CellBikes Road bike geometry

Questions about purchasing bicycles and parts

CellBikes Road bike geometry

Postby oompa » Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:04 am

Hi All,

Just been looking at the CellBikes website and in particular the Triumph and wanted to ride something that had a similar geometry to their bikes before I bought one.

I am having trouble finding a manufactuer who has similar geometry, does anyone know of one, surely their frames aren't unique

Thanks in advance
oompa

by BNA » Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:35 am

BNA

Postby Hotdog » Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:35 am

You haven't put your location in your profile but I take it that visiting the Cell Bikes shop in Sydney for some test rides is out of the question?
Hotdog

Postby oompa » Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:39 am

Hotdog wrote:You haven't put your location in your profile but I take it that visiting the Cell Bikes shop in Sydney for some test rides is out of the question?

Sorry I am in Brisbane so a visit is out of the question, for now anyway.

I guess any other CellBike riders might be able to give their experience with sizing/comfort of these bikes to others they tried
oompa

Re: CellBikes Road bike geometry

Postby sogood » Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:45 am

oompa wrote:Just been looking at the CellBikes website and in particular the Triumph and wanted to ride something that had a similar geometry to their bikes before I bought one.

I am having trouble finding a manufactuer who has similar geometry, does anyone know of one, surely their frames aren't unique

Geometry isn't everything. Two bikes may have identical geometry but with differences in material, construction method and other parameters, there can still be significant differences in their ride. So I don't see much point in doing that. You really need to test ride the specific bike or take a gamble.
Bianchi, Ridley, Montague, GT, Garmin and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.
sogood

Postby MichaelB » Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:46 am

I think that you'll find even if you get comments from a fellow rider, it is a very personal thing.

It depends not on just the geometry of the bike, but the setup to suit you personally, as well as you own bodily dimensions and what you define as "comfort".

I am getting used to my bike, but can't say it is comfortable to ride - to me it's pretty good, but a nice soft lounge chair is "comfortable".

Have you tried to contact the shop to see if there are any owners in your area or another shop that may have them in stock ?

Otherwise, depending on how much you are spending, a cheap plane ticket may be the way to go...

Cheers

Michael B
MichaelB

Postby Hotdog » Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:50 am

oompa wrote:Sorry I am in Brisbane so a visit is out of the question, for now anyway.

OK, that would be a long way to travel just to try a bike. It's taking me months to get around to travelling between Sydney and Canberra to test ride some bikes there, and that's hardly any distance at all in comparison.
oompa wrote:I guess any other CellBike riders might be able to give their experience with sizing/comfort of these bikes to others they tried

Yes, probably your best bet. I'm sure someone on the forum can help.
Hotdog

Postby vitualis » Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:59 pm

I don't have the Triumph but I have the Cell Team. I don't have very much experience but it rides quite well.

Cheers.
Michael Tam
Photos: Michael's bicycle obsession
2009 Pegoretti Responsorium Ciavete Custom :: 1982/3 Colnago Super :: 2006 Cannondale Six13 Pro :: Late 1980s Repco Superlite
vitualis

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:07 pm

Cell bikes represent good value for money for the component set on them. The eariler ones had some really low quality welds on them, but having seen the more recent ones, the quality issue with the welds is no longer.

The problem with buying mail order, is that you don't get fitted to the bike and fit to bike is very important. Do you have someone who can help you out with getting fitted to the bike?

Burn plenty of Glycogen
Frame Size Calculator.....Park Tools Repair Guides
ImageImageImage
training log
A helmet saved my life
mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby oompa » Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:16 pm

mikesbytes wrote:The problem with buying mail order, is that you don't get fitted to the bike and fit to bike is very important. Do you have someone who can help you out with getting fitted to the bike?

I was hoping to make a determination on which frame size to get based on info on the net. From here things get a little more tricky. A few of the LBS have a fitting service but I think this is more geared around people who buy the bikes from them. I think I will ask though, can't hurt
oompa

Postby sogood » Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:28 pm

oompa wrote:A few of the LBS have a fitting service but I think this is more geared around people who buy the bikes from them. I think I will ask though, can't hurt

In exchange for money, of course they do. But then there's the issue of quality of their service and the possibility that they may have a hidden agenda to sell you replacement parts like a stem of a different length.
Bianchi, Ridley, Montague, GT, Garmin and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.
sogood

Return to Buying a bike / parts