Garmin Edge Broken Tabs

cerb

Garmin Edge Broken Tabs

Postby cerb » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:21 am

Hi All,

I've broken one of the fixing tabs off my edge 500, so it can no longer be secured into the mount. I suspect the cause of the issue is using one of the old k-edge alloy out front mounts which has gradually worn away the tab until it's broken.

So, I have a perfectly good edge 500 which I can no longer fix onto my bars. Putting it in my back pocket isn't an option, as I actually use it for pacing etc. while riding and I can't permanently fix it to the mount because then I can't plug it in and download my data.

I've seen various options around including a stick on part from 'Raceware Direct' (UK) and also a screw in part from 'dogearsgps' (US) - both of which work out to be about $40, with a large portion of the cost attributed to shipping from overseas. This seems reasonably pricy as a 'dodgy' repair considering a new edge 500 unit now only costs about $200...

I've also seen replacement backs for the casing on ebay for about $50 out of China, but not sure if these are any good, are going to work properly, or are easy to switch over all the internal components and make it watertight again!

Does anyone have an alternate solution? Or maybe even a no-longer working edge 500 they could sell me cheap so I can salvage the case?

N.B. I'll get myself one of the 'new' out front mount versions (which now have plastic inserts) to prevent this happening again!

R12RT

Re: Garmin Edge Broken Tabs

Postby R12RT » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:30 am

Have you looked at lugfix.com.

I can't endorse the product as I've never used it.

http://www.lugfix.com/
John Beaven
2010 Malvern Star Oppy C6
2014 Giant Propel Advanced 1

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:05 am

Lugfix is the way to go. I have one on my cyclo 505. I can now use the cyclo on any Garmin mount :)

cerb

Postby cerb » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:13 am

I had, thanks for adding that one in.

Again though, it's $45 for a pretty dodgy solution and I don't like their concept of gluing metal to plastic with araldyte. I'm also inclined to go for something plastic so that I don't run into the same issues had previously, but this time in reverse!

The Raceware Direct one looks the best to me, but I'm just not sold on spending 25% of the cost of a new GPS unit repairing my existing one - so seeking other options!

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:39 pm

Velcro.
Not my circus, not my monkeys

sparco

Postby sparco » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:40 pm

as suggested from another thread http://www.dogearsgps.com/

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:49 pm

I've used one of these Silicon straps to mount my garmin 705 on a bike without the correct mount. Was mounted pretty well and if I hadn't shelled out for the proper mount for my roadie it would be in more common usage, don't think I'd use it on MTB though. Also handy for strapping on a light etc and only a couple of $
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

KGB

Postby KGB » Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:13 pm

Dogears etc is the best solution IMO.

Velcro dots will probably be ok as well.

you cannot be sirrus

Postby you cannot be sirrus » Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:15 pm

I know Mr Lugfix and may well be biased but having seen his work and knowing a number of people using the product (not me) calling the product a "dodgy solution" is probably a bit harsh.

djw47

Postby djw47 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:24 pm

cerb wrote:I had, thanks for adding that one in.

Again though, it's $45 for a pretty dodgy solution and I don't like their concept of gluing metal to plastic with araldyte. I'm also inclined to go for something plastic so that I don't run into the same issues had previously, but this time in reverse!

The Raceware Direct one looks the best to me, but I'm just not sold on spending 25% of the cost of a new GPS unit repairing my existing one - so seeking other options!
It seems like a perfectly good solution and araldyte will bond practically anything so there's no danger of this falling apart.

If you don't want to spend a fortune, why not just get some velcro tape and velcro it on to a flattish bit of your stem? As long as you loop the string on the garmin round your handlebars just in case, you should be fine.

cerb

Postby cerb » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:48 pm

you cannot be sirrus wrote:I know Mr Lugfix and may well be biased but having seen his work and knowing a number of people using the product (not me) calling the product a "dodgy solution" is probably a bit harsh.
Haha fair call. Seems Mr. Lugfix is the most recommended solution, so I guess I'll go with it!

Thx all :)

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:42 am

Racewaredirect makes a cheap solution

takeitasread

Postby takeitasread » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:16 am

I had both tabs break on my Garmin 500! I still don't know how as I treated it so gently. I was riding home one night and heard a noise beneath me and wondered what it was. I stopped and all appeared to be OK on the bike so rode on but then thought "hang on, something made that noise" so u-turned and rode back and there was my Garmin sitting in the middle of the lane. I rang them and they said they would fix it for (I think) $90. To be honest that seemed a lot for a $2 part, but so far I don't have a better option.

