Cheap Tyres

Questions about purchasing bicycles and parts

Cheap Tyres

Postby senator52 » Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:00 pm

Just after a cheap set of good, long lasting tyres. Atm i have an old roadie and the tyres are def due for a replacement. Found Michelin Speediums for $25 each on probikekit ($50 at LBS) and was going to buy a pair. Do you think these will be appropriate for my purpose, i just ride/train, no racing and more expensive tyres seem unnessary atm because of the quality of my bike and components. Any other suggestions? or will i be fine with these? And a last question, has ur experience with probikekit been a good one? ie. Safe online transactions etc...appreciate comments from those with more experience :D thanks
senator52

by BNA » Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:43 pm

BNA

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:43 pm

Never had a problem with www.probikekit.com

$18 postage except big things like wheels.

Have a nice day
training log
ImageImageImage
A helmet saved my life
mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby LuckyPierre » Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:07 pm

Torpedo7 have Rubino Pro's for $30 at the moment - that's a pretty good price!
LuckyPierre

Postby senator52 » Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:11 pm

Why are the tyres so cheap??? Are they seconds, or is it just the benefits of bulk buying?
senator52

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:37 pm

LuckyPierre wrote:Torpedo7 have Rubino Pro's for $30 at the moment - that's a pretty good price!

Thats a good buy and I considered buying them. They are the wire bead ones at 230gms, where the weight wenies would go for the kevlar bead ones at 210gms.

In North Sydney a shop, Bike Bug I think have Mitchlen Pro race2's at $35 each. Walk in and walk out, no mail order.

Have a nice day
training log
ImageImageImage
A helmet saved my life
mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby LuckyPierre » Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:53 pm

mikesbytes wrote: ... Mitchlen Pro race2's at $35 each ...

That's a damn fine price for damn fine tyres! But - oops, sorry, but there is one - my Pro2Race's have cut up pretty badly from broken glass. They are great to ride on - good 'roll', very stable - and are wearing well, it's just that they seem to cut easily. :?
LuckyPierre

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:04 pm

LuckyPierre wrote:
mikesbytes wrote: ... Mitchlen Pro race2's at $35 each ...

That's a damn fine price for damn fine tyres! But - oops, sorry, but there is one - my Pro2Race's have cut up pretty badly from broken glass. They are great to ride on - good 'roll', very stable - and are wearing well, it's just that they seem to cut easily. :?

Sogood discovered that one after we had put our order into PBK. And the shop is only 200mtr's from where I work. Never mind, I'll have to do extra k's to wear thru my backlog of tyres.

Have a nice day
training log
ImageImageImage
A helmet saved my life
mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby senator52 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:04 pm

Are the Rubino Pro's folding tyres? And what is the difference between a folding tyre and a rigid tyre? Is there a performance benefit from either? Also anyone ordered from Torpedo7 just wanna make sure its a safe site for credit card...thanks Will probably get the Rubino's tonight if everything is good :D
senator52

Postby 531db » Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:23 pm

Folding bead tyres are made from kevlar, this enables them to be slightly lighter than conventional wire bead tyres, but they invariably cost (often lots) more.

I prefer wire beads as they are easier to get on and off rims compared to kevlar. In my experience an easier kevlar bead tyre to get on a rim is one that will easily blow off under pressure (say at 120 psi) - not good!

Remember - 'Steel is real'.
531db

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:19 am

senator52 wrote:Are the Rubino Pro's folding tyres? And what is the difference between a folding tyre and a rigid tyre? Is there a performance benefit from either? Also anyone ordered from Torpedo7 just wanna make sure its a safe site for credit card...thanks Will probably get the Rubino's tonight if everything is good :D

There is a folding version and a rigid version. The difference is 20gms, so it just depends on whether you are a weight wenie or not.

I've ordered from Torpedo7 twice and had no problems what so ever.

Have a nice day
training log
ImageImageImage
A helmet saved my life
mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby LuckyPierre » Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:20 am

senator52 wrote:Are the Rubino Pro's folding tyres? And what is the difference between a folding tyre and a rigid tyre? Is there a performance benefit from either? Also anyone ordered from Torpedo7 just wanna make sure its a safe site for credit card...thanks Will probably get the Rubino's tonight if everything is good :D

The 'folding tyre' issue seems dealt with.
I've bought several things from Torpedo7 and haven't had any problems. Does that mean I should do the 'touch wood' thing?
LuckyPierre

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:48 am

Used Rubio Pro for years, nothing wrong with them.

Have a nice day
training log
ImageImageImage
A helmet saved my life
mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby senator52 » Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:26 am

Woohoo, ordered the Rubino Pro's :D stoked bout that ey! Tho i had a sudden thought after ordering...the Pro's would be 700c x 23 right??? Im stoked hey, thanks for the heads up LuckyPierre :!:
senator52

Postby senator52 » Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:22 am

Just got the tyres today! Can't wait to put em on and go for a spin :D just wish it wasnt raining so much...
senator52

Return to Buying a bike / parts