Stars wheelsets - anyone tried them?

maicoboy

Stars wheelsets - anyone tried them?

Postby maicoboy » Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:45 pm

Hi All,

Just picked up an old steel road bike to become my commuter and plan to give it a major upgrade first.

I've got most of the bits and pieces to convert it to 9 speed Shimano but will need a new rear wheel that can take a 9 speed cluster (obviously).

While searching eBay I noticed quite a few Stars 700c road wheelsets and was wondering if anyone had any feedback on them. My requirements are basically for a strong, preferably lightish wheelset for commuting/training.

I was looking at a pair of Aksiums and these Stars wheels may be a step down but they are very cheap and look ok in the photos so I thought I'd investigate further.

There seem to be a few different models but any feedback will be much appreciated.

Cheers, Tim

uncle arthur

Postby uncle arthur » Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:57 pm

They came as a replacement wheelset (to replace a dodgy set of Alex Rims) on my previous (CELL) bike. They did the job more than adequately. Heavy but perfect for commuting or training.
What is it with cycling? 30+ kmh and lycra???!!!

Fezz

Postby Fezz » Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:03 pm

If they are from a user called "cyclingdeal" I would avoid, I had a lot of problems with this guy.

Rubicon

Postby Rubicon » Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:56 pm

I heard they were 'very entry level'

Lark2004

Postby Lark2004 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:18 pm

Fezz wrote:If they are from a user called "cyclingdeal" I would avoid, I had a lot of problems with this guy.

I've bought quite few bits and pieces from this seller, and never had any problem at all.

What was the problem you encountered with them? Was it them in general, or product related?
Andrew

JustinD

Postby JustinD » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:40 pm

Do you mean these wheels

If so, I did pick up a pair and have used them for commuting. They are very basic and no where at the level of Aksiums. They are heavy and my back wheel went out of true after 200km (that said, many new wheels do). If you dont mind the weight and are prepared to re-grease the hubs after receiving them (mine were pretty dry) then they should fit the bill.
I haven't used mine much lately (oh, and they do flex a fair bit)
Like everything in cycling - you get what you pay for.
Justin
------------
Trek 5.2
Specialized Rockhopper '93 vintage & commuter
early 80s Gitane 531 road bike (work in progress to flat bar )

Lark2004

Postby Lark2004 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:50 pm

He possibly meant these

or These
Andrew

maicoboy

Postby maicoboy » Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:01 pm

Thanks Lark, those are the ones and the seller is indeed Mr cyclingdeal.

Justin, those look very similar, I wouldn't be surprised if they are the same just with different graphics.

Weight isn't a major concern because the frame I'm using could be used as a ship anchor!

It looks like he must import container loads of cycling gear and sell it all through eBay.

I'm thinking I might just get a pair of the slighty lighter ones like these and see how they go.

What was the issue with the seller?

Thanks, Tim

Rubicon

Postby Rubicon » Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:53 pm

I've bought quite a few things from the guy and NEVER had an issue.

It's safe enough ...ebay will sort things out anyway if there is an issue.
Shut up and just ride!

Rubicon

Postby Rubicon » Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:55 pm

maicoboy, I was looking at those too. I have been looking for a black wheelset with some bling type on them. I was told theyre entry level and teh price would suggest that.

Since started racing, well, I spent a bit more for a strong wheelset for myself.

If theyre just a commuter wheelset, I cant see why they would be an issue.

Wouldnt be surprised who that STARS company made rims for
:wink:
Shut up and just ride!

Lark2004

Postby Lark2004 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:01 pm

I admit I have looked at these with a bit more than a passing interest..... but I'm just not sure how a 24 spoke wheel is going to cope with any trail riding.
Andrew

esturyman

Postby esturyman » Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:58 pm

i picked up a pair from cell for $59 in october to replace wh500 on my wife flat bar no problems so far no promlems (750kms)and appear to be about the quality,although a bit heavy tham wh500. However no way near the quality of askiums

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:32 pm

I'd suggest being a bit more patient and gettign some "name" brand wheels secondhand off fleaBay.

I recently picked up some Mavic Open Pro rims with good quality mtb hubs for my commuter for less than 1/4 of what I'd have paid new.

Edit, actually, it would have been much less than that. They came complete with tyres, cassette and discs. 8)

DavidH

Postby DavidH » Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:48 pm

I bought two wheelsets last year. A set of Star wheels from Ebay (about $150 delivered) and a set of Aksiums from the UK (about $230 delivered). The Aksiums have been a great wheelset for the commuting bike.

The Star wheelset came with 4 spare spokes, which didn't inspire confidence. I put the wheelset on my oldest crappiest bike (which I use to commute in the wet) and they give a very ordinary ride (compared to the Aksiums). BUT...for the bike I put them on...perfect. I didn't expect much and wasn't disappointed. Being on the wet commuter bike I've had to grease the bearings several times, but they're still spinning well and do the job. Oh...and the decals started to peel off after a month or two so I removed them altogether.

wayno

Postby wayno » Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:31 pm

I bought the lightweight Stars wheels for $90. And they were the biggest waste of money, the flex in the front wheel was very noticeable... and the rear went out of true so easily it just wasn't worth it. Shimano R500 are better!!! Note this was over a year ago and I noticed they have new specs including carbon wheels but I would never get them.

The set I died a slow death rusting in the backyard.

maicoboy

Postby maicoboy » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:16 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys. I guess the old saying "you get what you pay for" applies here.

I'm doing about 500km per month commuting and my first priority for a wheelset is reliability (don't want to be getting them trued all the time) and secondly have reasonable performance.

Those Stars wheels look very 'entry level' but they're priced accordingly as well.

There's no major rush at the moment so I might just keep watching the 2nd hand market for the time being.

Thanks for your help,
Tim

simonn

Re: Stars wheelsets - anyone tried them?

Postby simonn » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:19 pm

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I am looking for a spare cheap wheelset for commuting when my proper wheels are OOA.

For the people who have been using them.... how are the Stars rollin' a few months later?

Zynster

Postby Zynster » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:04 pm

Check out Velocity's Twin Hollow. They get quite a good rap at Rivendell.
Fausto Coppi Reparto Corse | Giant Farrago Cross

cooperplace

Postby cooperplace » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:38 am

I bought a set of STARS wheels over a year ago from Cyclingdeal on Ebay. The vendor was fine, I was happy to give him + feedback on Ebay. They were cheap, and they seem to be performing fine. Still quite true, spin fine. The decals peeled off early. For the money they are fine. I do about 50km on this bike every weekend.
Please be nice to me, I'm not very bright.

clack3rz

Postby clack3rz » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:17 am

I got a set of Stars from the same seller on eBay.
No probs with the buyer, but you get what you pay for. Heavy wheel, and the front hub had to be rebuilt a couple of times, and weren't the best rollers.
I've now changed them over to a set of Fulcrums

Focusfire

Postby Focusfire » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:01 am

I don't suppose anyone has tried their carbon wheels? The price is stupidly cheap but it seems very possible that the quality is stupidly crap too...