Hey guys quick question

Shay

Hey guys quick question

Postby Shay » Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:29 am

Hey all,
I am looking at getting into riding a road bike and am new to it all.
I am looking at buying a second hand road bike and have found an Avanti Vivace, it's 13 months old and was wondering if this is a good starting bike? The guy is asking $1100 with peddles, shoes, helmet and a static trainer.

Just wondering if somebody can shed some light on this bike for me?

i mainly want this bike for fitness and a bit of weight loss.

Thanks guys! hit me back

Kev365428

Postby Kev365428 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:45 am

Moved this to the Buying a Bike/Parts section as it will get better responses.
Cheers,

Kev.

Shay

Postby Shay » Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:48 am

Thanks kev!

If this bike is no good? can somebody recommend a good bike for around the $1000 mark?

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:53 am

The 2009 model Vivace is $1999 RRP so the 08 model that you're looking at probably sold for $1500-1600 new at a guess. Can't remember the Vivace price from when I was roadie shopping and settled on my Corsa. If it's in good condition and fits you it sounds like a good deal for $1100 with all those extras thrown in.

Everything in cycling is a case of you get what you pay for but I was happy with my $550 bike before I upgraded. I'm sure the Vivace will be a good bike but you will want to test ride it first of course. If it doesn't feel right you don't want to be stuck with a bike you don't want to ride.
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

Shay

Postby Shay » Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:55 am

ah ok, no worries. just wanted to guage what type of bike it is. If i go have a look at it, it's abot a 2 hr drive to see it. just wanted to see if worth my while!

Thanks a lot for the input

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:08 am

Hey Shay,

Have you had a look at the Avanti website? They still have the 2008 models with specs, etc if that's useful.

Here

Personally I don't think you could go wrong with an Avanti but I'm a bit of a fan ;-).
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:30 am

Shay,

It's most important that the bike fits you correctly. This will be hard for you to assess since you're new to cycling. If you can, take a friend who is experienced in cycling when you look at the bike.

Good luck,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

Shay

Postby Shay » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:35 am

Kalgrm wrote: It's most important that the bike fits you correctly. This will be hard for you to assess since you're new to cycling. If you can, take a friend who is experienced in cycling when you look at the bike.
ahh.. i measured my inseam and it is around the 52 i think.. and this bike is 51cm *so the guy thinks* i am guessing it would be ok?

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:44 am

Shay wrote:
Kalgrm wrote: It's most important that the bike fits you correctly. This will be hard for you to assess since you're new to cycling. If you can, take a friend who is experienced in cycling when you look at the bike.
ahh.. i measured my inseam and it is around the 52 i think.. and this bike is 51cm *so the guy thinks* i am guessing it would be ok?
No!

That's not the way it works. With a 52cm inseam you'd be a good bit shorter than me, I think. The inseam measure should correlate to the bike's 'stand-over' clearance. You should have at least 4-5cm clear, and with compact frames most are 10-15cm clear. But that 51cm is the seat tube length, from bottom bracket centre (the crank axle) to the seat tube top (or the centre of top tube in some cases). This will be a lot less than the stand-over height.

If your inseam really is 52cm then a 51cm frame will be too big for you.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:49 am

As a rough guide, find out how tall the present owner is. It's only a guide though: he may be selling it becasue it's the wrong size. Even if he is the same height as you, it still may be the wrong bike for you since we are all built differently.

Please read the sticky thread in the Buying a Bike section of the forum before committing to this bike.

Cheers,
Graeme
---------------------

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:03 am

A 52cm inseam would put you at a bit over a metre tall - 3'6"-ish in the old scale. I think you'd be looking for a custom frame, in that case. :D

As has been pointed out, how well the frame fits you is by far the most crucial aspect of this deal. Asking the guy his height is a good starting point, but only very approximate. Budget a hundred or two for seatpost, stem and bar changeover to fully customise the fit to your body. Doesn't have to be done straight away, but must be sorted before you start doing significant mileage. Providing the bike has been looked after, it sounds like a reasonable deal even after you add this customisation expenditure.

BTW, traiiners are quite useful, as I've recently discovered.

Shay

Postby Shay » Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:11 am

thanks for the tips guys!

this guy is 5'9 and i'm round 5'11 so it shouldn't be too big..

maybe i will go down to my local bike store and ask them to measure me up? to get best idea?

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:43 am

Ah!! If you're 5" 11" that makes you about the same height as me. I ride a 58cm road bike (old style larger frame). 51mc sounds very small now, even for a compact frame.

Yes, a good time-saver would be to go to the LBS and stand over a few bikes, maybe get them to measure you up for correct frame size. Also check out the reach forward to the handlebars. You don't want a bike that stretches you too far, nor one that is too tight and cramped (a common new rider's problem, getting a bike that sits you up too much - most don't realise the benefits to climbing and power of stretching forward a bit)
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:53 am

this guy is 5'9 and i'm round 5'11 so it shouldn't be too big.
... but it could be too small.

Okay, you're in danger territory here. You and he - given you both had exactly the same proportions - would be fitted to bikes of different frame size in a perfect world (where all LBS salesmen know their stuff).

It's the torso and arm length which determines the frame size for most people. How far you reach for the bars is a good guide to correct fit, with seat height being easier to adjust than top tube length. If he has a long torso and you have a short torso, then this bike should fit you if it fits him*. If, however, he has a short torso and yours is long, this bike will be way off the mark for you.

Going into a bike shop for a fitting and then buying elsewhere is not good form. You're using their time and experience but not rewarding them for it. I recommend you don't do that for ethical reasons, which is why I suggested earlier to take someone knowledgeable with you.

Your "quick question" could see you quickly depleting your bank balance on a bike that's not right for you. In that sticky I referred to earlier, we suggest you buy your first bike from a bike shop, since they should know what they are doing and give you a proper fit. When you're new to riding, you need that advice.

Cheers,
Graeme

* Assuming he was sold the right size bike for him by a knowledgeable bike shop. Not always a good assumption.
---------------------

Dave R32

Postby Dave R32 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:16 pm

Shay wrote:thanks for the tips guys!

this guy is 5'9 and i'm round 5'11 so it shouldn't be too big..

maybe i will go down to my local bike store and ask them to measure me up? to get best idea?
I am 5'11 and I ride an 08 Vivace which is the 54.5cm or what Avanti call a Large, the 51cm version is a small frame and will probably be way too small for you.

Cheers
Dave.
Avanti Vivace = Sold | Trek Madone = Cracked | '12 Caad10 = Sold | Pinarello SDG3K | '14 Caad10 & Bianchi Pista

JV911

Postby JV911 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:23 pm

Dave R32 wrote:I am 5'11 and I ride an 08 Vivace which is the 54.5cm or what Avanti call a Large, the 51cm version is a small frame and will probably be way too small for you.
i'm 175cm and rode a 53.5cm (medium) vivace

great bike :)
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

Shay

Postby Shay » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:50 pm

ahh bugger... frame is way too small for me... checked it out.

looks like i will keep my eye out for another good second hand deal to come up. can't afford a brand new one being a student.. nothing over $1000, another deal will pop up.

Thanks for your help guys

CoffsGal

Postby CoffsGal » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:07 pm

Hi Shay,

Have you seen this one in the Market Place section?

viewtopic.php?t=13159

There is also this one...

viewtopic.php?t=12086

Emma