What helmet - advice please

Fezz

Re: What helmet - advice please

Postby Fezz » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:49 am

kilroy wrote:I got the Giro Atmos from PBK. Much more comfortable than my Met.
Yeah, great helmet - very happy with it.

I too purchased from O/S, saved $100+ not too concerned over the sticker have never heard of anyone getting in trouble for not having it. I'll just say it must have fallen off. :D

jgreen

Postby jgreen » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:00 pm

i imported an oxford road helmet (american standards :evil: ) which is simply brilliant for weight, comfort, ventilation, adn noise for just under $100 dollars, wich i was very happy with as it is worth a good deal more than that, and looks great!
Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them -- a desire, a dream, a vision.
Muhammad Ali

Velocite Helios, Avanti Corsa Pro Elite, Kuwahara K-Pro 6000

Richard.L

Postby Richard.L » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:48 pm

Is it me or is there a new (EDIT: Australian standard) sticker ive seen.
I got my Rosebank helment like 3 years ago which has a Shiny sticker with red on it(not paper, sort of like metalic)
Ive been recently looking at enthausist range of specialized helments and they have just a black and white paper sticker?
Last edited by Richard.L on Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:44 am

Richard.L wrote:Is it me or is there a new sticker ive seen.
I got my Rosebank helment like 3 years ago which has a Shiny sticker with red on it(not paper, sort of like metalic)
Ive been recently looking at enthausist range of specialized helments and they have just a black and white paper sticker?
G'day

I think you will find that is a product identification sticker and not the certification sticker, but then I could be wrong.

Andrew

provoked

Postby provoked » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:47 am

Another vote for the Monza - got the Matt Black one.

Comfortable, light, well ventilated (= frozen head in winter). It's really easy to forget to put this helmet on my head, as when worn feels like nothing is there!
Giant TCR Alliance 2 '09

The mind is its own place, and in itself, can make heaven of Hell, and a hell of Heaven. - John Milton

Bantam Roosta

Postby Bantam Roosta » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:16 pm

Just a further question on helmets. Probably sounds stupid, but is the foam padding in them just for comfort?

The foam in my helmet has completely gone, but it doesn't faze me in the slightest. It still sits comfortably enough. Any problem with this?

wintal

Postby wintal » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:34 pm

Bantam Roosta wrote:Just a further question on helmets. Probably sounds stupid, but is the foam padding in them just for comfort?

The foam in my helmet has completely gone, but it doesn't faze me in the slightest. It still sits comfortably enough. Any problem with this?
The soft foam? As far as I know it's just for comfort, and I guess might have a slight amount of value in holding the helmet in the right position - if it's gone and the helmet's still snug and comfortable I wouldn't stress about it.

Cheers,
Leighton...

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:01 am

Yep, what he said. Main reason for the foam pads is to fine tune the fit and mebbe a little sweat absorbtion.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Fletcher

Postby Fletcher » Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:42 pm

I bought a Rosebank Octane for $50 from Big W, as I'm a beginner just getting back into cycling on a limited budget. When I bought it, I thought I was getting the best of the cheap helmets. It's reasonably comfy, fits well, and looks ok. On further examination, it's not hard to see why you don't find these in the LBS. Although there is plenty of foam, the outer coating of polywhatever is woefully thin, and would come away immediately in the instance of contact with the road/path. Methinks I'll be replacing it within a few months.

grosry

Postby grosry » Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:42 pm

i gota giro a couple months ago... love it! :mrgreen: so nice to wear and all the rest - plus is saved $130 -
"Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year but eventually it will subside and something else will take it's place. If I quit however, it will last forever." - Lance Armstrong

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:29 pm

How are the Giro's (ionos) for fore head cooling? I've got a bell Sweep R and the only down side is sweat builds up along the brim on a hot day and then drips down. I'm thinking about getting a Speciclised S-Works as i like the idea of the big air port on the front.
Current Ride: Trek Madone 6.5 (2013)

fatherofmany
Location: Central Coast NSW Australia 33°26'16"S 151°20'39.50"E ish

Postby fatherofmany » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:10 pm

Well I've looked around for helmets that have the plastic covering the rear part of the helmet and almost all leave an exposed piece of foam at the back.

Notice I said almost.

Unfortunately the ones that do are the 'licenced' helmets. ie ones with disney characters or whatever all over them.

So far nothing has tempted me to change, I still have a couple of years worth in the ones I've got but I'll keep looking I guess.
15 Bikes 2 adults 6 children, 2 dogs, 10 chooks and a heck of a lot of fish

wayno

Postby wayno » Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:03 pm

HAKS wrote:I've got a bell Sweep R and the only down side is sweat builds up along the brim on a hot day and then drips down
Diitto. I just got a Laser Genesis, so far no sweat drip but summer will be the real test