Road Shoes made for Walking...

arope99

Road Shoes made for Walking...

Postby arope99 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:10 am

Hi,

I'm looking a pair of road shoes that's also designed for walking. Is there any such shoes. I'd like to have a shoes that I can walk around as well after parking the bike.

Cheers.

DanielS

Postby DanielS » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:40 am

Lake make them. Their website is down at the moment, but they do exist...

The Lake shoes are walkable shoes for three bolt ("road") cleats.

Any old mountain bike shoe will work for road riding too, but you will probably be limited to smaller mountain bike cleat/pedal systems.

sogood

Postby sogood » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:48 am

Crank Brother's system can be universally fitted to both MTB (2 holes) and road (3 holes) shoes. Their Quattro pedal is designed specifically for road shoes but can also accept regular MTB styled shoes.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

fatherofmany
Location: Central Coast NSW Australia 33°26'16"S 151°20'39.50"E ish

Postby fatherofmany » Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:35 am

I use Specialized MTB shoes with clipless. Similar reasoning, I wanted to walk (sacrilege) as well as ride. and with the commute, I wont fall over on the platform when putting the bike on the train.
15 Bikes 2 adults 6 children, 2 dogs, 10 chooks and a heck of a lot of fish

stryker84

Postby stryker84 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:45 pm

AFAIK, the Lake shoes (some models) have a bit of a ridged thread to help walking, if you want Look style cleats.

For CB, the Quattro model cleat/pedal is basically the Egg-Beater, but has pontoons to give some stability when awlking as well as a wider pedal ontact area.

Just what I've heard, di a bit of looking into them, but haven't got the finances yet to replace the secondhand cleats/pedals or the cheapo shoes I've got.

arope99

Postby arope99 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:33 pm

I've just got myself a Specialized MTB shoes with the Crack Bro Smarty pedal. I find it quite hard still to clip in the cleats (seems that the spring is too tight). Any suggestion to make it easier?

sogood

Postby sogood » Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:52 pm

arope99 wrote:I've just got myself a Specialized MTB shoes with the Crack Bro Smarty pedal. I find it quite hard still to clip in the cleats (seems that the spring is too tight). Any suggestion to make it easier?
There's no such thing as "spring is too tight" for Crank Bros' pedal design. It's never too tight.

I suspect you aren't doing it right that's all. Read the instruction and practice.

mikeg

Postby mikeg » Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:56 pm

arope99 wrote:I've just got myself a Specialized MTB shoes with the Crack Bro Smarty pedal. I find it quite hard still to clip in the cleats (seems that the spring is too tight). Any suggestion to make it easier?
You may need to put the spacer provided, between the cleat and the shoe for shoes with deep tread, or the tread is encroaching on the cleat region, and preventing entry of the pedal clips into this region. In this case, you may need to cut away some of the tread to create clearance.

The cleat generally should be just flush with or just below the surrounding tread.
Mike G.

CAMWEST member

alchemist

Postby alchemist » Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:14 pm

sogood wrote:Their Quattro pedal is designed specifically for road shoes but can also accept regular MTB styled shoes.
Which is quite handy if in the dark of the early hours of the morning you grab 1 MTB shoe and very similar looking road shoe...
I did have a problem with and older specialized mtb shoe and the quattro pedals and had to shave a bit of the tread, but never needed to put in any of the spacers with mtb shoe/pedal combinations (have used every Crank Bros style except Smarty)

sogood

Postby sogood » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:35 pm

alchemist wrote:I did have a problem with and older specialized mtb shoe and the quattro pedals and had to shave a bit of the tread...
That's quite common given the large inboard bearing cover. But it really is pretty trivial.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:58 pm

I've got a pair of Lake shoes for my Shimano MTB cleats, very comfy shoe, looks a bit like a casual skate sho. Comfy on the bike and off. Very well padded and comfy around the achilles especially.

arope99

Postby arope99 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:27 am

Problem solved.. the cleat is the problem. Went back to the shop this morning, and they changed to a set of new cleats. Works fine now.

JustinD

Postby JustinD » Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:44 pm

sogood wrote:Crank Brother's system can be universally fitted to both MTB (2 holes) and road (3 holes) shoes. Their Quattro pedal is designed specifically for road shoes but can also accept regular MTB styled shoes.
I use their Eggbeater pedals on my commuter with Nike MTB shoes. It enables me to walk into my office building without security getting nasty about the tiled atrium and cleats scratching the floor. I also like the Eggbeater pedals for commuting as you can so easily clip in without looking (far safer, in my opinion, for taking off at lights with lots of traffic).
Justin
------------
Trek 5.2
Specialized Rockhopper '93 vintage & commuter
early 80s Gitane 531 road bike (work in progress to flat bar )