99bikes opening another WA store

User avatar
Mububban
Posts: 1598
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:19 pm

99bikes opening another WA store

Postby Mububban » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:28 pm

This chain seems to be going well despite other stores/chains struggling. After Joondalup's apparent success, they're opening a Belmont store.

Someone suggested previously they are owned by the Evil Empire of some sorts but I can't remember the specifics. So perhaps they aren't that profitable but are being propped up by other arms of the parent company?

Either way, they've got a broad range of Norco and Cube bikes from what I've seen.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

Tamiya
Posts: 143
Joined: Mon May 28, 2018 12:15 am

Re: 99bikes opening another WA store

Postby Tamiya » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:44 pm

Mububban wrote:This chain seems to be going well despite other stores/chains struggling. After Joondalup's apparent success, they're opening a Belmont store.

Someone suggested previously they are owned by the Evil Empire of some sorts but I can't remember the specifics. So perhaps they aren't that profitable but are being propped up by other arms of the parent company?


Your guess good as any other outsider's :twisted: it's a pvt coy so no public reporting.

Sonny Turner starts bike shoppe whilst Daddy Turner runs Flight Centre... that Flight Centre has "bought into" 99 Bikes suggests there's familial support - whether it's monetary or spiritual assistance, I'm not privy. :P

User avatar
Ross
Posts: 5394
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:53 pm

Re: 99bikes opening another WA store

Postby Ross » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:49 pm

99 Bikes opened a store in Canberra about a year ago, just a few doors away from my work. There are two other bike shops within a couple of kilometres and a third shop another two kilometres away.

I went there myself the other week chasing a part/tool, which they didn't have and noted the prices for accessories are mostly more expensive than other LBS' but you can join their "club" for $5 (lifetime membership) and allows a discount on selected parts and I think bikes. If you are a club member and you find a cheaper price (in Australia) they will refund you the difference. Spend over $500 per annum and get a $25 voucher to spend in-store.

User avatar
ValleyForge
Posts: 1702
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:37 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: 99bikes opening another WA store

Postby ValleyForge » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:01 pm

Tamiya wrote:
Mububban wrote:Sonny Turner starts bike shoppe whilst Daddy Turner runs Flight Centre... that Flight Centre has "bought into" 99 Bikes suggests there's familial support - whether it's monetary or spiritual assistance, I'm not privy. :P

They have significant help running the retail model from the Flight Centre conglomerate. But not financial - just experience is my understanding.

Certainly the 99Bikes network runs a tight inventory, are very happy to find gear at their other stores and a few stores have a special niche: In Brisbane, the Capalaba store has a strong BMX focus, and Ipswich a strong MTB focus. Otherwise they are quite generic with their range and specials.
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

fat and old
Posts: 3778
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:06 pm
Location: Mill Park

Re: 99bikes opening another WA store

Postby fat and old » Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:36 pm

New one about to open on Bell St, Preston (vic). Not 300m from my salt mine. Excellent :D

User avatar
10speedsemiracer
Posts: 1414
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:38 pm
Location: Melbourne, in the suburbs, near some hills

Re: 99bikes opening another WA store

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:34 am

Flight Centre now apparently in a bit of trouble with allegedly questionable workplace practices and an incomprehensible remuneration structure.

Fair Work Ombudsman now looking at them in detail : http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-08-22/flight-centre-accused-of-ripping-off-customers-underpaying-staff/10051474.

Noting the relationship between F/C and 99B, I wonder if there are similar issues at 99Bikes.
I will confess to being less than impressed with the two 99Bikes stores I've been into (ignorant staff, less than responsive service) and think chain stores like this negatively impact the state of bike retailing, detracting from the branded stores and indie LBSs.

So any current or former 99Bikes employees feel like spilling the beans, or reassuring us to the contrary ?
Mmm, SunTour

User avatar
Mububban
Posts: 1598
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:19 pm

Re: 99bikes opening another WA store

Postby Mububban » Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:18 pm

10speedsemiracer wrote:I will confess to being less than impressed with the two 99Bikes stores I've been into (ignorant staff, less than responsive service) and think chain stores like this negatively impact the state of bike retailing, detracting from the branded stores and indie LBSs.


I've been to the Joondalup store a handful of times. One guy was a MTB nut who knew his stuff. Another time I got a new hire who was super keen to help but knew little about cycling or their products.

They always seem fairly busy though, but their store also has great visibility from the main street so would get a lot of passing traffic.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

bris_man
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:51 am

Re: 99bikes opening another WA store

Postby bris_man » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:06 am

Having worked there in the past Flight Centre do definitely provide capital for the business to run, they own around 50% from memory, with the balance owned by senior management and by some staff through a business ownership scheme. They went through a fairly strong profitable period 3 to 4 years ago but my understanding is that profits have dropped off a bit in recent times. No surprise given how they grew at a crazy rate and given their dodgy workplace practices means they struggle to retain staff. Low $AUD doesn't help either. Workplace culture is eerily similar to the Flight Centre article above.