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:32 am

um, wouldn't Garmin be the one with a dodgy product- it is their tabs that keep breaking. I have a Dogears waiting at home until I can get the right glue to hold it together (no real urgency as I have a 500 and an 800), and it was myself who broke the tabs (bike fell over (AT) a coffee shop)

doggatas

Postby doggatas » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:10 pm

This happened to my 510 - replaced on warranty. Sent them my Garmin on the Monday, had the new one by the end of the week.

cerb

Postby cerb » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:25 pm

I also asked Garmin overnight. They confirmed they could do an out-of-warranty repair for $95.

Actually, it wasn't a repair, more a replacement:
"We will be providing you with a Newly Overhauled Replacement Unit of the same model that comes with a 90 Day Warranty."

So, basically a new one for half price... think I might go for that option now!

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:06 pm

cerb wrote:I also asked Garmin overnight. They confirmed they could do an out-of-warranty repair for $95.

Actually, it wasn't a repair, more a replacement:
"We will be providing you with a Newly Overhauled Replacement Unit of the same model that comes with a 90 Day Warranty."

So, basically a new one for half price... think I might go for that option now!
Just did this for my Garmin 500- was fairly painless but budget 2 weeks without your garmin (I dropped mine down a set of stairs :oops: )

CoffsGal

Postby CoffsGal » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:31 pm

I experienced the broken mount tabs issue on my 500.

I bought one of these SRam Garmin mount adapter for about $6 delivered from Wiggle.
Image below.

Saw the fix on this page...
https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.ph ... post189101" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Quote from the page...
File off the 705 mount and drill a hole in the middle to allow air flow to the altimeter. File down the base of the broken Garmin into a flat surface. Epoxy the modified adaptor to the broken Garmin and allow to set.
I did this about a year or more ago and has been fine since.
There is also more information in this previous thread...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=69094&p=1039770&hi ... n#p1039770" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The fix I did looks like this...

Last edited by CoffsGal on Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

KGB

Postby KGB » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:05 pm

I'm doing exactly the same, I've done the filing and drilling and I'm stuck at the "glue it together" stage while I find where my wife hid the araldite....

wotsa

Postby wotsa » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:44 pm

The lug fix guy sorted me out in Jan and it looks good and is holding firm.

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:20 pm

CoffsGal wrote:I experienced the broken mount tabs issue on my 500.

I bought one of these SRam Garmin mount adapter for about $6 delivered from Wiggle.
Image below.

Saw the fix on this page...
https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.ph ... post189101" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Quote from the page...
File off the 705 mount and drill a hole in the middle to allow air flow to the altimeter. File down the base of the broken Garmin into a flat surface. Epoxy the modified adaptor to the broken Garmin and allow to set.
I did this about a year or more ago and has been fine since.
There is also more information in this previous thread...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=69094&p=1039770&hi ... n#p1039770" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The fix I did looks like this...

I'm glad my advice helped for a quick, cheap, easy fix CH [emoji106]

Lugfix

Postby Lugfix » Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:00 pm

I am somewhat biased and in my defense I would like to respond. Knowing how easy the lugs can break on a Garmin makes me think it 's asking for trouble to go back to Garmin for what is clearly a defect. I reckon I'm supplying a quality product and service with Lugfix, fair cop if some peeps think it's a bit dodgy being "glued" in place. Ever tried to pry one off? Until I see a better solution I'll quietly keep making these. Thanks for for positive feedback from others.
Cheers Alastair

CoffsGal

Postby CoffsGal » Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:28 pm

Dr_Mutley wrote: I'm glad my advice helped for a quick, cheap, easy fix CH
Hey Dr Mutley...
Your advice was very helpful and provided a successful and very inexpensive resolution to the issue. The SRAM plastic is much stronger than the 'crumbly cheese' like material used by Garmin, so the issue is unlikely to arise again.
Lugfix wrote: I am somewhat biased and in my defense I would like to respond. Knowing how easy the lugs can break on a Garmin makes me think it 's asking for trouble to go back to Garmin for what is clearly a defect. I reckon I'm supplying a quality product and service with Lugfix, fair cop if some peeps think it's a bit dodgy being "glued" in place. Ever tried to pry one off? Until I see a better solution I'll quietly keep making these. Thanks for for positive feedback from others.
Cheers Alastair
Re the LugFix option...
There is no doubt in my mind that that the LugFix is an excellent option and is a very neat piece of hardware. The 'gluing on' method would be incredibly strong considering the large surface area and direction of the mating surfaces and would be impossible to remove. Gluing is an entirely appropriate method to affix the Lugfix in my opinion.

