Which Garmin?

g-boaf

Re: Which Garmin?

Postby g-boaf » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:00 am

cjrich wrote:Had nothing but problems with my Edge 500. Poor GPS accuracy, very long satellite acquisition time, losing satelites mid ride, non existant customer service, etc etc.
My next computer will probably be a Magellan.
That's really, really strange behavior. Have you tried firmware updates?

Generally the 500 is pretty dependable. I've got an 800 still on original firmware and it is running fine for years now.

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:21 am

I can get my 510 bluetoothed to my samsung s4. Does anyone know if that setup can upload via garmin connect or strava? G connect s/w seems only available for windows.

Dragster1

Postby Dragster1 » Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:39 am

I have a Garmin 705 with a lot of issues also(slow to acquire satellites, cant find them or drops in and out in remote areas, it takes a few goes to download trails ) and the Garmin connect site is a joke more break downs than a Lada Niva...
Last edited by Dragster1 on Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dragster1

Last edited by Dragster1 on Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dragster1

Last edited by Dragster1 on Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:23 am

Three strikes and yer out. :lol:
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Dragster1

Postby Dragster1 » Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:49 pm

RonK wrote:Three strikes and yer out. :lol:
don't know what happen there :lol:

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:59 pm

Don't worry, I had four this morning...

TonyMax

Postby TonyMax » Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:54 am

I'm thinking of adding a Garmin Edge to my Christmas wish list. I have a few requirements/limitations though.

I currently track rides on Strava with my Android phone in a back jersey pocket. I understand that due to me using the Android app elevation changes for Strava are done in post processing using Strava's terrain maps, is this the case?

Do all the Garmin Edge units (even the 200) have barometric altimeters?

I am blind enough to need glasses to read but I can see to ride fine. Given I only use non prescription sunglasses when riding it's pretty much pointless for me to have the Garmin unit mounted so I can see it when riding. Will this impact the unit that suits my requirements given that the 200 has a fairly basic display and could suit my needs?

I don't really feel the need or have any use for heart rate or cadence data. I ride as required, sometimes hard sometimes taking it easy, I don't really see any great use for HR or cadence data.

I guess the main things I want out of an Edge are to save the battery of my mobile in case I need it for emergencies, and more accurate elevation data.

Ease of use/upload is also a factor for me, currently with the Android app I just finish the ride and it uses data/wifi to upload straight to Strava, I understand that with the n10 models you can Bluetooth pair them to a smartphone and it makes uploading easier, will a n00 unit require plugging in via USB to an internet enabled PC?

Hope you can help me narrow down my Santa list.

Cheers,

Tony

cjrich

Postby cjrich » Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:19 pm

Hi TonyMax

My 2 cents worth, since your not concerned about cadence and heart rate and can't read the display, I'd stick with Strava or other smart phone apps. I use an Edge 500 but also use Strava as a backup in case my Garmin plays up, which it often does as I mentioned in my previous post. I get more accurate GPS tracking with Strava.

If your worried about being caught out with no battery life on your phone, I suggest getting one of those small emergency USB battery packs to carry in your kit.

Hope this helps.
CJ
CJ
- 2015 Cervelo R3
- 2013 Cannondale CAAD 8
- 2019 Marin Rift Zone 3

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:33 pm

cjrich wrote:I use an Edge 500 but also use Strava as a backup in case my Garmin plays up, which it often does as I mentioned in my previous post. I get more accurate GPS tracking with Strava.
I do believe this is BS. A dedicated GPS mapping unit will always give better tracking than any mobile phone GPS app, but we are probably talking a difference between +1m accuracy and +10m accuracy. Not critical overall for most cycling uses.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

TonyMax

Postby TonyMax » Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:35 pm

Thanks for the opinion. I found a website which compares, and apparently the 500, 510, 800 and 810 have barometric altimeters, but the 200 does not.

cjrich

Postby cjrich » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:40 pm

il padrone wrote:I do believe this is BS. A dedicated GPS mapping unit will always give better tracking than any mobile phone GPS app, but we are probably talking a difference between +1m accuracy and +10m accuracy. Not critical overall for most cycling uses.
Well I'm not into triathlons yet my Garmin has me taking a ride in Tuggerah Lake. Just one example.

CJ
- 2015 Cervelo R3
- 2013 Cannondale CAAD 8
- 2019 Marin Rift Zone 3

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:57 pm

cjrich wrote:
il padrone wrote:I do believe this is BS. A dedicated GPS mapping unit will always give better tracking than any mobile phone GPS app, but we are probably talking a difference between +1m accuracy and +10m accuracy. Not critical overall for most cycling uses.
Well I'm not into triathlons yet my Garmin has me taking a ride in Tuggerah Lake. Just one example.
I bunch ride a fair bit and I'm on my fourth Garmin (705 x 3 and now an 800). Our group rides on GC or Strava are all congruent except from the two guys who now use phones (Android and iOS), Their GPS track is all over the place and the HRM data is very flakey. They both were previously using 500s, one "fell off" and one is just having "issues".

