Pedals, damned pedals.

MJF

Pedals, damned pedals.

Postby MJF » Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:42 pm

I want to stick with SPD pedals, but....

First I had the M324's. Bearings came loose in about a month, but I'd lost the receipt. Ordered the tool set for adjusting the bearings, then went out and bought some M520's.

After ~ 1500km of riding, the pedals started to make a clicking noise. The bearings are loose, but I have the receipt this time. The LBS that sold them is going to service them and adjust the bearings rather than do a warranty job... probably because the warranty excludes wear/tear due to usage.

So - do I keep alternating between the two sets I have until they die, or is there a much improved model which will actually last? (eg. M970 XTR version).

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Pedals, damned pedals.

Postby heavymetal » Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:12 pm

MJF wrote:First I had the M324's. Bearings came loose in about a month, but I'd lost the receipt. Ordered the tool set for adjusting the bearings, then went out and bought some M520's.
Mine did exactly the same thing. I adjusted and serviced them myself. However a couple of weeks ago the clicking noise came back but slightly different. It was a cracked crank. Got it replaced under warranty.

I check the bearing adjustment regularly myself and don't have any more problems.

sogood

Postby sogood » Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:01 am

After my experience with a set of M540 SPD pedals, I don't think I'll touch them again. One pedal began to rock after 2 months of road riding. Two warranty repairs through Shimano later, the pedal remains either stiff or rocks when loosened a bit. Not impressed.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

MJF

Postby MJF » Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:19 am

So Shimano doesn't replace under warranty? They will only repair/adjust?

Hmmm....

LuckyPierre

Postby LuckyPierre » Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:24 am

I see a fair number of mtb pedals on bikes at club events (rather than the M520's), but most riders do seem to use SPD-SL or Look compatible pedals.
You could certainly try a higher spec. SPD pedal, but kill the other ones first!

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:41 am

The quality of Shimano pedals seems to have taken a nose dive. I've seen repeated comments about short lives for SPD pedals and experienced once my self. SPD's use to last 5 years +, not any more.

Burn plenty of Glycogen
Frame Size Calculator
ImageImageImage
training log
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

sogood

Postby sogood » Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:55 am

MJF wrote:So Shimano doesn't replace under warranty? They will only repair/adjust?
Well, I was hoping. But I didn't get a new pedal and the LBS took a bit of a hands off approach and let the decision rest with Shimano. And I understand that M540 is a mid-range pedal sitting just below XTR group and have expected something much better than a pathetic 2 months of road riding.

I bite the bullet and switched over to CB Quattro and kept my MTB shoes. I'll move that M540 to my old MTB and use it as a local run around if I get the energy.

MJF

Postby MJF » Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:46 am

sogood wrote: And I understand that M540 is a mid-range pedal sitting just below XTR group and have expected something much better than a pathetic 2 months of road riding.
I can't work out the differences between the models. There are some obvious differences in the higher-end stuff, but I can't pick between M520/M540. The XTR appears to be better built... but without seeing the bearing assembly, who can tell?

How have the CB Quattro lasted?

sogood

Postby sogood » Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:08 am

MJF wrote:I can't work out the differences between the models. There are some obvious differences in the higher-end stuff, but I can't pick between M520/M540. The XTR appears to be better built... but without seeing the bearing assembly, who can tell?

How have the CB Quattro lasted?
Well, all I know is that XTR is their top of the line racing model. AFAIK, it's a 3 tiered line with M520 at the bottom and XTR at the top. As for the M540, it's supposed to be their racing capable model but using heavier material (Cr-Mo steel etc).

Unfortunately I don't have a durability answer for you on the CB Quattro as I've only used it for a few weeks. Around 700k I suppose. I have noticed that it leaked grease around the axle but according to users, that's a normal behaviour. Other than that, I've been happy so far. Clipping in and out has definitely been easier and smoother than SPD. The other reassuring thing is that bearing rebuilt kits can be bought through LBSs.

MJF

Postby MJF » Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:50 pm

Hmmm.... Eggbeaters look interesting. Large bearings, and my shoes will take the CB cleats. Maybe Christmas - I'll see how many time the SPD's get adjusted this year.

sogood

Postby sogood » Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:54 pm

They also have a cleat system for use with road shoes that only take 3 point attachment system. It's specifically made for Quattro users.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:37 pm

I purchased the M520 pedals when I got me new bike, so I will be keeping an eye out for any issues as described here (first experience with clipless pedals) . I have had no problems thus far, but then again, I'm only 2 weeks and 240km into their new life.

