wilier bikes - any experiences?

roller

wilier bikes - any experiences?

Postby roller » Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:41 am

anyone had any experiences good, bad or indifferent with wilier bikes?

if so please share.

:D

for those not familiar: www.wilier.it
inflammatory statement or idea

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: wilier bikes - any experiences?

Postby im_no_pro » Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:19 pm

Havent had personal experience, but I know they look the goods. LBS near me is the Australian distributor from memory, and they tend to stick to the good stuff no matter what they sell. (and charge accordingly :shock: )

In saying that, the chain breaker I bought from them recently broke first go :roll: but it was a Giant branded one, so no surprise there :twisted:

Edit: Quote taken from here

The company is not only a major sporting and cycle goods retailer but is also the Australian and New Zealand distributor for various leading International brands in the cycling industry. Brands like Pinarello, Wilier, Olmo, Campagnolo, Deda and Vredestein, all market leaders in their field. The school supply division also boasts an extensive range of products and services including installation of outdoor equipment and indoor gymnasium products.
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

roller

Postby roller » Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:23 pm

cheers for that, the local shop here that is a distributor has been around for centuries and is pretty reputable, so i doubt they'd stock a dodgy brand.

but having said that i haven't really seen that many around (either people on them or in stores), so i thought i would check here on the forums and upon searching the site there were ZERO results for the brand so yeah, it's a bit of an unknown at the moment.

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:26 pm

roller wrote:cheers for that, the local shop here that is a distributor has been around for centuries and is pretty reputable, so i doubt they'd stock a dodgy brand.

but having said that i haven't really seen that many around (either people on them or in stores), so i thought i would check here on the forums and upon searching the site there were ZERO results for the brand so yeah, it's a bit of an unknown at the moment.

See a few around Geelong (for obvious reasons), if I run into a pilot in the near future i'll ask for ya
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

roller

Postby roller » Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:34 pm

hey cheers for that :)

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:40 pm

Italian brand of long history, despite the name sounding 'Belgian'. A marquee name, there used to be many of them around and they were popular partly because Cofidis used them in the pro peloton... They got caught out somewhat by the move to full carbon bikes a few years ago and the prices that came with Taiwanese manufacturing. I don't know much about their current bikes - but suspect only their top of the line models are still handmade in Italy.

a

Postby a » Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:42 pm

My main ride is an 'entry level' O4 Wilier Alu frame. V nice ride for an Alu frame. Wilier are one of the v old Italian bike makers - they started in 1906. Forum gossip is they lost touch with their Italian heritage in the early noughties (they started making bikes as good as Giants :))- but they have their mojo back now. I gues as with most Italian/Euro brands - you are paying a bit for bling - but they are nice bikes.

A number of pro teams ride Wilier, Lampre will be riding the Cento Uno in the TDF.

Old Man Well

Postby Old Man Well » Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:31 pm

I've been looking for one but can't find one in Adelaide thats within my budget :( so I'm most likely getting a Masi instead :)
2009 Bottecchia Altavelocita
1939 Malvern Star (unknown model, 1 star)
1999 Specialized TJ Lavin 415 Vegas (BMX)
Repco Tracer

grosry

Postby grosry » Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:51 pm

im_no_pro wrote: LBS near me is the Australian distributor from memory, and they tend to stick to the good stuff no matter what they sell. (and charge accordingly :shock: )

mmm... I think we have discuses this! It comes up again
(and charge accordingly)
"Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year but eventually it will subside and something else will take it's place. If I quit however, it will last forever." - Lance Armstrong

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:39 pm

Old Man Well wrote:I've been looking for one but can't find one in Adelaide thats within my budget :( so I'm most likely getting a Masi instead :)

OMW - MegaBike on King William Road (Hyde Park) or Blackwood (2 stores) used to sell a lot of them, but that was a few years ago and AKAIK they no longer stock the range. It might be worth calling or talking with Claude to get updated info on availability and supplier. If you like an Italian job (thank you Bishop) then check out Casati etc - there's a bike shop on Portrush Road at Glenunga which is worth a visit (just above Mitre 10 store, Rob is the guy who runs it).

