Extra bottle cages

hartleymartin

Extra bottle cages

Postby hartleymartin » Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:59 pm

I've got one bottle cage on the supplied mountings on the bottom tube. Where can I get ones for mounting on the seat tube and a pair that go over the top tube near the front?
Martin Christopher Hartley

http://raleightwenty.webs.com - the top web resource for the Raleigh Twenty

Aushiker

Re: Extra bottle cages

Postby Aushiker » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:59 am

G'day

LBS, Wiggle, ChainReaction, PBK and the list goes on ... or is there something special you are looking for not available from the normal sources?

Andrew

JV911

Postby JV911 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:24 am

hartleymartin wrote:a pair that go over the top tube near the front?
never seen these :?:
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:07 pm

ProfileDesign does a dual carrier that attaches to the seat rails - about $70 - $80 in the local shops here. But the cages are shite and drop bottles, so price in some better cages that positively retain the bottles. If you need more than three bottles on the bike, you might as well buy a hydration pack.
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

hartleymartin

Postby hartleymartin » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:35 pm

I do have a hydration pack, but it only holds 1.5 Litres. I was looking for a way to attach lots of extra bottles to the frame as a means of carrying lots of water between watering points. Previously I had used ex-army 2Litre bottles strapped to the front racks, but these have proven to be a bit impractical. I figure that using standard bottle cages and several of the same water bottle would work better for me.

Chanboy

Postby Chanboy » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:45 pm

try something like this?

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:48 pm

G'day

I am still not 100% sure as to what you are after, but you can get cages which held 1.5 litre bottles. I have a couple of Topeak Modula Cage XLon order. Is this what you are looking for?

Regards
Andrew

hartleymartin

Postby hartleymartin » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:11 pm

Aushiker - I might go for a couple of those!

At my LBS I bought a handle-bar mount which allows a standard bottle cage to be mounted to the handlebars. When I get some more money i'll get another one and some more bottle cages...

JV911

Postby JV911 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:18 pm

you planning a ride across the nullarbor or something?
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

hartleymartin

Postby hartleymartin » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:21 pm

JV911 wrote:you planning a ride across the nullarbor or something?
No, but I get thirsty quickly. On my last tour I drank 12 litres in about 9 hours.

ClownBoy

Postby ClownBoy » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:01 pm

You cannot drink too much water!

I have the same problem with being thirsty. I use my camelbak but am trying to think of what to do during events or races when that isn't appropriate.

I am thinking of one of those Topeak things.

I do like that front pannier setup just shown though.

Caelum

Postby Caelum » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:05 pm

ClownBoy wrote:You cannot drink too much water!

I beg to differ:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication

Nearly all deaths related to water intoxication in normal individuals have resulted either from water drinking contests, in which individuals attempt to consume more than 10 liters (2.2 imp gal; 2.6 U.S. gal) of water over the course of just a few minutes, or long bouts of intensive exercise during which electrolytes are not properly replenished, yet massive amounts of fluid are still consumed.

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/newscen ... etail.html
NewsCenter 5's Heather Unruh reported that Cynthia Lucero, 28, suffered from hyponatremia, or water intoxication, a condition complicated by stress hormones.

"You can get too much of a good thing," said Dr. Arthur Siegel, of McLean Hospital. "With prolonged, strenuous exercise, the combination of too much water plus the muscle injury that shuts down the ability of the kidney to excrete the water produces this dangerous, life-threatening problem."

The longer the event, the greater the risk, whether athletes drink water or sodium-laden sports drinks. Siegel said that Lucero's tragedy was preventable if scales were used to monitor marathoners' weight.

"The way to prevent this is for a runner to weigh themselves before the race and write the weight down on a bib," Siegel said.

Siegel said runners who feel bad could be weighed again, and if the weight is down, they could be treated for dehydration.

"If their weight is up, however, as Cynthia's would have been shown to be, then the problem is water intoxication," Siegel said. "And the important approach then is no fluids."

Siegel said anyone out for a 30- to 45-minute workout can drink without risk. But athletes in long-distance sports, such as marathoners, should be aware of the dangers of drinking too much.

Chanboy

Postby Chanboy » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:06 pm

I don't think there is any fear of Martin drinking all 12 litres of his expected consumption in a few minutes. It's true that in very specific situations you can have too much water, but it is way out of context to what is being talked about in this thread.

Caelum

Postby Caelum » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:36 pm

Chanboy wrote:I don't think there is any fear of Martin drinking all 12 litres of his expected consumption in a few minutes. It's true that in very specific situations you can have too much water, but it is way out of context to what is being talked about in this thread.

I guess you missed the part which said:

"or long bouts of intensive exercise during which electrolytes are not properly replenished, yet massive amounts of fluid are still consumed."

ie, if you drink water, water, and nothing but water, and large amounts(12 litres say), you could be in danger.

hartleymartin

Postby hartleymartin » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:40 pm

The 12 litres of water was consumed over a period of about 8 hours. Most of it went straight back out of me as sweat. I started licking my fore-arms to ensure that I got some salts back into me.

Caelum

Postby Caelum » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:15 pm

Unless you were licking your whole body, there isn't much good you'd do :P

Chanboy

Postby Chanboy » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:42 am

I call BS on the drinking too much water for this specific situation. He is bike touring, not marathon running. Bike touring you stop every now and then, you eat, you drink, you take a piss... you are not riding or running at 100% for the whole time.

There is a risk of loss of essential body salts... but that is from sweating, not from drinking too much.

If this thread was about marathon running or drinking completions, then the arguments may have some merit. However in this case Martin could drink 12L over 9 hours or 24L of 9 hours... if he is going to the toilet and/or sweating... all he needs to do is eat some food or salt supplements.

Offering advise that drinking a lot of water in the context of this thread is providing miss-information, and in itself is dangerous. (not to mention pointless and has nothing to do with the thread, except for argue for arguments sake against Clownboy's one liner)

Now, perhaps we could advise him on ways he can carry a few extra litres on his bike, like his thread was asking...

Chanboy

Postby Chanboy » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:20 am

FYI - i reckon cable tied on cages to your racks is the cheapest and simplest option - though depends on how fashionable you want to be :-)

This could be another option

Caelum

Postby Caelum » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:23 am

You said that you cannot drink too much water, i just wanted to correct that misleading comment, is all :)

ClownBoy

Postby ClownBoy » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:17 am

Caelum wrote:You said that you cannot drink too much water, i just wanted to correct that misleading comment, is all :)
I think the correction was more misleading.

Even if you did just want to tease.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:25 am

ClownBoy wrote:You cannot drink too much water!
You can! And the results are not very nice either. :o :(
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

anthonyje

Postby anthonyje » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:32 am

HHI

I have Minoura Tourers attached to the bake of the seat. It holds two standard bottle cages.

Simple and sturdy.

Don't drink and drive, but drinking and cycling is ok.
\
Ant