Trek 4500

ningnangnong
Posts: 124
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:42 pm
Location: Bikini Atoll

Trek 4500

Postby ningnangnong » Fri May 18, 2007 11:18 pm

Decent bike?

I don't want anything over a grand, hardtail MTB, only ride 20km or 30km every few days, so nothing really serious.

Just want your opinions.

Any other recommendations would be appreciated.

User avatar
europa
Posts: 7333
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:51 am
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Fri May 18, 2007 11:31 pm

You riding 20 - 30 km over dirt? No? Why an mtb? You can buy road bikes for under a grand (eg OCR3, some of the Cell range, many hybrids and others) that'll do your 20-30km on the road quite easily and far more easily than your mtb. However, if you're doing 20-30km on dirt, you might want something better than a cheap mtb.

Okay, I'm being rude. Too tired to do it properly, however, it will make it easier for us to help if we know exactly what you want to do. What I said above about road vs dirt over that distance is correct and I think you'll find some nice road bikes for under a grand. The so-called 'comfort' bikes and the hybrids have widish wheels and will handle dirt well but are more tuned for road work so if that's the sort of riding you are looking at, they might be a better choice than your mtb.

Richard

ningnangnong
Posts: 124
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:42 pm
Location: Bikini Atoll

Postby ningnangnong » Sat May 19, 2007 9:30 am

europa wrote:You riding 20 - 30 km over dirt? No? Why an mtb? You can buy road bikes for under a grand (eg OCR3, some of the Cell range, many hybrids and others) that'll do your 20-30km on the road quite easily and far more easily than your mtb. However, if you're doing 20-30km on dirt, you might want something better than a cheap mtb.

Okay, I'm being rude. Too tired to do it properly, however, it will make it easier for us to help if we know exactly what you want to do. What I said above about road vs dirt over that distance is correct and I think you'll find some nice road bikes for under a grand. The so-called 'comfort' bikes and the hybrids have widish wheels and will handle dirt well but are more tuned for road work so if that's the sort of riding you are looking at, they might be a better choice than your mtb.

Richard


Not all of its dirt, but a bit of it's rough terrain which you can't ride a road bike on. So it's a bit of both

Stop questioning me. :wink:

Already have a bike like the one i'm looking at, suits me fine, i don't mind riding it on the footpath/road.

You said Cell bikes, are they any good, because they seem fairly cheap.

User avatar
europa
Posts: 7333
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:51 am
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Sat May 19, 2007 10:28 am

Fair enough, if you need an mtb, an mtb is the way to go :D I just wanted to make sure because a lot of people choose them simply for the lower price and it's not always the right choice.

Anyway, mtb it is.

Your question about Cell bikes comes up a lot. They appear to be very good value for what they are. I've never seen one, but just reading this forum suggests to me that if you see a Cell bike you like, buy it.

The weekends can be a bit quiet here, but hopefully one of the mtb boys will be able to give you some feedback on your Trek though to be honest, the Trek range are a pretty safe choice ... provided the bike suits you.

Richard

ningnangnong
Posts: 124
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:42 pm
Location: Bikini Atoll

Postby ningnangnong » Sat May 19, 2007 10:37 am

europa wrote:Fair enough, if you need an mtb, an mtb is the way to go :D I just wanted to make sure because a lot of people choose them simply for the lower price and it's not always the right choice.

Anyway, mtb it is.

Your question about Cell bikes comes up a lot. They appear to be very good value for what they are. I've never seen one, but just reading this forum suggests to me that if you see a Cell bike you like, buy it.

The weekends can be a bit quiet here, but hopefully one of the mtb boys will be able to give you some feedback on your Trek though to be honest, the Trek range are a pretty safe choice ... provided the bike suits you.

Richard


Cheers mate.

I might have a look into Cell if they're half decent. :)

User avatar
Bnej
Posts: 2880
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:43 pm
Location: Katoomba, NSW

Postby Bnej » Sat May 19, 2007 10:41 am

Well, the LBS up where I live hires out Trek 4300s, which see a lot of use and abuse on rough trails, and they're certainly solid bikes.

Trek won't sell you a bad bike, so as long as you're happy with the level and type of components it's a fine choice.

Trek frames might be a bit stronger than the Cell frames, though it's hard to tell. Trek offers a lifetime warranty on the frame, Cell offers 5 years I think. Frame breakage is pretty rare though (except through abuse), so you ought to be pretty safe.

ningnangnong
Posts: 124
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:42 pm
Location: Bikini Atoll

Postby ningnangnong » Sat May 19, 2007 10:47 am

Bnej wrote:Well, the LBS up where I live hires out Trek 4300s, which see a lot of use and abuse on rough trails, and they're certainly solid bikes.

Trek won't sell you a bad bike, so as long as you're happy with the level and type of components it's a fine choice.

Trek frames might be a bit stronger than the Cell frames, though it's hard to tell. Trek offers a lifetime warranty on the frame, Cell offers 5 years I think. Frame breakage is pretty rare though (except through abuse), so you ought to be pretty safe.


Thanks for the reply mate.

Probably leaning towards the Trek at this stage.

Have till July till decide though. :D

User avatar
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod
Posts: 28265
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:41 pm
Location: Sunbury Vic

Postby Mulger bill » Sat May 19, 2007 2:48 pm

Don't buy without a test ride, Trek are a good brand, but there's plenty more that are just as good and might have the frame and bits YOU fall in love with. The more fun you have, the more you'll ride,

Shaun

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: beanbiken, Duck!, find_bruce, rangersac