another newbie

bushrunner

another newbie

Postby bushrunner » Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:44 pm

Hi guys,

first off I must say thanks to Greame and Christopher for sorting out a registration stuff up,

ok a newbie to the forum and a virgin to this new bike technology (so please be gentle with me).

I am on a $250 Standish special at the moment maybe 18 months, but as I was warned I have the need to upgrade and as I said I have no idea about the makes and models the only name I recognize is "Rayleigh" form about 50 years a go.

The makes available locally (SA) are Avanti,Giant,Kona,Rayleigh, and Norco with out going for miles, the Kona DEW or Dew Plus is the range and style I am leaning towards, a MTB/COMUTE cross breed.

So any light you guys can shine on what to look for or what not to look at will be invaluable.

I know this question must have been asked a thousand time but the choices seem to be endless, not to mention the mechanics of them all. I have always found to get the right answers you have to ask the right people (not just brown noesing).

With thanks

Alan

stubbie

Re: another newbie

Postby stubbie » Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:07 pm

bushrunner wrote:

ok a newbie to the forum and a virgin to this new bike technology (so please be gentle with me).
Just lie back and try not to think of carbon.

But if you remember the name Raleigh from about 50 years ago you're probably around my age, and if you're thinking along the lines of MTB/commute your probably after a similar experience to me, in which case I'd say check out the Giants because that is what I'm riding at the moment.

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-AU/bikes/

Good luck and welcome to the forum Alan.
Gravity will never let you down.

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:28 pm

stubbie wrote:
bushrunner wrote:

Just lie back and try not to think of carbon.
You'll probably also remember the name Malvern Star - who re-entered the market last year.

They had an excellent entry level carbon bike - the B'Ol Dor - with Shimano 105 kit for around $2K. Unfortunately all sold out.

So bushrunner is probably right - best to try not to think of carbon unless your desperate to spend the kids inheritance :roll:

Welcome to the forum, Alan, and hope you find what you're looking for.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:36 pm

Hi Alan,

Welcome to the forum.

You'll see I've move your thread over to the "Buying a Bike/Parts" section of the forum, since that is where this question "has been asked a thousand times before". ;)

You'll also note in that section, there is a sticky thread for people in your situation. It will help you answer the question for yourself, which is really what you need help with. We can't buy the right bike for you - it's something you need to work out for yourself.

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

hartleymartin

Postby hartleymartin » Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:05 pm

Get an old Raleigh if it's what you are familiar with. Many of them are still doing what they were made to do 30 or 40 years after they were first made. I ran into a couple who were riding 1967 and 1977 vintage Raleighs in un-restored condition.
Martin Christopher Hartley

http://raleightwenty.webs.com - the top web resource for the Raleigh Twenty

Lukemac

Postby Lukemac » Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:18 pm

Hi

Lets start with you budget?
How much you want to spend has a big impact to what you can ride.
What type of riding you want to do?

Try and give as much detail as possible will help

Luke

bushrunner

Postby bushrunner » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:16 pm

All good stuff, thanks,
The bike I have now cost about$ 300. maybe 3years ago (and just about shoot to hell).
I try to do an hour a day 5 days a week 20ks. or so per.fittness is getting better but still along way to go.
So I am looking for somthing that will last not to heavy and the boss said I can go up to a grand.

I need to know the must have bells and the not so needed whistles

thanks all
Alan

great forum

fooch

Postby fooch » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:56 pm

hi Bushrunner, there's no looking back now! Welcome to the wonderful world of Talking about buying bikes!

With your budget of $1000, I reckon you need to look at good value bike brands, like Giant that stubbie recommended. They're good bikes, but because they are a huge bike manufacturer, they can get the bits cheaper.

The other way of getting good value bikes is to look for last year's model in bike shops, which are usually heavily discounted.

I reckon it's quite important to firstly get a bike that fits you, no point spending the money on something that is going to be uncomfortable!

And I reckon that $1000 will get you a decent bike if you look carefully! Feel free to ask if you need any clarification on bikes and bits - I've noticed some of us here have quite a bit of knowledge about all sorts of things!
Piled Higher & Deeper

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:21 pm

G'Day Alan

OK, you've worked out a budget and a sorta type (hybrid/flatbar road)

Time to consider what type of riding you'll be doing most of, if the MTBish component is mainly unpaved tracks without getting too rough, lean towards a flatbar, if there's some rough, you'll prolly appreciate a suspension fork, so a 700c hybrid is the go. A full on MTB can go anywhere, but the commute will be slower, even if you fit slick tyres for the roadwork.

Once you've sorted that, it's time for the fun bit, hit a few LBSs and have a yarn and request test rides, see if you can manage to find an area that will match your planned riding too. One of the bikes will stand out in your mind, mainly on the size of the grin it brings on, once you've got that far, leave it for a week than repeat, if bike X is the one, you'll know :)

BTW, in your initial talks with the LBS blokes, quote a budget of ~$800 so you've got some haggling room, nothing like getting a 1000 bike for 900. The LBS will think they've got the better of the deal, you'll know you have.

Have fun with it.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:30 am

bushrunner wrote:All good stuff, thanks,
The bike I have now cost about$ 300. maybe 3years ago (and just about shoot to hell).
I try to do an hour a day 5 days a week 20ks. or so per.fittness is getting better but still along way to go.
So I am looking for somthing that will last not to heavy and the boss said I can go up to a grand.

I need to know the must have bells and the not so needed whistles

thanks all
Alan

great forum
For $1000 its worth thinking second hand too. That should get you at least Tiagra/Mirage level goodies and an alloy frame (if thats what you want). For new at that level you're looking at a few substituted parts like bottom brackets, stems, seat posts and hubs that will be clapped out after two years of 100km/week riding.

Jim

hartleymartin

Postby hartleymartin » Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:01 am

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-AU/bik ... 198/31894/

For a comfortable ride, why not consider this beauty for just under $700?
Martin Christopher Hartley

http://raleightwenty.webs.com - the top web resource for the Raleigh Twenty

thepeddler

Postby thepeddler » Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:20 pm

http://www.apollobikes.com/apolloproduc ... tle/Exceed

You could look at one of these. Under $1000

bushrunner

Postby bushrunner » Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:58 pm

Hi guys and thanks for the info,it all helps. I have been out of it for a few days but I will start doing the rounds this weekend.

I shall let you know how I get on.

Alan

bushrunner

Postby bushrunner » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:00 pm

ps the Apollo looks nice

Alan