Advice on strong /light wheel for 95kg rider.

Rubicon

Advice on strong /light wheel for 95kg rider.

Postby Rubicon » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:23 pm

Hi all, I would appreciate some advice on a strong wheelset for a big guy at 96kg.

It will probably be the only wheelset I own for a while. Current Carbon/alloy wheels Im pretty disappointed with, lots of flex, lots of noises...Im simply at wits end.

Tonights Crit felt like I had every spoke broken, flat tyres..oh and the creaking and clicking from somewhere....pretty disappointed how the bike felt.

Am aiming towards a pair of fulcrum zeros or ones.

Mavics seem overpriced. I like a bit of bling too. So a boring pair of rims ( although suitable for the task at hand) will be tolerated. :D

I ve heard some not so good reviews of the DT Swiss 1480's? Not sure.

So any suggestions I sure would appreciate it. Prefer comments from similar size wight riders who have experienced a great rim.

All others appreciated too.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:51 pm

DuraAce are very stiff,have bigger axles than most and have no rider weight limit and best of all are back by a 3 year warranty (like all DuraAce parts).Or run a DuraAce front wheel...or any front for that matter...and a super strong rear.I have a flimsy Mavic SL and also a DuraAce front wheel,I have no problems with fronts but I do notice the flex in the Mavic and need to run the brakes a bit looser.The reason I run it is it was easier to set up tubeless.Rear I have Ultegra / DuraAce mixture hub with straight guage sapim spokes and CXP33 Mavic rim,super strong and stiff (32 spoke)..a bit heavy but power transfer is awesum and in Oz unless you are an elite open rider then you won't be riding any real hills so 200 grams will hardly brake the bank.I also run DuraAce rear (tubeless)...super stiff as well,aero and all round nice guy...but I do expect to brake it one day.

Rubicon

Postby Rubicon » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:58 pm

Thanks for that. Saw a set of Ultegra wheels for about $900. Looked strong.

Being 96kg I get some major flex out of the rear end. My current wheels, you can bend them with your hands all the way to teh brake pads. So now I open the rear pads and well its just ridiculous.

A lot of wheelsets are 18/20 spoke conformation. I woudl guess that isnt enough for a big guy. Many have recommended 32 spoke configurations.

I can get a wheelset built on ultegra hubs, decent spokes and rim for about $700.

Its doing my head as everyone says "yeah you will be right, theyre as strong as an ox!" yeah right.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:10 pm

I am over 100 and have no problem with fronts...OK WOULD BE NICE TO HAVE MATCHING FRONT AND REAR BUT PERSONALLY WITH THE AMOUNT (grr caps lock :lol: ) gear I go thru I don't care.Stay away from Mavic rears... I have been thru 4 or 5,they are not strong enough.Ultegra won't be backed by the same warranty...3 years is very handy...look at this thread to know why... viewtopic.php?t=3564&highlight=official .Maybee talk to TWE...a few people here are very happy with his wheels. http://www.twowheelsenterprises.com.au/

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:35 pm

toolonglegs wrote:..look at this thread to know why... viewtopic.php?t=3564&highlight=official .
:roll:

Any opportunity to link to that thread........

;-)
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:40 pm

Boognoss wrote:
toolonglegs wrote:..look at this thread to know why... viewtopic.php?t=3564&highlight=official .

;-)
it's me pride and joy :lol:

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:42 pm

toolonglegs wrote:
Boognoss wrote:

;-)
Did you keep the crank or did you manage to scam a warranty replacement (or just throw it away)?
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:47 pm

Boognoss wrote:
toolonglegs wrote:
Boognoss wrote: :roll:

;-)
Did you keep the crank or did you manage to scam a warranty replacement (or just throw it away)?
Got a shiny new one under warranty...hence the reason for posting the link.3 years warranty on DuraAce...a lot of frames don't even have that!.Also shows I am knowledgable on how strong things are :lol: or are not :roll:

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:49 pm

toolonglegs wrote:
Boognoss wrote:
toolonglegs wrote: it's me pride and joy :lol:
Got a shiny new one under warranty...hence the reason for posting the link.3 years warranty on DuraAce...a lot of frames don't even have that!.Also shows I am knowledgable on how strong things are :lol: or are not :roll:
I should have figured that out shouldn't I? :oops:

3 yrs is good.

Rubicon

Postby Rubicon » Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:05 am

HOLY SNAPPING DUCK SH*T Toolonglegs!

You da man when it comes to strong PARTS on a bike.

How do you snap a crank????? well ok, I'll trust what you say :D

Was looking at MAVICS ( notice the insomnia at this time of day) Cant sleep now..just keep thinking about these goddamn wheels Im stuck with.

Im tired of LBS's will tell you just to sell a rim so Im greatly appreciative of your recommendations.

