Stolen wheels need replacing

jzell67

Stolen wheels need replacing

Postby jzell67 » Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:36 am

Some chump in my unit block has stolen the wheels off my bike :?

Its a Giant Sedona LX bike. Not expensive but used regularly as Im using the bike to help recover from a few work injuries.

Both had quick release wheels and on the back wheel there was a Shimano FH-M475 Hub and those Disc brakes

What Im basically after is to just replace them without going overboard in the $$$$ as Im broke.

Anybody got any suggestions re;

1) What items I can replace them with
2) Should I buy the items seperately and put it together
3) Where in Sydney can I buy the whole wheels. I can only find tyres online.
4) Should I just go to Kmart/Rebel a buy their most expensive wheels.

Any advice given would be much appreciated

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:11 am

Don't go to Kmart or Rebel - that's just buying junk.

Go to a decent bike shop and have a yarn.

If you tell us where you are, someone might be able to recommend a second hand shop.

Richard

jzell67

Postby jzell67 » Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:30 am

Im in Pyrmont, Sydney

Thanks

europa

Postby europa » Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:42 am

I can't remember the names, but there are some second bike shops in Sydney - a search of the forum should turn up the names.

Richard

rider06

Postby rider06 » Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:44 am

before i gave up on a rebuild project i noticed that cellbikes had 26" wheelsets for a reasonable price - you would still need to replace your cassette, tyres and tubes on top of that though (http://www.this link is broken) good luck with the search

beauyboy

Postby beauyboy » Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:07 am

Not to say "i told you say" thing but when you get your new wheels get rid of the Quick release. I know that it is a handy thing but to be completely honest how often do you use it? I have had my discovey for near two years now and I am yet to have to pull the wheel off the thing.
The reason for replacing the Quick Release was simple. I have scene many bike on the streets that have had there front wheel removed. Yes some of them were by the owner so it did not get nicked but others were stolen and the bike (Big W Special) was abandened.

Next thing to be removed will be the Quick release on my seat post. I do not like the idea of riding home with no seat :shock: . That is i remember next time I take it in for service.

Donald
BCC give us some more bikeways fore safe travel!!!!
Upgrade the NCL now QR!!!!!!
http://nakedcyclistbrissy.blogspot.com/
My views do not represent any organisation I may be apart of unless otherwise stated

tuco

Postby tuco » Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:12 am

How sure are that it was a chump from your unit block?

Next set, engrave your name into the rim, shouldn't be too hard to find them within the unit block then.

Also check your contents insurance. Some policies do cover items like bicycles.

europa

Postby europa » Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:12 am

Nah, keep the quick release. Makes changing tubes much more fun (you don't have to carry a spanner). Makes it easier to stuff the bike into the back of a car. When chaining your bike you can flip off the front wheel, sit it next to the bike and chain the lot together, making the whole exercise of stealing it just that little bit harder (as a disincentive - you'll never stop someone who wants it).

But in essence, I agree with Donald. You probably don't use them all that often but by cripes, when you do need them, they're handy.

Richard

beauyboy

Postby beauyboy » Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:18 am

I forgot to add that my bolts use an allan key to release them so you are not caring anymore hardware then normal.

Donald
My views do not represent any organisation I may be apart of unless otherwise stated

europa

Postby europa » Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:25 am

beauyboy wrote:I forgot to add that my bolts use an allan key to release them so you are not caring anymore hardware then normal.

Donald
Ahh, you've got those tricky quick releases - I keep looking at them and wondering. What are they like? Worth the money and effort?

Richard

europa

Postby europa » Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:28 am

Actually Donald, how about a seperate thread as a product report - they are very interesting.

Richard

jzell67

Postby jzell67 » Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:55 am

tuco wrote:How sure are that it was a chump from your unit block?

Next set, engrave your name into the rim, shouldn't be too hard to find them within the unit block then.
Only people with access to the garage have to have a swipe. I suppose any !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! can get in though all they have to do is buzz someones apartment and some dopey bugger will let them in.

Good idea about the engraving. Ill remember that for the next set :/

Im more pissed off because I was putting the lock through the back wheel but stopped as my flatmate (Has the same bike but midget sized) broke a couple of the spokes getting the cable lock out from the wheel.