For purchasing there, they do offer a good range with their brands now, though staff knowledge at the high end is lacking given the rate they chew through and spit their staff out.

Personally though I would generally either shop online (somewhere like bicyclesonline at the mid range end or reid at the low end) if you want value for money, or go to a boutique store for high end and/or if you want the knowledge and experience to guide the purchase.

1Rowdy1
Posts: 75
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:51 am

Re: 99bikes opening another WA store

Postby 1Rowdy1 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:16 pm

They seem to fill a strange place in the market, not overly knowledgeable, and not cheap either, IMO you need to be at least one of the two

User avatar
Ross
Posts: 5394
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:53 pm

Re: 99bikes opening another WA store

Postby Ross » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:41 pm

Another 99Bikes to open in Canberra soon at the site of recently closed (July) shop TLC Cycles in Phillip

User avatar
jaseyjase
Posts: 2807
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:00 pm
Location: Perth

Re: 99bikes opening another WA store

Postby jaseyjase » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:01 pm

I find if you are a 'member' they sometimes have sales that have pretty good prices.

4xsama
Posts: 77
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:25 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: 99bikes opening another WA store

Postby 4xsama » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:36 pm

The 99 Bikes near me in Leichhardt has been good to date. Some of the range is lacking but the service has been good. I'd like to support the LBS where I can, particularly when I have a Canyon Inflite so obviously bought online. I'll take it to 99 Bikes to get services when the time comes.
CANYON Inflite AL SLX 8.0 Pro Race. Pivot Mach 429 Trail

User avatar
10speedsemiracer
Posts: 1414
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:38 pm
Location: Melbourne, in the suburbs, near some hills

Re: 99bikes opening another WA store

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:53 pm

4xsama wrote:The 99 Bikes near me in Leichhardt has been good to date. Some of the range is lacking but the service has been good. I'd like to support the LBS where I can, particularly when I have a Canyon Inflite so obviously bought online. I'll take it to 99 Bikes to get services when the time comes.


Not sure I'd class a 99bikes store as an LBS, my thinking is more indie store that isn't part of a chain. I've got two of these near me, one is a bit shabby with service and knowledge both lacking unless you're an inked-up hardcore downhiller, while the other is excellent with a very tuned-in owner...
Mmm, SunTour

4xsama
Posts: 77
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:25 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: 99bikes opening another WA store

Postby 4xsama » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:24 pm

10speedsemiracer wrote:
4xsama wrote:The 99 Bikes near me in Leichhardt has been good to date. Some of the range is lacking but the service has been good. I'd like to support the LBS where I can, particularly when I have a Canyon Inflite so obviously bought online. I'll take it to 99 Bikes to get services when the time comes.


Not sure I'd class a 99bikes store as an LBS, my thinking is more indie store that isn't part of a chain. I've got two of these near me, one is a bit shabby with service and knowledge both lacking unless you're an inked-up hardcore downhiller, while the other is excellent with a very tuned-in owner...


I was thinking that when I posted. Its not really your typical LBS but they are local and they are a bike shop. Out of interest would you class the Specialised, Giant and Trek offerings in Clarence St, Sydney as LBS worthy?
CANYON Inflite AL SLX 8.0 Pro Race. Pivot Mach 429 Trail

User avatar
10speedsemiracer
Posts: 1414
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:38 pm
Location: Melbourne, in the suburbs, near some hills

Re: 99bikes opening another WA store

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:05 pm

4xsama wrote:
10speedsemiracer wrote:
4xsama wrote:The 99 Bikes near me in Leichhardt has been good to date. Some of the range is lacking but the service has been good. I'd like to support the LBS where I can, particularly when I have a Canyon Inflite so obviously bought online. I'll take it to 99 Bikes to get services when the time comes.


Not sure I'd class a 99bikes store as an LBS, my thinking is more indie store that isn't part of a chain. I've got two of these near me, one is a bit shabby with service and knowledge both lacking unless you're an inked-up hardcore downhiller, while the other is excellent with a very tuned-in owner...


I was thinking that when I posted. Its not really your typical LBS but they are local and they are a bike shop. Out of interest would you class the Specialised, Giant and Trek offerings in Clarence St, Sydney as LBS worthy?


An interesting question, and like yourself I was thinking of this as I was typing. I think that if you have a Giant then your local Giant dealer is your relevant LBS, same for Spesh/Trek etc. And that may be the point of differentiation between 99bikes who have no real affiliation, and Giant (who only sell Giants) and similar. Maybe...
Mmm, SunTour

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users