8 speed
28%
9 speed
24%
10 speed
36%
3 does my head in
4%
I'd rather push my fixie up a hill than bother with gears(please explain your answer you maniac).
8%

Total votes: 25
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:49 pm

europa wrote:The problem with road bikes isn't that the design has been perfected, it hasn't by a long chalk, but the UCI sets the racing rules and they've decreed that the bike shall have a diamond frame, drop handle bars and same sized wheels front and rear. Get rid of those contraints and we'd really see some interesting bikes but they won't because you then run the risk of the bike becomming a greater part of the equation than it is now (which is 9% rider, 1% bike and 90% doctor - is my cynicism showing?).

Richard
Well, I would have said 85% doctor.

Seriously then Richard, ignoring UCI rules. What would the designers give us as the ultimate roadie? I know they could be lighter than UCI regs right away, how else would they change? Oh yeah... saw on the track last Games a bike with the fork hinged? to the frame rather than through a headset, or was it the grog? What's the go with that?

Shaun

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:40 pm

Dunno about that, but one of the first things would be a shift to recumbents. Varying wheel sizes in a similar frame to the diamond. Weird composite frames have been built before today, just not used in competition.

Richard

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:09 am

Mulger bill wrote:
europa wrote:The problem with road bikes isn't that the design has been perfected, it hasn't by a long chalk, but the UCI sets the racing rules and they've decreed that the bike shall have a diamond frame, drop handle bars and same sized wheels front and rear. Get rid of those contraints and we'd really see some interesting bikes but they won't because you then run the risk of the bike becomming a greater part of the equation than it is now (which is 9% rider, 1% bike and 90% doctor - is my cynicism showing?).

Richard
Well, I would have said 85% doctor.

Seriously then Richard, ignoring UCI rules. What would the designers give us as the ultimate roadie? I know they could be lighter than UCI regs right away, how else would they change? Oh yeah... saw on the track last Games a bike with the fork hinged? to the frame rather than through a headset, or was it the grog? What's the go with that?

Shaun
This is an innovation seen on some road motorbikes and is called centre hub steering. My minimal understanding is that it provides the ability to have better steering input and eliminate geometry chnages during travel making steering much more accurate and consistent.

Cheers

Michael B

Hotdog

Postby Hotdog » Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:39 am

I voted 8 speed but I don't mean an 8 speed rear cluster, I've got an 8-speed geared hub (Shimano Nexus Inter-8 Premium). Just the one chainring so it's only 8 available gear ratios in total. There's a decent total range of 310% but as a result some of the intervals between gears are a bit large. It's a great, durable and essentially zero maintenance system for a commuter (which is what I use it for most of the time) and under those circumstances when your riding is either very stop-go or at your own pace the steps between gears aren't really an issue. When I'm out riding with a group on the weekends I notice it though, especially if we end up doing 25kph as that's when I curse the especially large gap between my 5th and 6th gears. I should just take that as my cue to move to the front and pull the group along a little faster of course... 8)

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:41 am

Mulger bill wrote:Seriously then Richard, ignoring UCI rules. What would the designers give us as the ultimate roadie?
Low riding recumbent with fairings. Would smoke everything else in time trials, and wouldn't be poking you in the nads to boot.

Hotdog

Postby Hotdog » Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:08 am

Bnej wrote:
Mulger bill wrote:Seriously then Richard, ignoring UCI rules. What would the designers give us as the ultimate roadie?
Low riding recumbent with fairings. Would smoke everything else in time trials, and wouldn't be poking you in the nads to boot.
On the flat, yes, but too heavy for hills. Lighter un-faired recumbents, high racers particularly, climb much better while still being significantly more aerodynamic than UCI bicycles.

531db

Postby 531db » Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:57 pm

The G.O is...........

Less Gears...
More Beers...

Cheers!

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Sat Mar 31, 2007 5:47 pm

First
Last edited by MountGower on Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

europa

Postby europa » Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:07 pm

MountGower wrote:Secondly to the person who'd rather push his fixie up a hill than have gears, you owe the forum an explanation and I can't wait to hear it.
What? I can't believe you asked that. How can any rational animal NOT want a fixie in their life? :shock:

Richard
I'm shocked :shock: Nay, flabergasted :shock:
(and no, I didn't actually vote so there :P )

tallywhacker

Postby tallywhacker » Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:40 pm

europa wrote:
MountGower wrote:Secondly to the person who'd rather push his fixie up a hill than have gears, you owe the forum an explanation and I can't wait to hear it.
What? I can't believe you asked that. How can any rational animal NOT want a fixie in their life?
correction, how can any rational animal want anything other than a fixie in their life

europa

Postby europa » Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:00 pm

There's ANOTHER ONE :D

Christopher, we need a Fixie Forum - three confirmed idiots and others showing interest :D

Richard

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:43 pm

europa wrote:There's ANOTHER ONE :D

Christopher, we need a Fixie Forum - three confirmed idiots and others showing interest :D

Richard
Come on, there's nothing to them and therefor nothing to discuss :lol:

Burn plenty of Glycogen
Frame Size Calculator.....Park Tools Repair Guides
ImageImageImage
training log
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:14 pm

europa wrote: I'm shocked :shock: Nay, flabergasted :shock:
(and no, I didn't actually vote so there :P )
So how does one go about gasting flabers? :P

Nothing to discuss???

Why there's a wole world of coloured ano lockrings for fixie cogs out there that just won't go away :twisted:

Nothing to discuss???

How about the latest braking techniques for fixies..
Is falling off smoother than jumping off?

Sorry, been a bit quiet at work

tallywhacker

Postby tallywhacker » Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:10 pm

ha, ha, you are a bunch of jolly jokers.

Christopher, we need a Fixie Forum - three confirmed idiots and others showing interest
that what my wife said when I started riding fixed years ago. Keep in mind we are the only ones who actually pedal what we ride (and know how to pedal correctly)

uMP2k

Postby uMP2k » Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:41 pm

Richard
I must admit I have been wondering if there might be a future as a fixie for my "old yellow" if the frame damage proves to be repairable....

tallywhacker

Postby tallywhacker » Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:41 pm

once you go fixed that's it, you won't want to ride anything else. I gave my old road bike (Giant CFR 3) to my son and just ride my fixed road bike daily and once a week my track bike

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby heavymetal » Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:24 pm

europa wrote:Christopher, we need a Fixie Forum - three confirmed idiots and others showing interest
Yes, fixed wheel. I've made one. Being fixed rear wheel, I welded the wheel to the frame. Problem is how do you ride it when the rear wheel doesn't turn? :shock:

europa

Postby europa » Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:55 pm

heavymetal wrote:Yes, fixed wheel. I've made one. Being fixed rear wheel, I welded the wheel to the frame. Problem is how do you ride it when the rear wheel doesn't turn? :shock:
Yeah, but it doesn't roll backwards when you stop on a hill either. And it won't get stolen. What are you complaining about? Sheesh, you blokes want everything made easy for you.

Richard