Transferring routes to garmin 510

outback_67

Transferring routes to garmin 510

Postby outback_67 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:58 pm

I've just acquired a Garmin 510. I have made a couple of routes in my local area using Garmin connect. According to it I'm supposed to upload or sync using express. I've tried this but they don't show up on the unit.
What am I doing wrong? I've used different browsers, uninstalled Express and re-installed. The rides I've done so far show up in Connect, the routes I have crated show up in Connect.

TFM

Re: Transferring routes to garmin 510

Postby TFM » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:46 pm

Hiya outback,
i havn't used garmin connect to create or transfer routes but ive found it really easy using Strava.
the route creation process, i imagine is much the same, but the uploading across to the unit is seamless. Strava even pops up a window with specific instructions for your device.

just had a thought, make sure you put your route in the "New Files" folder on the 510. Perhaps try this first before going down the whole strava road.

hope this helps.

outback_67

Postby outback_67 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:29 am

Thanks TFM, The Garmin system seems clunky and having to use two separate programs sounds like a recipe for what I'm struggling with. Everything is all supposed to end up in the correct folders on the unit.
Strava may well be a better option, I'll check it out. Thanks again

3DKiwi

Postby 3DKiwi » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:03 am

Similar to TFM but rather than Strava I use RidewithGPS. The only reason is you get street names which can be quite handy navigating in unfamiliar places.

The problem with Garmin Connect could be you're not using the Modern View. I have found since the firmware 3.4 update I need to use the modern view plus have Garmin Express installed.
Last edited by 3DKiwi on Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:05 am

outback_67 wrote:Thanks TFM, The Garmin system seems clunky and having to use two separate programs sounds like a recipe for what I'm struggling with. Everything is all supposed to end up in the correct folders on the unit.
Strava may well be a better option, I'll check it out. Thanks again
You make the course in Garmin Connect and send it to your device, which adds it to your queue in Garmin Connect. Garmin Express is what does the Sync and takes all the stuff in your queue and loads it onto the device.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

outback_67

Postby outback_67 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:05 pm

queequeg wrote:You make the course in Garmin Connect and send it to your device, which adds it to your queue in Garmin Connect. Garmin Express is what does the Sync and takes all the stuff in your queue and loads it onto the device.
That sounds like typical Garmin logic, and is what I've been trying to do. I click send to device and Connect sits there quietly minding its own business. I start Express, and it sits in the corner sulking saying all is good.
Thanks 3DKiwi, but I've been using the modern interface. I'll just use another program,sounds like there is no shortage of them, I just need to find one that suits me.

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:34 pm

My favourite is bikeroutetoaster. Seamless and very customisable. Don't care for the Strava OR Garmin interface.
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:58 pm

Is bikeroutetoaster working again? Best feature not found elsewhere is timing with adjustable speed

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:50 pm

find_bruce wrote:Is bikeroutetoaster working again? Best feature not found elsewhere is timing with adjustable speed
It is here http://191.235.223.25/ Old domain doesn't work.

oxonabike

Postby oxonabike » Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:52 pm

In case this hasn't been mentioned, when creating a route in bikeroutetoaster, or similar, copy the file to the 'NewFiles' folder on the gamin via your trusty usb cable. When you next start it up, the route will be ready to navigate. Express etc not required for this.

When did the bikeroutetoaster url die?

Sent from my GT-N5120 using Tapatalk

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:04 am

Biketoaster died when Google change something with there maps... A year ago or more.
I do my mapping on Strava now so never really checked it again

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:30 pm

The Google Maps API changed. The site still exists if you use the IP address not the url. The OSM and other maps on the site are fine, but the Google map can hang....
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.