In summary I can't add much beyond what's said. A GPS unit will give you the best GPS data, and leave you with phone battery charge a plenty.
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:08 pm

cjrich wrote:Well I'm not into triathlons yet my Garmin has me taking a ride in Tuggerah Lake. Just one example.
Depends on the map viewer - if the maps on the Garmin and on the map viewing software are the same it should be fine. I discovered this using OSM maps for planning, then viewing on maps based on Google, while my Edge 705 had Garmin maps loaded. Now they all sing from the same hymn book.

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:15 pm

TonyMax wrote:I'm thinking of adding a Garmin Edge to my Christmas wish list. I have a few requirements/limitations though.
Ease of use/upload is also a factor for me, currently with the Android app I just finish the ride and it uses data/wifi to upload straight to Strava, I understand that with the n10 models you can Bluetooth pair them to a smartphone and it makes uploading easier, will a n00 unit require plugging in via USB to an internet enabled PC?

Hope you can help me narrow down my Santa list.

Cheers,
Tony
The live uploading of the n10 series is good when it works, but not essential IMO; don't forget the charging. I get home from my morning ride I straight-away plug in the Garmin to a tablet and upload to Strava. By the time I've had a shower and a protein shake, it's recharged and the kudos is on its way!

AFAIK, using a n10 tethered to a phone means no BT headset/earpiece. Issue for me but not all people.

TonyMax

Postby TonyMax » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:51 pm

For anyone considering a Garmin, particularly the 510 or 810, I've had my 510 for not quite a month now, and the Bluetooth pairing to a phone and linking with Strava is super easy to use.

Couple this with my first test of my lunch laps today, and the Edge 510 gave me 92 metres of climbing over my 20km ride, whereas the Android app. only ever gives me about 31.

Very happy with my new toy.

TheWall

Postby TheWall » Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:47 am

Hey All,

My wifeee is one of those weird people who 'enjoys' running over the pleasures of cycling.

She is getting frustrated with the unreliable nature of the free Apps such as Runkeeper and Map my Run...

So she is looking at a Garmin, Fitbit type watch Thingamagig. It must be able to do kilometre splits and she wants to link to Strava.

Any recommendations and why?

Matt

Dragster1

Postby Dragster1 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:55 am

I have a garmin 705, 800 and now just use a strava app on my Samsung phone, I actually discuss and check data after rides with others and it seems to be close. After a 2 and half hour ride I still have plenty of battery life left, I don't know what people are going on about, maybe they go on 5 hr rides and use their phone every 5mins or don't turn the display screen off.

TonyMax

Postby TonyMax » Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:31 pm

TheWall wrote:Hey All,

My wifeee is one of those weird people who 'enjoys' running over the pleasures of cycling.

She is getting frustrated with the unreliable nature of the free Apps such as Runkeeper and Map my Run...

So she is looking at a Garmin, Fitbit type watch Thingamagig. It must be able to do kilometre splits and she wants to link to Strava.

Any recommendations and why?

Matt
Hi Matt, I also run, and bought one of these:

http://www.99bikes.com.au/garmin-forerunner-10-blackred" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Simple to use, does auto km splits if you want, or can be configured to do manual laps for interval training. Doesn't link with heart rate monitors or do Bluetooth syncing, you have to plug it into a PC, but then if you sync your Garmin account with Strava it auto populates Strava once you upload to Garmin Connect.

https://www.strava.com/activities/385905943" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Happy to field questions if you have them, I didn't want to spend a lot and it does everything I want it to. The black/red option has a marginally larger screen than the pretty colours (I don't wear my glasses while running so every little bit helps).

Cheers,

Tony

TheWall

Postby TheWall » Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:48 pm

Cheers Tony. Looks good.

softy

Postby softy » Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:12 pm

I have a garmin 810.

After having this unit, I do believe I would try something different (make) if I upgraded.

I only use the basic settings now, I find the Operating system clunky, the units more sophisticated features like the bluetooth upload play up and are unreliable. The maps are not easy to use and require updating. For the price of the upper end units I don't think they are worth it.

Yes the screen is big and the unit is definitely waterproof. It is good using the basic settings, but it does make for expensive device.
Overall I was disappointed with the unit.

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:33 am

I think one thing missed here is a sleeve. As the model number increases, its tolerance of being dropped goes down.

I'm a big fan for a silicone sleeve. Saved my bacon more than a few times.

firemac71

Postby firemac71 » Tue May 24, 2016 10:31 am

What are peoples thoughts on the edge 25 vs 500? Or edge 25 vs polar m450?

Harrys767

Postby Harrys767 » Tue May 24, 2016 8:14 pm

I have an Edge 25 and have been very happy with it. I was aware it is a basic unit before I purchased it, but it is small, lightweight, has a HRM and Cadence sensor and is Bluetooth connected. The battery life slightly less than the 8 hours they promise (around 6.5hrs) and that is with GLONASS on, though the backlight drops it by about 30%.

It doesn't have live segment capability like some of the higher spec units, but I can live with that.

I generally ride up to about 120km in a session.