Garmin Edge repairs - what do they do?

Machoman121

Garmin Edge repairs - what do they do?

Postby Machoman121 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:15 pm

What happens to the Edge if you need Garmin to repair or replace the batteries? Do they give you another refurbished set? Can i specify that I want my pristine unit to be repaired rather than lose it and be given a crappy copy of someone's unit?

ValleyForge

Re: Garmin Edge repairs - what do they do?

Postby ValleyForge » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:16 pm

All I've ever heard of is replacement near-new units. I've repaired mine & friends units, and found that getting a second hand one (upgraditis) from someone for a donor as being the best pathway.

If it's only a battery issue, there are several online sellers and swapping the battery is easy. Not done a 500 series though so I won't comment; they are plagued with lousy battery life.
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

Gassy

Postby Gassy » Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:20 pm

I've had 2 500's replaced through Garmin ( neither under warranty). it was $130 each i think, and both times I've received brand new head units. (dropped one at high speed and screen stopped working, the other was a faulty on/off button) It seemed the cheapest way to get a new one for me at the time.

Machoman121

Postby Machoman121 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:59 pm

I've called Garmin and they confirmed they won't repair my unit but will replace it with an equivalent - i can understand that would be the quickest turnaround time for customers.

I"m looking at getting an Edge 1000 and worried that i won't get my pristine unit back when the battery needs replacement.