suspension?

davo231481

suspension?

Postby davo231481 » Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:47 pm

hi
im considering looking at putting some suspension at the front on my 94 giant yukon. Anything i need to consider before getting on ebay.

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:48 pm

Davo
Last edited by MountGower on Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LuckyPierre

Postby LuckyPierre » Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:49 pm

If the Yukon didn't originally have suspension (the current ones do), then it's geometry is such that it can't really be done - the head tube is the wrong length.
If it did, then the sky's the limit - you probably need to match the suspension travel that your old fork had, but you can get 'smart lockout' vs manual / remote lockout and a lot better damping control without great expense.
Oops, I'm a roadie - what am I doing ... ? :oops:

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:13 pm

G'Day davo231481 :)

A 94 Yukon you say, hmmm.

Lets see.

Fitting What is the head tube diameter, will it take a 1 1/8 steerer?
Geometry Bounce forks are longer measured from dropout to crown race, this will slacken off the head angle, making the bike steer like an oil tanker unless you can find a short travel fork (50mm), a rarity these days.
Engineering The extra length of the fork will exert greater leverage than the frame was designed for at the head tube/downtube junction, cracks are common after this conversion.
Finance You'll need to factor in the cost of the fork, a new headset and stem as well as fitting, this would probably equal or exceed the cost of a new bike at a similar level.

IMO you'd be better off riding the Yukon as is and putting the cash towards a new or younger bike if you want suspension. You'll also be getting the benefit of twelve odd years of drivetrain and brake development.

Sorry if this sounds discouraging, but I went down that track a while back.

Shaun

beauyboy

Postby beauyboy » Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:15 pm

I have the tendency to agree buy a new bike which is designed for a suspention fork then retro-fitting. However I do not know how much your bike may cost to replace.
I ride Avanti Pionear, this comes with smart lockout for the suspention fork. This is particuly good as it means when pedeling I am not losing power into the suspention but if I hit something hard it engages and the bump is not as hard. Trust me you still feel it but not as bad. :oops:

Donald
BCC give us some more bikeways fore safe travel!!!!
Upgrade the NCL now QR!!!!!!
http://nakedcyclistbrissy.blogspot.com/
My views do not represent any organisation I may be apart of unless otherwise stated

davo231481

Postby davo231481 » Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:41 pm

Thanx for the heads up everyone who replied.Yep i expect a younger bike will be on the horizon shortly.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:32 pm

No worries Davo, glad to help. Don't forget to drop in and brag when it happens :)

Shaun