Cell Bikes

Mububban

Re: Cell Bikes

Postby Mububban » Mon May 18, 2015 12:17 am

Anyone got further owner feedback on the Cell SS200 flat bar roadies for $400? I'm after an entry level commuter to upgrade my old heavy mountain bike. 13km each way. I'll be installing an electric motor in the front wheel that's currently in the MTB, and my MTB will become my bash-around bike for family holidays.

http://www.this link is broken/Cell-SS200- ... -Road-Bike" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Another post mentioned the Sora hubs are pretty good?

I've only just started looking but I've seen a Trek 7.1 and Merida Speeder 10 for about $550, they seem the cheapest LBS options.

I'm not interested in second hand as I don't know enough to be able to spot any subtler signs that it's been trashed.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Tue May 19, 2015 1:10 pm

For what its worth, if it was purely recreational then the SS200 would do the job. The rigors of commuting, well I dunno, I think you might find some serious wear after 6 months. Hubs are fine, its those derailers and other drivetrain bits I'm a little worried about. Same goes for the Trek 7.1 and the Merida Speeder 10.

Cell had the brilliant SS300 which had much better components on it for a steal at $550 a while back but they don't seem to be offering that bike anymore. I think you are on the right track with Trek and Merida just a little higher spec like the Trek 7.5FX or one of the higher end Merida Speeder's at 99bikes.

Anyway good luck.
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

rangersac

Postby rangersac » Tue May 19, 2015 2:27 pm

From experience I'm always a bit sceptical of cheap Alu frames lasting a decent amount of time, but then again I'm a Clyde who tends to carry a fair bit of extraneous gear so my bikes cop a fair load. However I'd say that aside from the rear der, the rest of the drivetrain is fine, although I'm not entirely sure what the shifter pods are. If they are Acera level they'll do the job, I used a set of them for a couple of years commuting and they performed perfectly well. Grab a decent second hand rear der, or a new Acera/ Alivio model and it will get you from A to B with no fuss.
De Rosa Macro | Intense Primer | Wayward Cape York | Cotic Rocket

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Tue May 19, 2015 2:54 pm

I'm lightweight and I ride with a heavy backpack for work, all up I'd say 80kg total weight of rider plus bag. I know you get what you pay for mostly and I'd love a better equipped new toy, but the budget must be adhered to :(
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

applio

Postby applio » Tue May 19, 2015 7:06 pm

I own one the ss200 n use it as everyday commute purpose, everything's seems fine, gear shift well, as I maintain the bike every now n than myself , so I don't find anything wrong with the drivetrain itself, the Sora hub are ok, roll smooth n quite, one thing than I have to say is those wheel comes with bike out of true easy, so you gotta true them occasionally.

rangersac

Postby rangersac » Tue May 19, 2015 8:38 pm

Mububban wrote:I'm lightweight and I ride with a heavy backpack for work, all up I'd say 80kg total weight of rider plus bag. I know you get what you pay for mostly and I'd love a better equipped new toy, but the budget must be adhered to :(
Given your weight you'll be fine. The bike is built to a budget, but is perfectly adequate for the knock around commuting purposes you are proposing. Even at the low end running gear on bikes these days is pretty good, extra money basically gets you slightly less maintenance, a minimal amount of weight saving and a large snob factor.
De Rosa Macro | Intense Primer | Wayward Cape York | Cotic Rocket

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:10 pm

I had a friends birthday coming up and was asked to recommend a road bike. In the budget range I couldn't go past the Cell Lappa 2. Looked at the specs, and all sizes in stock so sent her on her way with a similarly sized friend for measurement reference and do the deal.

Anyhow, while surfing the website. I wondered what the outcome would be if she had specified a lower budget. Then I found this baby:

http://www.this link is broken/Cell-Otway-1-0_251" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Say What $300. How is this even possible!

7 speed sti shifters! When did this come out. This has got to be the cheapest sti shifter bike on the planet! Good work Cell!
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:52 pm

Wow. That is seriously tempting.

I love my trusty old MTB, and the e-hub gets me up to speed and helps me on climbs, but fighting the hubs to keep it above 35kph is getting to me. Cell don't have any stores though do they to do a test ride?

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:06 am

Mububban wrote:Wow. That is seriously tempting.

I love my trusty old MTB, and the e-hub gets me up to speed and helps me on climbs, but fighting the hubs to keep it above 35kph is getting to me. Cell don't have any stores though do they to do a test ride?
Yep, only in Sydney and Melbourne though.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

CELL Bikes

Postby CELL Bikes » Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:56 pm

Calvin27 wrote:Say What $300. How is this even possible!

7 speed sti shifters! When did this come out. This has got to be the cheapest sti shifter bike on the planet! Good work Cell!
Thanks for the observation and feedback Calvin27. How is that possible you say? Low margins... What's great is that with so many choices and options for the customer, it makes bike shops who want to stay relevant lift their game! The customer is truly king. Please note, prices have been revised to reflect global currency exchange rate adjustments, so the price is different (although still a bargain compared to other choices). - website manager Mark
What do you think about our Sydney Bike Shop? Let me know! Help us improve!
http://www.this link is broken/contact-us