The Lugfix is a very elegant solution to the 'broken lug' problem. Although my preference was for the LugFix solution due to its clever engineering and strength qualities, I just couldn't justify the difference in cost compared to the SRAM adapter, to repair a device that was already 3 years old. I was happy to live with the somewhat more agricultural solution provided by the SRAM adapter.

I agree with Alistair that I wouldn't bother getting a replacement Garmin case, as it appears they haven't improved the plastic material that they use, and it will be just a matter of time before the issue reoccurs and the unit will be bouncing down the road.

cerb

Postby cerb » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:31 am

Lugfix wrote:I am somewhat biased and in my defense I would like to respond. Knowing how easy the lugs can break on a Garmin makes me think it 's asking for trouble to go back to Garmin for what is clearly a defect. I reckon I'm supplying a quality product and service with Lugfix, fair cop if some peeps think it's a bit dodgy being "glued" in place. Ever tried to pry one off? Until I see a better solution I'll quietly keep making these. Thanks for for positive feedback from others.
Cheers Alastair
Hey Alastair, thanks for your input!

Sorry for the implication it was a dodgy fix - this was just my preference for something that returns the unit to it's original form. A new metal CNC'd Al fixing point is MUCH stronger than a a bit of moulded plastic and yes, bonding metal to plastic isn't exactly a new technology and does work fine. I guess it just wasn't the 'OEM look' solution I was seeking....

I understand that a lot of these tab failures are due to putting the plastic head unit into a fully metal mount (as with mine). Over time, the metal mount shaves down the plastic tab and you get a failure at the weakest point - the tab. Note sure it's even about a bad design from Garmin! You will note that all of the good, current generation, metal mounts have a plastic interface for the head unit (indeed this is what is supplied with any Garmin) - this wasn't the case when 3rd party mounts were first available.

The metal mounts often have replaceable plastic inserts, so if the Lugfix method reverses the failure mode on the new mounts (i.e. the lugfix tabs damage the mount), then at least the inserts are typically replaceable.

For fully plastic mounts, like Garmin and SRAM - I guess they are cheaper to replace than a whole head unit in the event that an issue arises in the future!

Good stuff for coming up with a working solution to an ongoing problem! :)

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:44 am

cerb wrote:
Lugfix wrote:I am somewhat biased and in my defense I would like to respond. Knowing how easy the lugs can break on a Garmin makes me think it 's asking for trouble to go back to Garmin for what is clearly a defect. I reckon I'm supplying a quality product and service with Lugfix, fair cop if some peeps think it's a bit dodgy being "glued" in place. Ever tried to pry one off? Until I see a better solution I'll quietly keep making these. Thanks for for positive feedback from others.
Cheers Alastair
Hey Alastair, thanks for your input!

Sorry for the implication it was a dodgy fix - this was just my preference for something that returns the unit to it's original form. A new metal CNC'd Al fixing point is MUCH stronger than a a bit of moulded plastic and yes, bonding metal to plastic isn't exactly a new technology and does work fine. I guess it just wasn't the 'OEM look' solution I was seeking....

I understand that a lot of these tab failures are due to putting the plastic head unit into a fully metal mount (as with mine). Over time, the metal mount shaves down the plastic tab and you get a failure at the weakest point - the tab. Note sure it's even about a bad design from Garmin! You will note that all of the good, current generation, metal mounts have a plastic interface for the head unit (indeed this is what is supplied with any Garmin) - this wasn't the case when 3rd party mounts were first available.

The metal mounts often have replaceable plastic inserts, so if the Lugfix method reverses the failure mode on the new mounts (i.e. the lugfix tabs damage the mount), then at least the inserts are typically replaceable.

For fully plastic mounts, like Garmin and SRAM - I guess they are cheaper to replace than a whole head unit in the event that an issue arises in the future!

Good stuff for coming up with a working solution to an ongoing problem! :)
There were plenty of tab failures before metal mounts hit the market... Alloy mounts probably do speed up the process a little, but at the end of the day, the plastic tabs are a shite idea, and it's simply that garmin are so far down the track with this design now, that they can't turn back..,