Given that the Shimano pedals seem to be problematic, are there pedal systems that allow the user to actually walk in the shoes at a somewhat comfortable gait ?

Interesting

Cheers

Michael B

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:51 pm

1,200 km on M324s without a hint of trouble

Richard

MJF

Postby MJF » Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:13 pm

europa wrote:1,200 km on M324s without a hint of trouble

Richard
Show off - there's always one person with 'mine works fine'. I'm wondering if the issues relates to *where* the items are assembled - I notice mine were made a little close to home as it were. My 520's have been greased & adjusted, so we will see how long they stay that way (pick up on Wednesday). The M324's behaved themselves today... but I'm so used to being able to clip in without flipping the pedal that they were just damned annoying.

Nice to have a quiet bike again, it really screwed up my concentration with the clicking noise.

europa

Postby europa » Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:55 pm

:D Just fitted brand new M505s (cheap off ebay) to the Europa and they haven't missed a beat ... mind you, I haven't ridden with them anyway but sitting there next to the bike spinning them with your finger counts doesn't it?

Richard

europa

Postby europa » Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:58 pm

MJF wrote:The M324's behaved themselves today... but I'm so used to being able to clip in without flipping the pedal that they were just damned annoying.
You don't have to flip M324's. You'll find that when the pedal returns to the position you clipped out, it'll be upright. Hence, I tend to clip out on the top and if I wait for the pedal to get there before putting my foot on it (which I do naturally), it'll be the right way up. For the times I get it wrong (eg slack riding or I've knocked the thing), I just lift my foot for half a turn and it's the right way up. Felt funny at first but it's second nature now.

Richard

europa

Postby europa » Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:59 pm

In the old days, pedals were a rebuildable item and you were expected to rebuild them periodically. Of course, only nerds ever did :roll: However, the short lives reported above seem odd.

Richard

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:04 pm

I have one bike with M324s and one with M520s at the moment. I notice the M324s look better made than the 520s, and the 520 produces a more noticeable click as you get in and out. I pretty much wrecked the regular pedals that came with the Trek over 1500 or so kms, so I'll see how these go.

Crank Bros pedals look secksi though.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:38 pm

MTB riders (this one at least) tend to give pedals a hard life, it's amazing how many times I've belted rocks with them, I don't think I've actually worn out a pedal, smashed a few though :oops: Because of that I tend to treat them as semi disposable items, at the 505/520 level, it's cheaper to replace than repair.

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby heavymetal » Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:25 pm

europa wrote::D Just fitted brand new M505s (cheap off ebay) to the Europa and they haven't missed a beat ... mind you, I haven't ridden with them anyway but sitting there next to the bike spinning them with your finger counts doesn't it?

Richard
You have to clip the shoes in for it to count. Whether your feet are in the shoes doesn't matter. :D

Kev.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:29 pm

heavymetal wrote:You have to clip the shoes in for it to count. Whether your feet are in the shoes doesn't matter. :D
Kev.
You just want to watch his face go all red as he tries to unclip the shoes with his hands :lol:

Shaun

europa

Postby europa » Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:53 pm

I have already clipped my shoes in and clipped them out ... by hand, while sitting next to the bike on the carpet :D

Richard

531db

Postby 531db » Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:47 pm

Now LOOK here, if it's a road bike LOOK pedals are the answer. The downside is the difficulty walking with this type of cleats and shoes, but we are cyclists not hikers right?

Actually , I have a set of those handy LOOK cleat covers made by Exustar, which saves the on the cleat wear.

tuco

Postby tuco » Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:54 pm

Going clipless has solved my right knee swelling problem.
I knew I was doing it but it was hard to not do it, with straps I was pushing down on the outside of the pedal causing me knee to move outwards on the down stroke.

I still do it a little but the soreness from the pressure on the right underside of my right foot reminds me I'm doing it.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:45 pm

531db wrote:Now LOOK here, if it's a road bike LOOK pedals are the answer. The downside is the difficulty walking with this type of cleats and shoes, but we are cyclists not hikers right?

Actually , I have a set of those handy LOOK cleat covers made by Exustar, which saves the on the cleat wear.
+1 I use cheap LOOK pedals. And you can get the cleats off FleaBay for a song. Why bother using spd pedals on a road bike?

Burn plenty of Glycogen
Frame Size Calculator
ImageImageImage
training log
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?