Commute time. Help estimate.

stryker84

Commute time. Help estimate.

Postby stryker84 » Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:43 pm

Okay, thinking of doing a commute of abt 10km each way, how long would you estimate it'd take per direction?

Just give me what you times guys would post, and then i'll add ~20 mins to take into account my fitness and experience... well, lack of.

for those familiar with melbourne, from parkville, to the austin hospital at heidelberg
going east along park street, and then alongside the trainlines for as much as i can to heidelberg. no idea what the terrain is like yet, i'll find out first time i attempt it, unless one of you can tell me.

Edit: My bad, just realised I posted in the wrong forum, if anyone can move this threadto general, go right ahead!

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:59 pm

Depends on the roads and your fitness.

30minutes door to door.
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:02 pm

I'd allow half an hour too. You can always adjust it as you get fitter and faster.

Richard
no, I'm not going to shift it, you can just suffer where it is :twisted:

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:06 pm

You could conservatively say 15km an hour, which would be 40 minutes. That's what I was doing when I first started riding again, with a lot of hills.

Now if I were doing it as a drive for speed, and it was flat-ish, then I could probably average 25km/hr over 10km, which would be about 24 minutes. But I'd then arrive really sweaty and buggered and spend the next 10 minutes gasping and drinking water.

Best way is to scout it first, on a non-work day, and see how you go.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:28 pm

There's a lot of variables.

My fastest time over 10k is 10 minutes (60kmh average), but thats with a strong tail wind and around 10 very fit riders doing a paceline on the red line.

My slowest time over 10k would be around an hour, which included fixing to flats.

What will happen is that your first few commutes will probably be considerbly slower than the time you settle in to, as you get use to the commuting, not just fitness, but also understanding the dynamics of the ride, for example there may be 2 lights, where if you put a bit more in, you can catch the sync and save 3 minute not waiting for the next sequence.
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Mr888

Postby Mr888 » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:49 pm

It also depends on the type of bike you're riding. (road vs mountain vs hybrid)

I think I've mentioned this on one of the other threads, but my commute to work everyday (about 14 km on reletively flat terrain), use to take me close to an hour when I first started on a K-Mart special a few years back.

I now ride a high end racer and I average the trip in 20minutes (fastest time 16minutes 52seconds, with busted lungs and popped heirnia :oops: )
I've recently tried doing the trail with a mountain bike (no slicks) and did it in 37 minutes.

Haven't tried with a hybrid yet...any comments?...Richard...Donald????

beauyboy

Postby beauyboy » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:36 pm

Ok I was going to sit back and watch but since I was bought up.
Mate I can not remember what you ride so I am guessin but would say 30-40 mins.
As for the hybrid thing. Well on my commute to tafe yesterday evening I had two Roadies over take me going up a steep hill. Well until my turn off I was on there tails all the way. There is no doubt that hybrids can not match a roadies but they can still give them a run for the money. And Hell the way I treat the bike while riding I don't thing a Roadie would like it much.

Donald
BCC give us some more bikeways fore safe travel!!!!
Upgrade the NCL now QR!!!!!!
http://nakedcyclistbrissy.blogspot.com/
My views do not represent any organisation I may be apart of unless otherwise stated

commi

Postby commi » Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:28 pm

Man I feel like a slug. I avg 21mins for my 7.7km commute from Windsor to Collingwood. I go through the city via St Kilda Rd (I don't dare ride on Punt Rd)...Avg speed 22km/h. That's about as fast as I'm willing to go with so much car and pedestrian traffic. I had to yell at one person stepping out between parked cars and one stupid driver who decided take up half the cycling lane today

gururug

Postby gururug » Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:37 pm

30mins is a good ballpark figure for reasonably flat terrain and a newbie rider with a not unhealthy fitness level.

beauyboy

Postby beauyboy » Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:41 pm

Thats not to slow. My commute to tafe is only 7ks as well.
To tafe average time is 20-23mins. personal best 19mins
Homeward journy avarege time 19mins. personal best is 17.5mins
Speed is always dependent on route geometry. I console myself with the fact that only a few roadies have ever overtaken me and left me behind.

As for pedestrians well I am heavy on the bell alot of the time. :P

Donald
BCC give us some more bikeways fore safe travel!!!!
Upgrade the NCL now QR!!!!!!
http://nakedcyclistbrissy.blogspot.com/
My views do not represent any organisation I may be apart of unless otherwise stated

commi

Postby commi » Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:46 pm

beauyboy wrote:As for pedestrians well I am heavy on the bell alot of the time. :P
I find screaming at people much more effective. Especially in the CBD where there are so many noises. A couple of dings dings just doesn't cut it.

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:08 pm

I made the mistake of commuting home one day. It killed my position and made bits hurt that don't normally hurt on the same distance (30km). Oh yeah...the laptop might have had something to do with that :? Suggest if you have one of these, add time...I dunno, maybe 15 minutes...as it ain't pleasant.

Moo...

bigkev

Postby bigkev » Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:03 pm

i agree depends on the road i do 10km in 15min