Peugeot Road Bike

Questions about purchasing bicycles and parts

Peugeot Road Bike

Postby camelliott » Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:39 pm

Hi all

I know its not buying, but i cannot buy my Giant Talon until this sells...soo, here is the question. I will post a proper ad in the new for sale section once i work out how much it is worth...

Ive got a 2002-2003 (cant remember) Peugeot Road bike that i am looking to sell. It has Full Veloce gear, it is a steel frame, and the only markings that it has on it as to a model is the word "competition". It is a large size (I am 6'2, and about 100kg and it fits me perfectly) and it is in fantastic nick because i have never really ridden it all that much. My question is, how the hell do i work out what it is worth as i cannot for the life of me find any reference to it on the net anywhere at all. From memory i paid around $2.5k for it...is $500 too much/little to ask?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Cam
camelliott

by BNA » Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:43 pm

BNA

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:43 pm

Hi, no reference on the net at all?

A lot of the guys in this forum use ebay. It can help you get a feeling for prices however sometimes tends to be a bit over-inflated. I would check with the .co.uk and .com sites as well. Peugeot bicycles are more common in Europe so this may be an idea.

$500 does does sound like a bargin based upon your purchase price, the age and the condition as described. One tactic would be to price it a little higher and write "negotiable".

Cheers
Christopher
AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:54 pm

Wishin' I was 6'2" tall... :(
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby europa » Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:45 pm

Ride it over to Adelaide and I'll make you an offer :D

Sadly, I couldn't afford her, but she sounds like the racer I'd like to have in my future :(

Price? Work out what she's worth to you (not to someone else, to YOU), and put her on ebay with that figure as your minimum bid. If no-one bids, you know she's a keeper and you need to be asking yourself why you're selling her. If she sells, well you've got your answer :wink:

Richard
europa

Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby LuckyPierre » Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:39 pm

More details -and a photo or two please.
What kind of steel? 4130 or 531? Columbus? It will impact on potential buyers' willingness to pay.
9- or 10-speed Veloce?
What kind of wheels?
Anything that you can provide will make a difference. There's been a few sellers with pretty high expectations on eBay recently.
LuckyPierre

Postby camelliott » Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:30 pm

thanks for the replies guys...sorry about the delay in the reply...

the bike is 9speed on the back, 2 on the front, frame is columbus but i cant see what type/number the steel is. im gonna whack it up on ebay in the next couple of days once i find a digital camera to gauge a response, ive never used ebay so wish me luck.

Cheers
Cam
camelliott

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:38 pm

Still wishin' I was 6'2" tall... :(

She sounds yummy, Cam, but so does the Talon.
What have you been quoted on the Talon?
Tim's got a 25% off sale happening. :wink:

Good luck with the Ebaying.

Shaun
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby camelliott » Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:07 pm

Hi all

again, sorrry for the delays but i dont always have internet access to check the board...

aaanyway, i managed to get $600 for the bike through a guy i work with which i was happy with in the end considering i didnt get around to advertising it officially. this meant i picked up the Talon 4 weekends ago and have been enjoying immensely ever since! (Note: I dont know if its allowed on here or not, but i cant say enough about the service we got from Sean at Goldcross Cycles in Camberwell. He kept the budget under control, answered all my stupid questions without laughing and put us under no pressure whatsoever to buy from him. He was the only salesperson i spoke to over a six week period who suggested shopping around for the best deal)

After having not ridden a MTB for years, and having spent a lot of money on the one i used to have, it was a surprise to be able to spend not much more than $1k and have a bike with stuff that would have pushed the price well over $3k in my day. i went out to lysterfield for a ride with my girlfriend 3 weeks ago who also got a bike (her first ever) and terrorised all those people who are actually good at riding.

My question...where do people go mtbing around the city (east hawthorn in particular) short of riding to studley park where most trails are walking trails only?
camelliott

Return to Buying a bike / parts