans, or reassuring us to the contrary ?
Mmm, SunTour

User avatar
Mububban
Posts: 1424
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:19 pm

Re: 99bikes opening another WA store

Postby Mububban » Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:18 pm

10speedsemiracer wrote:I will confess to being less than impressed with the two 99Bikes stores I've been into (ignorant staff, less than responsive service) and think chain stores like this negatively impact the state of bike retailing, detracting from the branded stores and indie LBSs.


I've been to the Joondalup store a handful of times. One guy was a MTB nut who knew his stuff. Another time I got a new hire who was super keen to help but knew little about cycling or their products.

They always seem fairly busy though, but their store also has great visibility from the main street so would get a lot of passing traffic.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users