buying first road bike

daveywastaken

buying first road bike

Postby daveywastaken » Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:35 pm

greetings to all

im 23 and new to bikes, i have an old avanti flat bar i just ride for a bit of fun every now and then but ive caught the bug watching the tour de france haha. read a few posts and done a bit of research over the past week(still trying to take it all in).

so im in the market for a road bike. my MAX budget would b 1.8k so from what i can tell that would leave me with a aluminium frame, carbon forks with 105 gear or better? A LBS has a BH Speedrom 08 model on sale for 2k and it might b in my size. is anyone familiar with these bikes? i cant find anything about them on the forums here. would love a full carbon bike if i could get one for 2k haha. im 192cm tall and 92kg if this helps. i plan to ride the bike to and from work a couple of days a week and go for longer rides on the weekend. mayb join a club

im also willing to buy online/second hand or even put it together myself if im going to save money or get better gear for my money but as im a newbie mayb a LBS would b the best idea?

any advice, info and suggestions on brands/models greatly appreciated

cheers
dave

Chaderotti

Re: buying first road bike

Postby Chaderotti » Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:40 pm

Keep in mind you'll need a lot for other important things like shoes, pedals, clothes, saddle bag, tools etc etc. So realistically, your budget is down to 1k-1.2k.
Princess
Mistress = Pinarello Opera, Ultegra SL
Mistress #2 = Drag Bluebird

JRR88

Postby JRR88 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:42 pm

1. If I were you I would wait until I had around 2000+ saved and then buy. You will do better for that sort of money. Ask 20 people and you will get 20 views on quality brands. It is quite subjective and very much personal taste and budget. You don't need a full carbon bike for what you plan so concentrate on getting a good alloy frame (often come with some carbon components) with the best Shimano group set you can afford. Also watch and research the brand and quality level of the wheels you are getting.

2.. There are a few bike shops in the Northern beaches area. You need to browse these to see what is available and also venture to other north side shops. Learn your components - if you have not already - and ask a lot of questions. Generally speaking you get what you pay for.

3. I have always found the people at Brookvale Bike Factory in Pittwater Rd to be very helpful and knowledgeable and they are close by. Seek out the most senior guy there.

4. Being measured up correctly and then being fitted up to your bike is more important than the brand of bike you buy provided you purchase a reputable brand with quality components.
The guys at The BBF will do that measuring for you. If you go to a bike shop that won't measure you up and then fit you to a bike,it's probably best to go elsewhere. If you wind up with an ill-fitting bike it will not be that pleasant to ride and handling will also be impaired. You may also end up with a sore back or some other complaint. BBF may not stock the brand you might prefer but they told me in the past that they would order in an item if I wanted a particular brand. (I currently own a full Ultegra equipped road race bike I purchased at another store but have visited them quite a few times when looking for a 3rd bike - and many times previously).

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:46 pm

+ 1 to all that JRR88 said...

can't comment on BBF of course, but you've done it right for the first step. Confirm you like cycling, that the bug has bitten, then do the research and buy well. Otherwise, there are 2 paths you can go by, but in the long there's still time to change the road you're on... :idea:

the right bike is the one which leaves you smiling every time you go for a ride. Have fun.

Pushy

Postby Pushy » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:13 am

Les
06' Giant TCR C1
08' Colnago CLX
07' Apollo Swift

VW Jetta Diesel 5.5l/100km

tripstobaltimore

Postby tripstobaltimore » Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:59 am

Have a look at www.this link is broken, the bike with Tiagra components should be a good start. Its not very flashy or name brand cool, but its great value for money. I ride a cell team (somewhat seriously) and it is great. You can't beat the components spec for the price. It will leave you cash left over for pedals, shoes, helmet (if needed) and whatever else you'll need.

Stackhat

Postby Stackhat » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:05 am

Dave,

You might want to have a look at my bike that i am selling, it is the exact height for you and is literally brand new

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=17445

daveywastaken

Postby daveywastaken » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:35 am

ta for the replies guys.

went down to favourite cycles in manly to check the BH speedrom. from what ive read there quality frames weight and performance wise. i think it was running 105 gear as well. its officially a 52cm frame but because of the slope on the top tube its actually a 57cm frame but unfortunately it was marginally to small :(

ive heard good stuff about scott cr1 frames and that they were only a few years ago a TdF bike. if i know i need an XL i could go ahead and get one off bikeechange with mainly tiagra stuff for 2k(on sale) dont know why but all the good sale prices seem to b in VIC haha :? . i could then go to a LBS and get a proper fitting yeah? also buy the pedals/shoes and the rest of the stuff from them. then as i need/want to upgrade i could do so?

the cr1 looks super cool and being full carbon it would def leave a smile on my face :lol:

nice bike stackhat definately have to consider that if its a good price :wink:

Stackhat

Postby Stackhat » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:10 am

I think you will be rather shocked as to how cheap i am willing to let it go and the massive depreciation hit i will take :(