Downloading all activities from Garmin Connect to my computer

V17L

Downloading all activities from Garmin Connect to my computer

Postby V17L » Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:07 pm

Does anyone know a method where I can download all my activities from Garmin Connect to my computer in GPX files. It seems you can export your data into a csv file, but I am after the complete GPX files.
cheers
stevet
Giant Defy 1

A_P

Re: Downloading all activities from Garmin Connect to my computer

Postby A_P » Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:35 pm

To my knowledge its not possible, but can be done from Strava.

this is the reason i still use garmin training centre as an archive purpose

kb

Postby kb » Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:54 pm

V17L wrote:Does anyone know a method where I can download all my activities from Garmin Connect to my computer in GPX files. It seems you can export your data into a csv file, but I am after the complete GPX files.
cheers
stevet
If you're comfortable with scripting, there are a couple of Python scripts floating around on GitHub. Why GPX? The original FIT files will have more data.

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:57 pm

Sporttracks might be worth a look ... it can auto-sync to Garmin Connect, although I've not tried it with more than 1 activity at a time. See this review https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/10/spo ... matic.html

I have used SportTracks on my PC for years ... and find it way better than Strava, Garmin connect or anything else I've tried. It has
a particularly good feature for mapping tracks and graphing results, as well as simple track editing.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

V17L

Postby V17L » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:01 pm

Thanks guys.
So the answer is that we buy a device for megabucks for what it is, use it and all our data is kept by the corporation, to be used as a massive human experiment, and they can sell to other companies supposedly with non personal determinant information. What is that saying, ban me for swearing!!!

I have found this site: https://tapiriik.com which can sync between garmin and strava.

If stava allows bulk downloads, then this is an option for me. Just have to join strava I guess.
kb wrote:If you're comfortable with scripting, there are a couple of Python scripts floating around on GitHub. Why GPX? The original FIT files will have more data.
This is interesting. I am not hugely knowledgeable on Python, but its worth a try.0
Re GPX, it was a file type I knew I could input into http://www.saring.de/sportstracker/ I will have to check out what the FIT file type is and does.

Thanks guys for helping out. Any more suggestions, don't be shy with posting
cheers
stevet
Giant Defy 1

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:29 pm

V17L wrote:Thanks guys.
So the answer is that we buy a device for megabucks for what it is, use it and all our data is kept by the corporation, to be used as a massive human experiment, and they can sell to other companies supposedly with non personal determinant information. What is that saying, ban me for swearing!!!
As a one-time owner of a Garmin 705, and two Garmin 500's as well as a Bryton Rider 30, all of which expired within two years of service, I can sympathise with where you are coming from. If I had uploaded the data, it would still be there and would probably outlive me as well as their flawed devices.

Fortunately, I am even less trusting of Garmin's management of my data than of its software and/or capability to securely store my data. So I've only ever downloaded the data to my computer, and used 3rd party apps to support analysis etc.,.

As for the different file formats, GPSBabel is a free application that supports converting between the different formats. SportTracks
has a 3rd party plugin https://www.zonefivesoftware.com/sportt ... p=gpsbabel that uses GPSBabel to enable it to import and export to a wide variety of GPS file formats (including GPX, TCX, and FIT). Most of these file formats are just different types of XML files. GPX is a basic format for general purpose GPS devices. The TCX and FIT are ones which have evolved from it to provide additional fields that support additional fitness and training related data.

Doubtless, you are not the first new Garmin user to be confounded by this !
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

robbo mcs

Postby robbo mcs » Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:42 pm

Hi,

Just for reference this is easy to do with tapiriik.

Tapiriik can sync between garmin direct and dropbox. You can specify the format of the file to go to dropbox, ie gpx etc.

Get a free dropbox account on your computer, and you can sync all your garmin history in one go easily. All the files will be available in dropbox and can be cut and pasted wherever you want.

Tapiriik is really useful, you can sync between multiple sites easily.

Crefio

Postby Crefio » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:06 am

Wanted to do the same, but I'm having some weird problem, apparently related to the connection. Maybe it's due to the fact that I use proxy. But for now I hurt.

robbo mcs

Postby robbo mcs » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:43 pm

Crefio wrote:Wanted to do the same, but I'm having some weird problem, apparently related to the connection. Maybe it's due to the fact that I use proxy. But for now I hurt.
If you are trying to do it the tapiriik then it may be related to the service. For some reason it has been very slow and buggy for me the last 48 hours.