Which new comfy bib?

g-boaf

Re: Which new comfy bib?

Postby g-boaf » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:32 pm

trailgumby wrote:
enduro2 wrote:thanks for the advice all

I decided to purchase a pair of Assos. I can't see myself hand washing them, but will them through a delicate cycle in our front loader.
It's not the washing machine cycle, it's the detergent you use that kills them fast. Don't use regular detergents. They will degrade the chamois padding material quickly due to the enzyes they contain. They also degrade your normal clothes too, but people have come to accept that as normal wear and tear in exchange for an easier time getting out stains.

Based on advice from a few elite racers I know I use wool mix with a capful of Dettol.

This is decent advice. I'm doing the same thing. Low spin cycle too. I went a purchased some new kit recently and intend to keep it in good condition.

Wool mix and Dettol is also a lot more economical the the Assos detergent.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:51 pm

My new favourite kit is the Gran Fondo from redwhite.cc. Designed for rides over 3 hours. Works as advertised.

I tried replacing my now 3yo dhb ASV kit with their current offering, but the "improved" chamois pad didn't work for me at all, with the padding thickness inexplicably going half-height where I contact the saddle. Not only acutely uncomfortable but acute saddle sores within 50km. Me being on anticoagulation may explain that in part, but my tiring ASV kit is still mostly OK on that front.

To their credit, wiggle accepted the worn pair back and gave me full refund for all the sets I'd bought.

Thanks to the new redwhite.cc knicks I have been able to complete 2 metric centuries in the last month - I had been beginning to despair I wouldever return to that. The new "CC" chamois cream seems to have been a factor in that as well. I liked the Chamois Butt'r I had been using, but the switch to CC has dramatically reduced the frequency of the dreaded subcataneous blood blisters.

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:18 pm

First ride on the Assos T Centro S7 from Merlin for $196. Wanted to try it for the Kuku Penthouse (or watch people's strange reaction when I say kuku penthouse - they usually back away slowly and go ...yeah cuckoo).

Actually really good on the first ride. Maybe a little euro short in leg length but chamois is nice and kuku is pretty good. Co co cool. Wouldnt pay regular price for them but under $200 isnt a bad buy.

So early days but this bib is likely to be my second favourite. So between the Assos F1i5 S5 or whatever its called (top of the range one in S5) being first and Rapha Classic bib being third. Big gap and then a lot of others Cuore, Campy, Skins, Ground effect, Cheap Aldi ones etc.
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:00 am

I also recommend the Assos chamois cream, that stuff is really good.

It's not exactly on topic for here, but if you are riding huge kms every little bit helps.

Assos also has a skin repair cream that is for after you've finished riding, it also seems to have miracle abilities to settle down irritated skin.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:43 am

trailgumby wrote:My new favourite kit is the Gran Fondo from redwhite.cc.....
I have a pair waiting for me at work too.

It’s interesting what does and doesn’t work, but it can be painful when it doesn’t !!

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:56 am

MichaelB wrote:

It’s interesting what does and doesn’t work, but it can be painful when it doesn’t !!
Yes - and on my list of DO NOT USE is Mavic bib shorts. Not good at all. Padding is terrible, fit is unusual. These are the official kits of the Mavic Haute Route events, and it's interesting to see how many people don't wear them. :wink:

That's the kit here: https://www.hauteroute.org/riders-corne ... /equipment (in the banner).

I've got two lots of it, both are not good. Padding ended up feeling like sand paper.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:38 pm

MichaelB wrote:

Oh yes. It most certainly can be. I won't go into detail - too much information.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:08 pm

trailgumby wrote:
MichaelB wrote:
trailgumby wrote:
Oh yes. It most certainly can be. I won't go into detail - too much information.
Don’t worry, I won’t ask nor provide any info !!
8)

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:06 pm

Had a quick glance at the last page of this thread again today.

I am impressed by those who cbfed doing special washes etc with their knicks.
Mine are just bunged in general duty.
I have informed everyone not to put the machine on hot cycle or my bike gear in the dryer. Doesn't always work.
Safest to set the machine myself.

With respect to brand and type of chamois I can wear anything really. 4 metric centuries in 4 consecutive days using 3 different brands of bib. (Bloody festive 500)
I have a saddle and set up that fits and all good. A bit of chamois cream is all I use.
3 different bikes for that matter. All set up very similarly with fizik ariones, that seem to agree with my butt.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:22 pm

The RedWhite “The Bib” are doing really well.
Will definitely be getting more as the bank balance allows !!

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:45 pm

Tried Attaquer Race bib shorts, in black with reflective logos, just like this:

https://attaquercycling.com/collections ... ctive-logo

In general, they look nice but the fit is strange. Small doesn't fit like other small in Attaquer kit and the padding doesn't seem very comfortable over long distances. I wouldn't recommend them.

So for now I'd continue to recommend the Rapha Pro Team Flyweight Bib Shorts if you are riding huge kilometres. Comfortable fit, excellent padding. They are also good in hot weather.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:15 am

g-boaf wrote:Tried Attaquer Race bib shorts, in black with reflective logos, just like this ...
$300 :shock:

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:04 am

MichaelB wrote:
g-boaf wrote:Tried Attaquer Race bib shorts, in black with reflective logos, just like this ...
$300 :shock:
Fortunately I didn’t pay that price. A lot of people wear them but I don’t know how. Must be tougher than I am.

AndrewCowley

Postby AndrewCowley » Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:09 pm

Signed up to the Red White web site and got a discount and purchased their Fondo bibs for only $120 with free shipping. Hope they are good.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:49 am

AndrewCowley wrote:Signed up to the Red White web site and got a discount and purchased their Fondo bibs for only $120 with free shipping. Hope they are good.
Did the same and am not disappointed. They are damn good !!

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:21 pm

Any users of La Passione bibs ?

CaffeineAU

Postby CaffeineAU » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:09 pm

My redwhite knicks are still going well, 8 months after purchase.

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:44 pm

AndrewCowley wrote:Signed up to the Red White web site and got a discount and purchased their Fondo bibs for only $120 with free shipping. Hope they are good.
Ditto just now, but Race bibs. Good deal!
Got a jersey too, though their race jerseys were only available in pink or bright pink. Would have liked the orange, but sold out...

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:18 am

MattyK wrote:
Ditto just now, but Race bibs. Good deal!
Got a jersey too, though their race jerseys were only available in pink or bright pink. Would have liked the orange, but sold out...
Also looked at their jerseys, but none of the clearance ones in my size, so stuck with ordering 2 x Fondo bibs :D

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:58 pm

Assos Equipe RS bib shorts S9 - seem pretty good.

Just tried them on a trainer ride, maybe they really do live up to the hype. Expensive though!

Small size matches the fit of Cuore - but for me these are a bit better for padding. Better than MAAP, but better than Rapha as well.

The Assos shorts, I liked the way the leg gripper material fits, it isn’t too tight but does keep them in place. The padding seems generous without being bulky. Remains to see how they go in longer use.

One thing to remember is that I wash my cycling kit in wool mix with a small splash of dettol. Also don’t leave it to soak, and only on the lowest spin setting. This keeps them in good condition for longer.