Stoopid me, Stoopid me.....!!!!! :cry:

So any idea of replacement cost.... Its a 17inch bike.

beauyboy

Postby beauyboy » Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:01 pm

No need for a seperate thread.
Go to www.bbbparts.com and look up wheelfixed.
They are basicly a quick release with an allan key thingy :P instead of the release handle. They are quite interesting to look at cos unless you look closely you would not have a clue how to undo them. As for removing the wheel? well when i took the Discovery up to the shop to have the back wheel fixed :evil: . All it required was a Qucik turn of an llan key and the wheel was off. I can't remember what the cost was but it was less the $30. Piece of mind and a little more security when locking the bike up, yep they are worth it to me.

Donald

I forgot to addfor all those that worry about extra grams of bike weight, they are about half the weight of quick relase. :P

cludence

Postby cludence » Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:29 pm

Try the bikeclub at Newtown. www.bikeclub.wordpress.com They have heaps of secondhand wheels. Not sure what quality they are but might be worth a look until you can afford something better. I have wheels out here (Toongabbie) but they are nothing special and no disc brakes. You are welcome to have a look if you are stuck.

Karen.

sogood

Postby sogood » Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:25 pm

jzell67 wrote:Im in Pyrmont, Sydney
Cell bikes and Nunnery in Newtown are both options. And don't forget eBay.

I also came across this Universe Cycles (?) in Paramatta which has a bit of a collection of second hand equipments. They are located on the east side of Church St about 2-3 blocks north of Victoria Rd intersection.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

jzell67

Postby jzell67 » Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:31 pm

Thanks for the advice everybody.

Will see what I can come up with. Fingers crossed.... :D

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:35 pm

Since your in Pyrmont, go to Cell Bikes in Stanmore.
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

jzell67

Postby jzell67 » Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:09 pm

mikesbytes wrote:Since your in Pyrmont, go to Cell Bikes in Stanmore.
I sure will. I checked out the website. Very informative.

I got the bikes from Ashfield cycles so Ill go and see what they can do as well.

Thanks

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:48 pm

I'll be dropping by at Cell around 7pm on Thursday, with a wheel straped to my back.

As you will be needing a cassette, unless the bike is pretty much new, would suggest getting a new chain to match the new cassette
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

stryker84

Postby stryker84 » Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:37 pm

beauyboy wrote:Next thing to be removed will be the Quick release on my seat post. I do not like the idea of riding home with no seat :shock: . That is i remember next time I take it in for service.
bah, who needs saddles? just stand on the pedals all the way home. the further you live the better. builds character. make you strong! :P

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:33 pm

G'Day, jzell67 sorry to hear you're off the road, bike thieves are right up there with big aggro dogs and Iplugged joggers on my "things to bury a point clip in" list. :evil:
europa wrote:Actually Donald, how about a seperate thread as a product report - they are very interesting.

Richard

I'm with Donald here, BBBs slow release skewers work a treat.
I think they are one of the few bikebits that successfully challenge Bontragers law too. :?
The only problem, if that, is faffing about in the saddlebag to find that 5mm key (so tuck a spare in the side pouch ya dill :roll: ) Ummm, was I just thinking out loud?

At risk of sounding like an advert for BBB, if you don't have them, why the hell not?, the weight saving alone makes them worthwhile, then add the security aspect. Did I mention the great minimalist look to them too?

Shaun

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:06 am

I'd go for pitlocks if I had expensive QR wheels. Requiring an Allen key would probably deter most casual theft though, and if you're only nipping into a shop for five minutes, the persistent thief probably won't have time to go and get their Allen keys.

tinstaafl

Postby tinstaafl » Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:56 am

beauyboy wrote:Go to www.bbbparts.com and look up wheelfixed.
They look magic. Is it a case of a straight swap for the cam action quick release?

Robert

timbo

Postby timbo » Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:55 am

I Bought a set of the slow-release skewers awhile ago. They are not BBB brand (that wasn't a stutter) but came in a pack with front and rear wheel skewers and a seat-post clamp as well, as most MTB's have a quick release seat-post. Mine used a five sided allen key to undo them and while it will stop people who think they are smart enough to carry an allen key to get around the problem of wheel removal, it may be a bit of overkill, especially if you lose the special 5 sided allen key. Mikesbytes may be able to confirm this, but my LBS always had a couple of the allen keys around the workshop because he said track cyclists aren't allowed to use quick release systems.

europa

Postby europa » Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:02 am

I just had visions of me in a rainstorm, flat tyre, five sided allen key disappearing into the mud and bark at my feet :shock:

Richard
is the coffee ready yet?