Selle Italia SLR Lady

CoffsGal

Selle Italia SLR Lady

Postby CoffsGal » Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:22 pm

My bike came with a Specialized Toupe...saddle

I found it only moderately comfortable and on longer rides I was aware of some discomfort. I persevered for six months and 3700km, but a couple of weeks ago ordered a Selle Italia SLR Lady.

I have only done about 150km on the new saddle, but so far it has been a very noticeable change, the saddle is really comfy.

The Toupe looked cool but had next to no padding. The extra (gel) padding of the Lady seems to work great. The Lady is meant to be wider but visually looks about the same as the Toupe. The lady does though have a different profile, and at the widest parts, it doesn't drop off as suddenly, giving more support at the outer edges of the sit bones.

I have seen a few members here recommend the Selle Italia Lady, and I can agree that the model I have at least is working for me.

Emma

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:30 pm

Saddle is very personal. Yet again, a lot of people are riding on SLR series models, so they must be doing something right for a lot of people. The two SLR XPs on my two bikes are working well for me too.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

drubie

Postby drubie » Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:45 pm

I have trouble with saddles with padding in them - I find them really uncomfortable even after a short ride and tend to get hot spots and all sorts of unattractive lumps with them.

Selle do make the best saddles though, I have a Selle Turbo Lite on my old steel bike which is fantastic (and suitably retro) and a Selle (mumble) Orbea branded saddle on my Orbea which fits like a glove. Neither are padded, both are comfy.

I'd reckon taking advice from blokes about saddles would be difficult though considering the differences in pelvis dimensions on average. It's interesting that you found a gel saddle better - is it really squishy (like sink your fingers in) or just a thin layer like a gel glove?

CoffsGal

Postby CoffsGal » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:02 pm

drubie wrote:It's interesting that you found a gel saddle better - is it really squishy (like sink your fingers in) or just a thin layer like a gel glove?
Squishyness (is that a technical term?)...The Toupe (also gel) can be depressed about 4 or 5mm in the ischium (sit bones) area, while the SLR Lady about 8mm, so still not a lot of squish. The different profile of the Lady plays a large part in the comfort stakes.

I didn't want a soft spongy saddle and the SLR lady seems to be about right.

Emma

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:42 pm

CoffsGal wrote:Squishyness (is that a technical term?)...The Toupe (also gel) can be depressed about 4 or 5mm in the ischium (sit bones) area, while the SLR Lady about 8mm, so still not a lot of squish. The different profile of the Lady plays a large part in the comfort stakes.
8mm compression? Didn't think a saddle can compress that far. Will take a look of my SLR XP.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

CoffsGal

Postby CoffsGal » Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:57 am

sogood wrote:
CoffsGal wrote:Squishyness (is that a technical term?)...The Toupe (also gel) can be depressed about 4 or 5mm in the ischium (sit bones) area, while the SLR Lady about 8mm, so still not a lot of squish. The different profile of the Lady plays a large part in the comfort stakes.
8mm compression? Didn't think a saddle can compress that far. Will take a look of my SLR XP.
When testting for squishyness, I was pushing hard with one finger at the most padded arear near where the sit bones would be. I didn't measure it with a squishyometer but I estimate it depressed between 6 and 8mm.

Emma