Feedback on Shogun roadbikes

Questions about purchasing bicycles and parts

Feedback on Shogun roadbikes

Postby Halfanewb » Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:02 pm

Hi all i've been lucky enough to stumble across these forums , your experiences and tales of getting fit have been a great help, especially the ones about big guys getting fit :)

Ive been contemplating buying a road bike and having a Shogun flat bar bike to get to a reasonable level of fitness, when i saw the shogun team issue i was impressed with the gear on it http://www.shogunbicycles.com.au/ .

however i would really appreciate any feedback as i've seen comments that say some manufacturers concentrate on the running gear but don't put a lot of quality into the frame.

gotta run getting wife aggro as dinner is on the table
look forward to posting again

thanks in advance.
Halfanewb

by BNA » Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:13 pm

BNA

Postby MJF » Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:13 pm

I have an '06 Shogun Metro GS, just clocked up 612 K after five & a bit weeks of ownership.

Frame appears to be O.K., welding is average quality. Components seem to be mix & match - my front derailleur is Alivio not Deore like the rest of the group set (and bent three times so far due to chain catching when I don't back off for long enough), front hub is no-name brand, and I don't like the welding on the front forks (end of the weld is badly done and has created a stress raiser). From new the front rim strip was incorrect, and stuffed the front tube. Rear derailleur is very picky about perfect adjustment, and has given me grief on a few occasions. Standard tyres suck - very noisy. And the suspension seat post has just started to play up.

Overall, considering I weigh ~124kg, it seems to be holding up well. My previous bike came with crap front suspension (shocks always sticking so suspension didn't move), and I bent three rear axles (spin-on freewheel, not cassette, so not as strong).

Hopefully, in another 20 - 25kg, I'll be swapping to a road bike...
MJF

Postby Halfanewb » Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:59 pm

MJF wrote:Overall, considering I weigh ~124kg, it seems to be holding up well. My previous bike came with crap front suspension (shocks always sticking so suspension didn't move), and I bent three rear axles (spin-on freewheel, not cassette, so not as strong).

Hopefully, in another 20 - 25kg, I'll be swapping to a road bike...

I hear that :) the wheels on my metro at kept busting spokes so the LBS hoffy cycles at sandgate set me up with a pair of velocity dyads and that fixed that problem.

i didnt think that getting another shogun would be a part of the game plan but a local shop has one for sale for 1700$ considering the running gear the bike (shogun teamissue) has a full set of ultegra and r500 wheels its really tempting. I get nervous when i look at those wheels though.

Like i was saying in my op, frame quality is something i don't know a lot about. i had a peek at the welds and it struck me that in this day and age with robotic welding that these looked hand welded, looks a bit like toothpaste squeezed out of the tube.

hehe yea another 25kg is my goal too and i was going to stick with the metro until i lost it and was using the bike to full potential (which i'm not atm /chants cadence cadence), but the price is making me want to jump the gun.
Halfanewb

Postby MJF » Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:29 am

Hmmm - no broken spokes in ~ 1000Km since November. I mustn't be trying hard enough.

Re welding - yes, done by hand, but I think you will find it to be the case for just about all frames. The key is a good weld - no 'dips' in the weld bead or undercutting ot the material being joined (insufficient rod used), and the end of each the weld should overlap the start (for tubes), or continue round the end of any brackets etc. You can't tell if there is good weld penetration without x-raying the object... I think the warranty on the frame is probably the best indication of quality.
MJF

Postby wndrdr1111 » Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:45 am

I used to have a second hand shogun mach 3 (converted to drop bars) as my first road bike. Only rode it for 3 weeks or so before I got hooked and moved on to a better bike. I had no problems with the shogun, I did around 400kms on it before I sold it, no problems with the frame or running gear (shimano 105). The wheels (shimano r500) were fine too but I am only around 90kgs.

Now I ride a 07 cervelo team soloist, but have changed the wheels from r550 to easton vista. I have read too many bad reports about r550 wheels (broken spokes, wheels going out of true) to risk it. Very happy with the vistas, no problems at all so far (my cervelo is nearing around 1000km mark).

Can't you upgrade the wheels to something better?

Cheers,
Tom
wndrdr1111

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:05 am

wndrdr1111 wrote:I used to have a second hand shogun mach 3 (converted to drop bars) as my first road bike. Only rode it for 3 weeks or so before I got hooked and moved on to a better bike. I had no problems with the shogun, I did around 400kms on it before I sold it, no problems with the frame or running gear (shimano 105). The wheels (shimano r500) were fine too but I am only around 90kgs.

Now I ride a 07 cervelo team soloist, but have changed the wheels from r550 to easton vista. I have read too many bad reports about r550 wheels (broken spokes, wheels going out of true) to risk it. Very happy with the vistas, no problems at all so far (my cervelo is nearing around 1000km mark).

Cheers,
Tom

Nice bike Tom, I'm jellous.

Yeh, heard plenty of bad press on the r550/r560 wheels, where others have had a clean run. The Easton Vista's must of cost a pretty packet, how do you find them?

Have a nice day
training log
ImageImageImage
A helmet saved my life
mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby wndrdr1111 » Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:12 am

Thanks, soloist is indeed a nice bike. I love it.

The vistas didn't cost me anything extra, the LBS was happy just to swap them over. From what I read vistas are a budget wheel, not particularly light or aero but fairly solid and well priced. I think they are pretty good but then again I can only compare them to the shimanos on the shogun (which is a bit hard since we are talking totally different bikes, tyres etc).

Cheers,
Tom
wndrdr1111

Postby Halfanewb » Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:41 am

wndrdr1111 wrote:

Cheers,
Tom

I was thinking of getting another pair of velocity rims http://www.velocityusa.com/default.asp?contentID=539

some prices i have sourced list them as approx $550 being able to order them from the lbs would give me the chance to have them made up with the maximum no. of spokes fitted. the dyads i'm using now are tough as nails and being 134kg and counting down i'm impressed at the punishment they can take.

the downside is that once i add the cost of the extra rims then i would be up around the price bracket of the cell victory which looks like a sweeet bike /homer drool i'm a sucker for red and white bikes too hehhe
Halfanewb

Return to Buying a bike / parts