garmin drift

warthog1

garmin drift

Postby warthog1 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:43 pm

Just uploaded a ride of Donna Buang today and the recorded route is completely eff'ed. Miles off course. :x
Is there any way to alter the route in Strava so it records where you've actually been rather than off in the bush?
Consequently strava hasn't picked up my times on a heap of segments as the garmin has recorded me several km off course (away from any roads) in the bush.
I was hoping to compare my first ascent to the same time last year. The only way I was able to do that was create my own segment based on the elevation map.
Woohoo I'm going to hold that KOM forever as it traverses an area where there is no road :roll:
Dogs are the best people :wink:

KGB

Re: garmin drift

Postby KGB » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:47 pm

SNAP. Strava needs a polish. Apparently let's you modify the files and alert the routes to correct them. I havent tried it myself though.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:52 pm

I flagged it with strava as bad GPS data. Told them my garmin recorded me off in the trees away from the road. I'll see what happens.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:01 pm

I will let you in on a little secret - gpx files are easily edited.

Download the file, open an editor such as Viking fix up the tracking, delete the original off Strava, upload modified file.

Yes you could cheat, but if you enjoy spending quality time with yourself, digital epo is quicker
It doesn't get easier, you just get slower

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:40 pm

Thanks Bruce. I'll see how strava goes and have a crack if there's no joy there.
Unfortunately I listened to my son and we only have a mac at home. POS.
I wonder if the heap of junk will even work with viking.

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:36 pm

KGB wrote:SNAP. Strava needs a polish. Apparently let's you modify the files and alert the routes to correct them. I havent tried it myself though.
OP may have missed this, see http://strava-tools.raceshape.com/snap/I" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; have used this successfully to fox a ride, not sure how accurate your segment time will be though.

edit: I have also noticed that the new android lollipop on my nexus 5 will crash apps, not sure what the cause is. But I have noticed both spotify and strava crashes if I have them running and then mess around with other apps on the phone. So if you stop to check your maps while out on a ride, just recheck strava is still running when you put your phone away.

GAV!N

Postby GAV!N » Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:51 am

warthog1 wrote: The only way I was able to do that was create my own segment based on the elevation map.
Woohoo I'm going to hold that KOM forever as it traverses an area where there is no road :roll:
Can I suggest if you have done that, edit the segment and make it 'private'. There's nothing I hate more than random segments on the map which no-one is every going to do again, because of bad GPS data. Hate it about as much as 25 different segments for the one bloody climb :p