The sheer joy of riding

Questions about purchasing bicycles and parts

The sheer joy of riding

Postby bigbuzz73 » Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:47 pm

Hi Guys,
Just thought I'd tell you all about a ride I had recently.
As most of you are aware I recently purchased 'Bella' (my new Bianchi road bike) to keep 'Chuck Norris' (my Spesh MTB) company. I've neglected Chuck a bit lately so I decided to ride him to work last Tuesday (the truth is, it was raining and didn't want to get Bella wet!! Damn, I'm such a sissy!! :lol: )
Sandra said I was going to have a miserable trip to work as she got into the car to drive to work...... and I thought "You just don't get it, do you"? I put on my rain jacket, put the rain cover over my back pack and off I went. Instead of "being miserable", I whistled all the way to work, enjoyed the rain and riding Chuck, was passed by heaps of roadies, and thoroughly enjoyed the ride. It was my slowest trip for ages but my most enjoyable! Got to work with a grin from ear-to-ear!
My point? We tend to lose sight sometimes of the SHEER JOY of sitting our middle-aged butts on a bike and just enjoying the ride. I'm as guilty as the next person... got caught up in the carbon fibre this-and-that business, but last Tuesday brought me back to what it's all about, and that is, as I said before, the sheer pleasure of pedalling a bike.
So I suggest just walk out to the shed, look at your bike, whether it be a $10000 carbon fibre Colnago or a $200 Huffy and say g'day to it! It's YOUR bike and think of all the pleasure it gives you!
Sorry for sounding like a Hippie, but give what I said a bit of thought :wink:
bigbuzz73

by BNA » Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:51 pm

BNA

Postby europa » Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:51 pm

Why should I walk out to the shed? My bikes live in the dining room :D (of course, I AM single :wink: )

Richard
not a hippy, just mad
europa

Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby heavymetal » Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:57 pm

My bike (tourer) is parked 6 feet away from my bed :D

And I am married :shock:

Kev.
heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby pugsly » Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:35 pm

My bike (MTB) is parked under my bed - about 10 feet under (the garage is under the master bedroom) :lol:

I'm looking forward to my next ride - working my schedule so I have time for sleeping, working and riding is the constant challenge.
pugsly

Postby LuckyPierre » Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:41 pm

Tojo and the girlie bike said "Hello" right back! They both got a ride today (as the saying goes).
My new toy is still 'in the womb' and can't talk yet, but I'm sure that it will soon be able to.
LuckyPierre

Postby sogood » Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:15 pm

Well said, be happy and enjoy riding! :D
Bianchi, Ridley, Montague, GT, Garmin and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.
sogood

Postby giant1 » Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:38 pm

europa wrote:Why should I walk out to the shed? My bikes live in the dining room :D (of course, I AM single :wink: )

Richard
not a hippy, just mad

My 3 bikes live in the lounge room all set up in their own special corner. I think of them as my "other children".
I am married with kids!!! My wife has given up on me and just tolerates it all now :lol:
giant1

Postby tuco » Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:21 pm

giant1 wrote:
europa wrote:Why should I walk out to the shed? My bikes live in the dining room :D (of course, I AM single :wink: )

Richard
not a hippy, just mad

My 3 bikes live in the lounge room all set up in their own special corner. I think of them as my "other children".
I am married with kids!!! My wife has given up on me and just tolerates it all now :lol:

What happens when you get a 5th bike?
They'll have to start sharing a corner, unless you have an 'L' shaped lounge.

Our bikes stay down stairs in 'the room where nobody sleeps' as my kids called it when they were young.
tuco

Postby giant1 » Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:28 pm

tuco wrote:
giant1 wrote:

Richard
not a hippy, just mad

What happens when you get a 5th bike?
They'll have to start sharing a corner, unless you have an 'L' shaped lounge.

Our bikes stay down stairs in 'the room where nobody sleeps' as my kids called it when they were young.

I'll be divorced and probably murdered if I get more bikes...so for now I don't need more corners
giant1

Re: The sheer joy of riding

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:51 pm

bigbuzz73 wrote:Hi Guys,
Just thought I'd tell you all about a ride I had recently.
You've read this bit already

Poetry! Sheer poetry!

Thanks Buzz.

Shaun
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby pospete » Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:18 pm

Yes there's nothing like a nice ride.

Going on the bike is nice too.
Talk to the hand
pospete

Re: The sheer joy of riding

Postby pospete » Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:33 pm

bigbuzz73 wrote:.
So I suggest just walk out to the shed, look at your bike, whether it be a $10000 carbon fibre Colnago or a $200 Huffy and say g'day to it! It's YOUR bike and think of all the pleasure it gives you!

For your own safety please stay away from posting such comments on the Bike Victoria Forum! I think that statement would give them heart failure!!!
Talk to the hand
pospete

Postby beauyboy » Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:41 am

Mine sit in the units lounge room. My other half has become a rec rider and thinks it is something he can do with me.

Donald
BCC give us some more bikeways fore safe travel!!!!
Upgrade the NCL now QR!!!!!!
http://nakedcyclistbrissy.blogspot.com/
My views do not represent any organisation I may be apart of unless otherwise stated
beauyboy

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:46 am

Welcome back Pete, howyergoin' mate?

Do I really have to go back to BV??? :roll:

Shaun
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby wombatoutofhell » Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:41 pm

I can relate to this thread-i had a brief ride tonight that made me rethink what i wanted from a bike.
For some time now i've been riding an elcheapo MTB to and from work-not very quick and quite painful on the rear, but fairly relaxing and i enjoy doing it about once a week. I have been looking for a new bike to replace it with a view to doing more riding in future, but have been unsure of what to get. Moneys a little tight so i slipped over to my brothers and grabbed one of the bikes out of the huge pile of old bikes in his yard. The bike is an old Malvern Star SL Sport, forks are bent, as is the head stem but it's complete and I grabbed the bits i need to replace as well. Tonight i thought i'd try her out-just put some air in the tires, made sure the brakes worked and rode carefully around the block. All was fine so went around again faster-My god I'd forgotten how much fun a road bike is at speed! Even with the bent components she flew-compared to the MTB anyway. I ended up doing about 10 laps before stopping-i'll go longer once i fix a few things. but now i remember what i used to enjoy about riding. And this on an old steel framed bike, with steel wheels and about 25 (at a guess) years old. Magic!
wombatoutofhell

Postby Halfanewb » Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:24 pm

wombatoutofhell wrote:My god I'd forgotten how much fun a road bike is at speed! ... Magic!

Addictive isnt it :)
Halfanewb

Return to Buying a bike / parts