Another shop bites the dust. Reid Cycles

4 1 3 0

Another shop bites the dust. Reid Cycles

Postby 4 1 3 0 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:06 am

Quite a while back I had posted that Reid cycles had closed its Cheltenham store. I Was going to the Doctors this morning and noticed ( Pedal Crew ) store also located in Cheltenham was closed up and emptied out. I'm not Sure but this store may have been a branch of St Kilda cycles ?

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Another shop bites the dust. Reid Cycles

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:14 pm

Reid cycles have closed a Sydney, Perth, Brisbane ans Melbourne store.

I have not heard details except they are active online selling in the UK so (speculating) it is possible that they are focussing on the areas giving them the best returns.

Their newsletter regularity has ramped up (which means it is becoming a flood and getting close to unsubscribe) though I have not spotted much online promotion recently.
Cycling is in my BNA

4 1 3 0

Re: Another shop bites the dust.

Postby 4 1 3 0 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:45 pm

Thanks for the heads up and reply, Much appreciated. 8)

tez001

Postby tez001 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:08 pm

Just got a email saying Reid were re-opening a store in Newtown (Sydney)

HyperHorse

Postby HyperHorse » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:27 pm

Don't Reid make somewhat crappy bikes? Some bike shops refuse to service them due to their inferior build quality and sub par components.
GT Outpost, Silver, Medium..
Standard except for Serfas Drifters Road tyres..

am50em

Postby am50em » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:50 pm

I have a Reid Urban 3 with mostly Deore components. Frame is well made, solid but not light. No complaints.

HyperHorse

Postby HyperHorse » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:05 pm

am50em wrote:I have a Reid Urban 3 with mostly Deore components. Frame is well made, solid but not light. No complaints.
So they've changed. How long has this lunacy gone on for??!?!? I mean how can they expect to stay in business selling bicycles that actually work longer than 1 year?!?!!? :-P
GT Outpost, Silver, Medium..
Standard except for Serfas Drifters Road tyres..

Jmuzz

Postby Jmuzz » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:16 pm

HyperHorse wrote:Don't Reid make somewhat crappy bikes? Some bike shops refuse to service them due to their inferior build quality and sub par components.
If you call full current generation Shimano 105 crappy. Which I have seen a bike salesperson do while justifying their brand name Sora and ownbrand equipped bike in the same price bracket.

Can call the frames crappy, possibly. That's the cheap part.
Cheap models so cheap they have crappy groupset are as crappy as any bike with that crappy groupset.

But for the $ they punch well above their weight in groupset and usually wheels which all come from the exact same manufacturers as the big brands.

andrewjcw

Postby andrewjcw » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:45 pm

HyperHorse wrote:Don't Reid make somewhat crappy bikes? Some bike shops refuse to service them due to their inferior build quality and sub par components.
Shops don't service them/get upset because they can't compete with online retailers. If they are asked to service/repair their own bikes with the same spec they'd be more than happy to.
https://www.strava.com/athletes/andrewjcw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:16 pm

HyperHorse wrote:Some bike shops refuse to service them due to their inferior build quality and sub par components.
Yes, there's a shop in Perth's suburbs with a reputation for being rude to customers with anything less than a top line gruppo on a full carbon frame.

And they've been doing it for decades but are positioned in an area with enough dentists and well heeled Freds (to borrow from BSNYC) that it doesn't matter.

The quality of the cheapest Reids I've seen is better than the stuff I rode as a kid. And it's definitely better than some of the BSOs from the big chains.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:57 pm

While Reid closed their big store on Parramatta Rd in Sydney they have re-opened at a much smaller location at 3A Georgina Street, Newtown just off King St.

ace70

Postby ace70 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:12 pm

A bit ckeeky of them, moving into Cheeky Transports old digs...

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:10 pm

A logical move - both because people know there is a bike shop there and because it has already been operating as a bike shop.
Cycling is in my BNA

owly

Postby owly » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:30 pm

Thoglette wrote:
HyperHorse wrote:Some bike shops refuse to service them due to their inferior build quality and sub par components.
Yes, there's a shop in Perth's suburbs with a reputation for being rude to customers with anything less than a top line gruppo on a full carbon frame.

And they've been doing it for decades but are positioned in an area with enough dentists and well heeled Freds (to borrow from BSNYC) that it doesn't matter.

The quality of the cheapest Reids I've seen is better than the stuff I rode as a kid. And it's definitely better than some of the BSOs from the big chains.
That shop wouldn't happen to be near the top of a hill -if you were coming from the west- would it?
MUFC :twisted:

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:42 pm

On a related matter (a long way from gardens full of roses) Reid seems to be spreading internationally: b

Yellow Jersey in the USoA appears to have picked up some of the Reid range of vintage bikes. See here
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:15 am

I didn't know that Cheeky Transport had closed, have the gone under or moved?

They are in Sydney's hipsta heartland but of course the first rule of being a hipsta is to deny you are a hipsta
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

ace70

Postby ace70 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:50 am

Yeah, Cheeky Transport gone, no relocation.
Owner wanting to spend more time with family and a new direction for him, work wise.
It is very hard balancing work/ home time with small operations.
One of the mechanics is now at glow worm in marrickville.
Very sad, they were definitely one of the good ones...

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:31 pm

mikesbytes wrote:They are in Sydney's hipsta heartland but of course the first rule of being a hipsta is to deny you are a hipsta
I thought it was use urban parlance as often as possible?

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:06 am

As an aside, when walking to work after dropping the car off to be serviced, Reid in Adelaide has moved from 180 to 230 Pultney St.

Slightly smaller premises, and have 10% discount to celebrate new store

Reid Cycles-James

Postby Reid Cycles-James » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:32 am

That's correct MichaelB, as the lease on the old store came to completion,(it was too big and expensive for what we needed) we moved just up the road to 230 Pultney st. The new store is a lot more visible from the street which is good.

sertse

Postby sertse » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:00 pm

Thread title isn't too correct now. Seems both locations where it closed came back up again after some relocations.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:12 am

Interview with Reid Cycles Founder James Reid on BNA

And the good news, we get genuine answers and a real insider look at the successes and problems. Hope you appreciate this as you don't often get this type of insight in the bike industry.

Cycling is in my BNA

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:05 am

Interestingly, Reid Cycles closed in WA a few months ago, and just yesterday reopened a store a few doors down on the same strip as their last store?!? I wonder what prompted that decision if the previous store failed?

Better visibility for this store I must say. The last one was tucked at the very end shop in the row and hard to see when driving past.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

Reid Cycles-James

Postby Reid Cycles-James » Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:21 pm

Hi guys,
James from Reid Cycles here.
Yes we have moved just a few stores up from the old store in Perth. The team are doing really well.
The reason for the move is quite simple, the old store was more than double the size and about triple the rent cost compared to the new store.
We didn't need such a big store and as you mentioned the old store was tucked away a little.
With the WA economy under a bit of strain we couldn't justify staying at the old store and since we closed have been keeping an eye out for suitable properties. As luck has it, the most suitable site we could find was close to the old store.
In the past year we have moved from large stores to smaller stores with lower running costs in Perth, Adelaide and Sydney and things are going well.
Our revised strategy of smaller stores means we can continue to pass big savings onto our customers.
Thanks
James