Which bike for me?

srga

Which bike for me?

Postby srga » Thu May 24, 2007 5:04 pm

Hey guys, I'm new to this whole forum thing, but thought I'd give it a go. I've just completed my first triathlon season, and thoroughly enjoyed it, am heading over to the states in July with uni and in the hunt for a new bike...the prices over there, including shipping are upwards of $1500 cheaper than here! I'd would love to hear some advice from others on what sort of bike I should pruchase when I head over - I'm relatively new to bikes, and thus far, my only requirements are full ultegra running gear and best value for money.

I'm looking for a new tri bike, and am torn between the Kestrel Talon, the Cervelo P2 SL and maybe the Giant Trinity Alliance 1. What are your thoughts? Do I need the full carbon frame offered by Kestrel? Is cervelo just the acest and I should stick with them or should I go for the composite frame offered by Giant, with its softness and firmness needed where necessary? I'm looking at spending <2,500 (US) for the complete package.

Many thanks guys, I'd appreciate any help or other suggestions.

srga.

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Thu May 24, 2007 5:22 pm

You don't 'need' a full carbon frame, or any of the other stuff. You are the prime factor in how fast you go. However, buy the best you can afford and grow into it (and it sounds like you are well on your way :wink:).

I don't know the particular bikes nor do I understand the dictates of time trialling, but I do know the requirements are different to a bike designed for racing or training ... which is what this bike is going to spend most of its time doing :? So I guess it's a compromise and only you can answer that one.

With the frame, full carbon doesn't necessarily make the frame better than composite - it depends on the frame and how well it was built. I guess it's a matter of checking out the compromises (such as geometry, riding position, etc) and seeing how they check out. If it came to a choice between the ideal frame and 105 gear vs a not so perfect frame with Ultegra, I don't think you'd be hurt by taking the 105 groupset.

Have fun with it. Moving to the states eh? I guess you deserve a nice bike to compensate :D

Richard

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Thu May 24, 2007 5:27 pm

Have a friend who bought a tri bike in the US and shipped it over. Ended up being about $800 cheaper than buying here so he was pretty happy!!

I haven't ridden any you mention, but know that Kestral have a big following in tri circles, as do Cervelo in tri and road circles. Giants generally seem good, and at that price, whichever you choose, you won't be buying a bad bike anyway.

You may welcome the added shock absorbing properties of full carbon in a long course tri over an ali.

I considered a tri bike many months ago and was looking at Felt - they seemed good value for money. Went with a road bike in the end and purchased a Scott CR1. They aren't huge in Aus, but popular in the US. They may also be an option as they have a good tri reputation. I figured any company that does bikes, ski gear, and paintballing equipment must be good :D

You will need to ride each one pretty extensively as the positioning on each will be quite different, despite the aero positioning of all.

I haven't really helped...sorry... :wink:

Moo...

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Thu May 24, 2007 5:31 pm

Admirable restraint my dear Moo - I was expecting a rant about carbon :D

Richard
(for the newies, she's the resident carbon fibre fetishist :shock: )

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu May 24, 2007 11:45 pm

G'Day srga, welcome :)

You've done the research, now do the fun bit.

TEST RIDE! Find a good shop, get these bikes under your backside and have a go, with a bit of luck, one will whisper sweet nothings in your ear and, bang, you're in love :lol: That will be the bike to buy, while we all have our preferences for frame material, seriously, the one you want to get out and ride just because is the bike for you.
europa wrote:You don't 'need' a full carbon frame, or any of the other stuff...

I'm suprised you didn't get slapped for that Richard :wink:

Good luck, srga

Shaun

Halfanewb

Postby Halfanewb » Fri May 25, 2007 7:06 am

Hi srga, welcome to the forums :)

Go the Cervelo mate, designed and built by engineers. The Soloist team is a awesome frame and can do both tt and road racing because of the ability to reverse the saddle fixture.

gururug

Postby gururug » Fri May 25, 2007 8:27 am

Good luck finding a shop with these bike for you to test. Her in AUS / sydney I think only Clarence would come close to haveing maybe one of them let alone all three.

Prepare to be patient hunting down these bikes. I don't know much about TT or Tri but I have seen Cervelo mentioned lots.

srga

Which bike for me?

Postby srga » Fri May 25, 2007 10:18 am

Thanks hepas for your input guys, I really appreciate the rapid responses. I'm heading over in late june til late July so will keep you all updated with what I eventually purchase. Once again, thanks for your honesty and help!

srga.

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri May 25, 2007 12:26 pm

US$2500 in the US would get you a great bike doesn't matter which way you go. A lot of it at that price range is in your personal preference and bias.

Given your focus on tri, Cervelo would be a good way to go as it can be easily doubled as a TT bike. But the issue with Cervelo is that they don't have a lot of price variation ie. No huge bargains to be had. The other issue to consider is warranty, they are typically region based. So no worldwide warranty.

Competitive Cyclist <http://www.competitivecyclist.com/> is one place worth checking out as well as many of the other mail order houses.

Good luck!
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.