Thoughts - drop bars on tri/TT frame 4 road duty/aero 4 race

Questions about purchasing bicycles and parts

Thoughts - drop bars on tri/TT frame 4 road duty/aero 4 race

Postby uncle arthur » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:09 pm

Would it be wrong to have an extra cockpit for something like this for road duty, and swap to the aero setup for tris?

I ask because I have a chance to get into one of these 2nd hand, but would like the flexibility. Otherwise I'm looking at $4k for a new Soloist S1.....
What is it with cycling? 30+ kmh and lycra???!!!
uncle arthur

by BNA » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:39 pm

BNA

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:39 pm

Haven't ridden a Tri bike Unk so...

The seat tube is near vertical, great for Tris, but how will it be in general riding. Don't Tri bikes typically run different head angles too?

IMO, the only way to be sure would be a test ride with the drops fitted if the shop will be in it.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Parrott » Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:28 am

Looks like you can slide the saddle back on the rails to make the seat tube angle less steep. It depends on what your priorities are I guess. I have recently bought a P2C and it is much faster for tt's than a road bike, even one set up with the saddle forward and clip ons insitu. I have never tried it with road bars on though, I've probably had the steerer cut to short now to do so, it's fairly low in the nose. I have seen a tt frame set up with road bars on in a Bendigo bicycle store so it can be done I guess, but you may find that it is less than ideal in the same way a road bike is slower than a tt bike for tts. ie uncomfortable for long periods, doesn't climb well?

What is wrong with keeping the cell for training and bunch racing and getting the cervelo pictured for tris? If you are keen on tris a purpose built bike should be quicker.

I think it would be a major PITA to regularly swap bars given all the cabling would need to be changed each time also.
Parrott

Postby uncle arthur » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:35 am

Parrott wrote:Looks like you can slide the saddle back on the rails to make the seat tube angle less steep. It depends on what your priorities are I guess. I have recently bought a P2C and it is much faster for tt's than a road bike, even one set up with the saddle forward and clip ons insitu. I have never tried it with road bars on though, I've probably had the steerer cut to short now to do so, it's fairly low in the nose. I have seen a tt frame set up with road bars on in a Bendigo bicycle store so it can be done I guess, but you may find that it is less than ideal in the same way a road bike is slower than a tt bike for tts. ie uncomfortable for long periods, doesn't climb well?

What is wrong with keeping the cell for training and bunch racing and getting the cervelo pictured for tris? If you are keen on tris a purpose built bike should be quicker.

I think it would be a major PITA to regularly swap bars given all the cabling would need to be changed each time also.

I would keep the CELL but it needed to be sold to appease SWMBO into allowing a new bike. It went yesterday, hence the advert is gone.
What is it with cycling? 30+ kmh and lycra???!!!
uncle arthur

Postby Parrott » Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:23 pm

If its only going to be one bike the S1 would have to be the pick out of the two. The whole handlebar/cable and shifter changing would be too much of a hassle for me. Just get some of these as well.
Parrott

Postby Parrott » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:34 pm

Hope thishelps. Haven't bought off them before, pretty good price ,pity about the exchange rate though :cry:
Parrott

Return to Buying a bike / parts