Two Wheel Industries in Newcastle ahs also suggested their own made wheelsets using Ultegra hubs, spokes n stuff ( sounded flash) and the guy that races there was really helpful and it was he who actually insisted I get a strong wheelset ( he was about my size too) but swayed me from some of the better known brands out there, suggesting their going to be too weak for weight.

Rubicon

Postby Rubicon » Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:11 am

Hey, has anyone had any experience with Token wheels?

Good or bad?

gclark8

Postby gclark8 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:06 am

I am about 120kg and use a pair of locally made wheels with 36 hole Alex DR-13 double wall rims with Formula Hubs and 14g SS spokes, no problems..
Last edited by gclark8 on Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers,
George.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:15 am

Sell the Mavics on fleabay...they have a good resale value (although not sure what model you have).36 hole may be a bit of over kill for a racebike...like I say if your crits are pretty flat then weight is not a problem...but a nice aero wheel would be nice as long as it is stiff...there are a few brands that make stronger wheels of their popular series for us big guys...ZIPP 404 Clydesdale springs to mind...but I am not a big fan of the build quality of Zipp...maybee the new Zipp/Sram wheels are an improvement...they do look nice.
But the old rule always comesback....Don't race it if you can't afford to replace it!.

Parrott

Postby Parrott » Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:25 am

Can't help you with advice on what to get. However what I can say is do not get a whr 550 shimano. Only 20 spokes, when one breaks the wheel buckles badly. You'd probably break more than one and be left stranded.

Beanzy

Postby Beanzy » Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:54 pm

Being a "strong and powerful" rider (approx 112kgs now was 125+) i got a set of wheels that a great. They are dura ace fubs (front and rear) sourced from flea bay for about $300. Mavic open pro rims and DT 14/15 spokes. Built by Peter Bundy here in Sydney. Bullet proof. In about 8 months of road training, crits and road races they have not needed to be trued.

Awesome wheels.

I guess they may be a bit heavy but they do the job and a heaps better thean other wheels i have had in the past.
Beanzy

Hillbrick Pista
Trek 1500 (modified)
Giant Yukon
Garmin 305

Deanj

Postby Deanj » Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:46 pm

With what your after for your weight, personally I'd be speaking to a good wheel builder. Better getting something specific made up with spokes that you can get from any bike shop, rather than something like the Fulcrums which may make things be a bit difficult (time wasted waiting for spoked to be ordered etc.

If you try TWE like toolong mentioned, I'd go with ringing them direct. I didn't have much look with e mails my self, and ended up going elsewhere.

Parrott

Postby Parrott » Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:21 pm

Rubicon wrote:Hey, has anyone had any experience with Token wheels?

Good or bad?
I have some token t85 wheels. I have had no problems so far, still run true. They make holding a higher speed easier and have helped my tt times. They are noisy though and telegraph any attacks you make, they get alot noisier when you get out of the seat. The rear probably wouldn't be strong enoughfor you, it feels like the walls of the rim or something is flexing when you sprint. Just doesn't feel as stiff as my american classic 420 rear.

Rubicon

Postby Rubicon » Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:36 pm

Thanks guys. after another race and more noises, flexing etc etc I decided its time to lose the bling factor and get real.

Went and saw a wheel builder and Im ordering one of the options below. probably option 1 at this stage. Not sure if spending that much money is going to double my improvement as increase the price.

They showed me the build quality on about 6 different race bikes that were in there before this afternoons races.

1. Ultegra hubs, DT SWISS 1.2 or 2.4 rims (thinks its the larger rim), and 32 DT spokes approx $700.00

2. Same as above with top of the line DT SWISS hub approx. $1450.00

3. Same as above with Dura Ace approx. $1600.00

These prices were approx. cant quite remember the actual quotes. But DuraAce was going to add a fair bit to the price.

I was also offered teh Mavic pro rim and Velocity rims if I wanted.

The wheels they showed me looked strong and the salesperson was my size so that was comforting.

Not as blingy but after Fridays race, it sealed the decision.

So will be selling the tokens

:( Damn they just put in a new rear bearing to help me out:)

Rubicon

Postby Rubicon » Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:42 pm

Thanks Parrot,

I think Im just too heavy for the Tokens. They're a great wheel and I think it come down to a weight issue and probably 'poor technique' on my behalf.

Mmmmm not sure what the LBS meant by that but anyway. Im guessing a 'biggish' guy is going to flex a lot of wheels specially these 16 - 20 spoke rims you see that are quite lightweight probably suiting our 65 - 75kg counterparts.

Anyway, I aint putting Tokens down, they served me well for the last 7 months. the Crit racing probably highlighted they're probably not the right wheelset for the type of riding Im doing.

Damn not only did they get a new rear hub but they also gave me a new shiny Token wheelbag.