Down to two

sandcastle_it

Down to two

Postby sandcastle_it » Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:56 pm

Afternoon all.

Thanks to all the previous help, I think I have my selection down to two candidates.

Avanti Black Thunder ($380)

grr, still can't link... /comp-mtb/black-thunder.aspx?bid=40

Giant Thermo 2 ($600)

grr, still can't link... /en-AU/bikes/mountain/169/22464/

I felt quite comfortable on both, possibly more so on the Avanti but that was probably the more padded/bigger seat, and I was only on the bike for 2 minutes around the block...

I'm unlikely to be doing any down-hill or hill-climbing, but want to be able to ride some of the same dirt paths I'm used to jogging. The oil suspension in the Giant felt a lot nicer than the Avanti, but really I just want one that will last.

Is the 50%+ price jump worth it? Is the better fork and disc brakes etc. going to cost me more money to maintain over the next 5 years or so? Can you still attach kiddie seats/tow behind trailer things/racks etc. to the different shaped Giant (I know you can on the Avanti?)?

Thanks!

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:08 pm

I'd have the Thermo 2... It's got much better gear, will be a true off road platform.

Don't buy the bike for the seat, you can get a fantastic seat for $60 down the track.

You'll have to ask the dealer if you can fit a rack, I can't tell from the photos. Most hard tail MTBs can.

stryker84

Postby stryker84 » Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:17 pm

what Bnej said is definitely good advice.

however, if you're not planning for true off-roading, but going on just "joggable" (my new word for the day!) paths, then i'd go the Avanti, simply due to the saving in cost (an extra 50% is a lot, to me).

that's how i interpret jogging trails anyway, now if it were hiking/trekking trails, then maybe the answer may be slightly different.

i haven't really checked out the componentry on them, but i'm not really that sure how much difference performance/durability-wise with MTB components anyway, i'm not a MTBer... road components are tough enough for me to get my head around.

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:23 pm

50% is a lot sure. But:

1) If you buy a bike too cheap to start, you'll want another one sooner.
2) $600 vs $380 over a 5 year (min) life span is $30 per year difference - 2 pizzas a year!
3) You might start on joggable paths, but you'll want to do more as you get fit. Better to have a bike that lets you.
4) You're going to ride more if your bike is nicer.

And so on. This is how I got from a $995 road bike to a $1950 full carbon road bike in the space of a fortnight of thinking about it. ;)

sandcastle_it

Postby sandcastle_it » Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:48 pm

Just as I thought... an opinion each way! ;-)

I'm trying to avoid the "the more I think about it, the more I spend" trick myself... but I agree I don't want to buy another one in 6 months because I didn't get one quite good enough...

Are oil shocks and disc brakes (the ones on the thermo 2) enough of an improvement for the moolah? Or do they cost too much more to maintain (or replace if they wear out quicker) than the cheaper options, even if they are better to use while they are working?

Keep it coming... it's a tie so far :lol:

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:09 pm

Good shocks are worth paying for. They'll cost more to replace should you break them, but often they will be more serviceable than cheap ones, so under normal use and with proper maintenance (don't ignore it if they're leaking), they'll last ages.

Mechanical discs like on the Thermo don't really provide a braking force advantage on V brakes, but they will let your rims last longer (brakes won't be crushing them in), and are less likely to rub and cause drag. They also tend to keep out of the mud and dirt better, and will work better in the wet.

The running gear and shifters on the Thermo are quite a bit better too, likely to handle the dirt a lot better than the recreational gear on the Avanti.

So you get a lot for your 2 pizzas a year. ;)

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:54 pm

G'Day Sandcastle.

I've got the Giant catalogue in front of me ATM and the Avanti 's page next to it, the spec sheets are screaming Giant. You're pretty much looking at a path cruiser vs an entry level MTB.

IMO you basically have two options, get the cheaper bike now, and in a few months as you get fitter and a bit more adventurous, kick yourself for not spending a bit more or spend a bit more now :) I found that out many many years back with my first MTB and vowed never to do it again.

Disc brakes rock! You'll have to do a bit of work to adjust out pad wear and cable stretch, but you have to do that with Vs anyway :wink: The benefits of all weather stopping and no wear on the rims outweigh any perceived maintenance issues.

Having waffled all that, you've still gotta test ride the bikes, the best looking bike with all the bling is just a sculpture if you don't actually ride the thing.

Shaun