Avanti, Malvern Star drop Model Year, Scott to follow?

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Avanti, Malvern Star drop Model Year, Scott to follow?

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:41 pm

Sheppard Cycles have made a rather substantial announcement.

Avanti and Malvern Star bikes will no longer be model years - so no 2013 Malvern Star Oppy or 2014 Malvern Star Oppy. There is a suggestion that this may be carried over to their international brands, and this includes Scott Bicycles.
Phil Latz of Bicycling Trade wrote:I’d like to congratulate Sheppard Cycles for taking the bold move of discontinuing model years from all of the bike brands that they own, including Avanti and Malvern Star, and working with their international brands to try to phase them out for those brands in the future as well.

I agree with Sheppard’s reasoning, including that model years create artificial obsolescence. This means that both wholesalers and retailers often have to discount perfectly good bicycles at the end of each model year, which erodes margins. Or to put it more bluntly, it reduces profits.
source: Bicycling Trade
Cycling is in my BNA

macca33

Re: Avanti, Malvern Star drop Model Year, Scott to follow?

Postby macca33 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:01 pm

The frameset / bicycle manufacturers are the creators of obsolescence themselves - this is more a ploy to enable the movement of NOS at or close to full retail prices - moving forward....or am I being cynical?
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares & Ridley Noah SL

yugyug

Postby yugyug » Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:51 pm

macca33 wrote:The frameset / bicycle manufacturers are the creators of obsolescence themselves - this is more a ploy to enable the movement of NOS at or close to full retail prices - moving forward....or am I being cynical?
Its true that better ethical practice is to make longer lasting, more durable bicycles, but its also good to get rid of a practice which encourages the perception of obsolescence.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:36 pm

I think the ACCC may become interested if the year of manufacture isn't clearly labelled on the bicycle.

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:55 pm

Err...why on Earth would they give a rats?

It's definitely about attempting to maintain or improve margins and I wish them the best of luck <smirk>

It won't work because of the upgrade aspiration within all those who actually care about how old (or more likely, not new) their current ride....and the fact that we are mostly cheapskates at heart.
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:50 am

Advertising current and next season is popular for many consumers. But not all consumers need to buy next seasons bike - perhaps this only becomes important when it is about the seasons and plays a smaller role otherwise.

But they are still competing with other brands who have that format - so will be interesting to observe.
Cycling is in my BNA