Old Man Well

Postby Old Man Well » Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:32 pm

Thanks rustychisel.
I'll go there tommorow. Been to almost every other bike shop in Adelaide searching for a new bike, but I had'nt come across that one.
Cheers
2009 Bottecchia Altavelocita
1939 Malvern Star (unknown model, 1 star)
1999 Specialized TJ Lavin 415 Vegas (BMX)
Repco Tracer

pooja84

Postby pooja84 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:57 pm

I found it very good. The features are very nice and many good models available but found it very expensive.

roller

Postby roller » Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:00 pm

update on this thread, was in melbourne recently and went to spoke(n), they had a range of about 4 or 5 models and they looked MINT. :drool:

carlisle street, balaclava-ish

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:19 pm

roller wrote:update on this thread, was in melbourne recently and went to spoke(n), they had a range of about 4 or 5 models and they looked MINT. :drool:

carlisle street, balaclava-ish

Update on my doing research for ya, havent seen any Wilier pilots on my rides that I can chat to. Could always ask the LBS/distributor but that aint exactly gonna be an independant opinion :wink:

lukas

Postby lukas » Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:31 pm

They are currently ridden by the Lampre pro team. Their top model, which I think is called the Cento Uno, is a very nice machine which comes with a very large price tag. (well over 10k I believe)

I don't know about any other models but the Cento Uno, which I'm yet to read a bad word about.

Allesandro Ballan's world champion version of his Cento is my vote for the sexiest bike in the peloton.
Cervelo R3
Canyon Ultimate AL

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:55 pm

given the way Ballan disappeared to the back of the peloton every day I'd have thought a Wilier tricycle was the way forward for him (with the rainbow stripes, of course). :twisted:

roller

Postby roller » Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:59 pm

i found it quite amazing that lampre could be riding such sexy bikes and yet have such "OH MY GOD MY EYES!! IT BURNS!! IT BURNS!!" uniforms. .

have seen a few people out locally that have them but haven't had a chance to talk to them.

pondered getting one from spoke(n) but i couldn't give it a test ride while i was in melbourne and am a bit iffy about getting it sent over to WA and putting it back together.

but would rather deal with the LBS.

micfin

Postby micfin » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:45 pm

This is my Wilier,
Great quality built bike, very stiff where it matters, bike leaps forwards at a push.
Having an Italian bike and something different is a plus.
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l59/m ... G_0125.jpg
Last edited by micfin on Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

tripstobaltimore

Postby tripstobaltimore » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:09 pm

The wilier cento uno is my dream bike.

Hope that helps.

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:36 am

micfin wrote:This is my Wilier,
Great quality built bike, very stiff where it matters, bike leaps forwards at a push.
Having an Italian bike and something different is a plus.

Sweet ride dude!! A friend of mine is a Belgium Pro and he rides one, they are very nice.
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

Kid_Carbine

Postby Kid_Carbine » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:26 pm

I know that this is an old thread, but I just found it, so here's my 2 Lira's worth. [Yes, I know they switched to Euro's]

I work as a cycle mechanic in a rural NSW city & we stock both Pinarello & Wilier cycles.
The Wilier name does not sell as well as the Pinarello, probably because it is not as well known, but Wilier do not take a back seat to anybody when it comes to a quality Italian bicycle.

We custom build from a frameset, or offer stock, ride-away models but I rather like building them up with 11 speed Campy bits. The 11 speed is a little bit fiddly to set up at first but once the derailleurs are correctly adjusted, they just sing as you enjoy some of the best riding experiences that Italy has to offer.

Pricing?
Well, these bikes are not K Mart offerings & do not come with K Mart prices. In fact, you had better be the sort of person that can write a cheque for anything between $4,000 & about $14,000 without shedding a tear if you want to step up into the rarified atmosphere of cycling that some of these bikes occupy.

Never wory about the quality of a Wilier, just wory about your new found mates that will be lined up for a 'test ride' on your bike.
Carbine & SJH cycles, & Quicksilver BMX
Now that's AUSTRALIAN to the core.

Chaderotti

Postby Chaderotti » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:43 pm

Kid_Carbine wrote:The Wilier name does not sell as well as the Pinarello, probably because it is not as well known, but Wilier do not take a back seat to anybody when it comes to a quality Italian bicycle.

That's exactly what happened to me. If I knew and wasn't so ignorant I would have given the Willier another look... Wish I knew what model it was.
The pinarello was $3,500 btw, so if you know of any williers around that price bracket please share.
Princess
Mistress = Pinarello Opera, Ultegra SL
Mistress #2 = Drag Bluebird

Redbull

Postby Redbull » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:52 pm

Sad foot note to the Wilier brand was that a couple of weeks the 70 -odd president of the company, Lino Gastaldello, was out on a ride and got hit by a car. Unfortunately he died.

He revived the brand around 25-30 years ago and ran the company with his sons.

Sad :cry:
The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass