Garmin Alias File

Tim

Garmin Alias File

Postby Tim » Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:31 pm

I noticed a newly created "Alias File" at the bottom of the directory list on my old Edge 800.
I'm quite sure I didn't knowingly create it cause I haven't the faintest idea what it is. It appeared on Sept. 23'rd.
There doesn't seem to be a similar file on my 810 or 520.
Anyone know what it is?
Have I been hacked?
A Google search doesn't help much as I'm none too tech savvy and don't understand much in the relevant search results.

kb

Re: Garmin Alias File

Postby kb » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:08 pm

Tim wrote:I noticed a newly created "Alias File" at the bottom of the directory list on my old Edge 800.
I'm quite sure I didn't knowingly create it cause I haven't the faintest idea what it is. It appeared on Sept. 23'rd.
There doesn't seem to be a similar file on my 810 or 520.
Anyone know what it is?
Have I been hacked?
A Google search doesn't help much as I'm none too tech savvy and don't understand much in the relevant search results.
Are you on a Mac? Hard but not impossible to do accidentally (option-shift mouse drag from memory)

Tim

Postby Tim » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:23 am

Yes I'm on a Mac.
It may have been done accidentally as I learnt a long time ago not to mess with things I don't understand (excluding perhaps the female species :cry: ).
Is it likely to cause any problems?

kb

Postby kb » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:17 pm

Tim wrote:Yes I'm on a Mac.
It may have been done accidentally as I learnt a long time ago not to mess with things I don't understand (excluding perhaps the female species :cry: ).
Is it likely to cause any problems?
Shouldn’t cause any problems but you can just delete it. It’s basically just a special type of file that points to another file. Deleting it won’t affect the target.

Tim

Postby Tim » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:15 pm

Thanks kb.