Buying a roadie ($1200ish), shoes, pedals etc. ($1,500 total

maxwolfie1

Buying a roadie ($1200ish), shoes, pedals etc. ($1,500 total

Postby maxwolfie1 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:54 pm

G'day there,

So I'm gonna buy a roadie.

I've got.. well.. probably $1,500 to spend all up (I.e. $1,200 for the bike, and I've allowed $300 or thereabouts for additional "must-haves" - I don't really want to spend more. I can spend more but I don't want to. I'm going to be pretty stubborn about my budget, as I know it always creeps up and up and up until I end up with a $5,000 Pinarello. Been there, done that, not going to happen again.

What I'm looking for is a good starter bike, good spec for the money etc. I don't mind buying second hand as I've learnt many lessons in the past two years, what to look for etc. Unless of course there are other things to look at when looking at roadies (I.e. brakes etc?). Being a Giant "fan boy" (I have a Giant Reign, Giant Boulder and Giant Glory) I'm naturally inclined to look at Giant, but I'm very much open to suggestions and I don't *have* to have a Giant by any means. Having said that, if Giant's rule the roadie world in bang for buck (as they do in MTB, IMO), then I have no problem with purchasing yet another either

Other than the bike, I'm budgeting for a pair of roadie shoes, pedals and a computer. I have absolutely no idea about any of these, as I assume roadie gear is pretty different and generally not comparable to MTB gear.

Previous post/thread at another forum that might shed more light:
I own a 2008 Giant Reign, for which I have two wheelsets - a dirt wheelset (2.35" High Rollers) and a road wheelset (1.25" slicks). It's been a great bike for the trails, however it's quite sluggish even with the slicks on the road. During the week, it's not really feasible to ride trails early in the morning or late in the afternoon, so I've been riding around Parramatta Park (ride there, 5 laps, ride home). At the moment I can crank out just over 20km's in under an hour (inc. riding there and home again).

I've kind of gotten to the point where it's becoming a real drag and I'm losing my motivation to go on daily morning (6:30AM - 7.30AM) road rides.

As such, I'm thinking about a roadie. I'm assuming that I'll be a lot quicker/competitive on a roadie and as such I might enjoy it a little more and it won't be a such a drag to pump out a few laps. I guess I'll probably be able to pump out a few extra laps in the hour too. I might even join a club, who knows.

I'm looking to spend around $1,000 - $1,500 (absolute tops).. I suppose somewhere between these amount would be good - No doubt I'll want some different gloves, computer, roadie shoes etc which will equate to $1,500 anyways. While this thread is NOT about what kind of bike to buy, moreso whether I should or not (positives and negatives), I thought I'd mention my budget so that you can make a more accurate judgment as to what I should do.

tripstobaltimore

Re: Buying a roadie ($1200ish), shoes, pedals etc. ($1,500 total

Postby tripstobaltimore » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:06 pm

Cell Swift - $1100

Shimano R540 Pedals - $55

Shimano R132 Shoes - $190

Sigma 1606L Computer - $50

Add $10 postage from PBK and $40 from cell (if you're not in Sydney) total comes to $1395, so you'll have a bit of change.

maxwolfie1

Postby maxwolfie1 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:59 pm

Thanks - Does anyone have any experiences with Cell?

Any other suggestions?

grosry

Postby grosry » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:05 pm

maxwolfie1 wrote:Thanks - Does anyone have any experiences with Cell?

Any other suggestions?
If you are going with cell (i do not ride a cell bike) i would just make sure that the bike is the correct size. when buying a bike i think it is also important that you buy a bike that does feel 'nice' ride and suits you. so if your buying from cell thats normaly one problem you may come across, unless you live in sydeney ofcourse!
"Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year but eventually it will subside and something else will take it's place. If I quit however, it will last forever." - Lance Armstrong

Richard.L

Postby Richard.L » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:17 pm

In the low end of bikes under $2000 (asuming its a well known brand eg. Avanti, Giant) with sora group set, they should come with basic pedals anyway?
If your LBS is a Avanti plus dealer and still stock Giants
A pair of specialized BG sports are around $164 (Aparently they are out of season?) and SHOULD get a further 10% off anything for purchasing the bikehttp://www.specialized.com/au/en/bc/SBC ... spid=40324

tripstobaltimore

Postby tripstobaltimore » Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:31 pm

maxwolfie1 wrote:Thanks - Does anyone have any experiences with Cell?

Any other suggestions?

I ride a cell (team) - its great value for money. Nothing flash and after a while you will probably want to upgrade (which you will anyway), but they really do the job for not much money.

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:03 pm

While I’m pretty new at this caper, it is my honest opinion that buying a bike with the best possible frame you can afford is the right way to go, as everything else can be upgraded.

If you do start off with a cheap bike and frame, upgrading makes no sense, and it means purchasing a complete new bike when you realise yours is not quite as good as you would like.

Tom

Danen

Postby Danen » Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:10 pm

Where are you located? I picked up my first return to roadies this morning, EMC2 Etape Elect. Tiagra gearing, comes with look compatible W40 pedals, carbon forks, carbon stays and post $1399 at Hyperdome Bikehub here in Brisbane. I was going to be settling for a Sora equipped bike until I came across this. I know it's over what you were looking at for a bike but it does save a bit of coin as it comes with pedals (although cheapies) and it is a $2000 bike so upgradeitis probably wont set in as quick.

maxwolfie1

Postby maxwolfie1 » Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:17 pm

Cool - I'm in Western Sydney (Parramatta area), but I will drive up to 3 hours to get a good deal (company car & fuel anyways). I'm leaning towards buying a bike new from the shop primarily for proper fitment, but also because I need to buy a number of other apparel-related items (2 x lots of pedals, 2 x lots of shoes, 2 x gloves) plus a computer, etc. Will also help with bargaining for a bit of a "package price".I guess I won't have any issues if I buy new either.

I'm a tall guy (189cm) with a 93cm inseam (right from the "top") - Lots of graphs equate to a 63/64cm frame. Everything on FleaBay seems to be sub 60cm. Maybe I should just go to the LBS.

Danen

Postby Danen » Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:02 pm

I doubted it to start with but seriously, keep an eye on Bikeexchange and dont be scared to call shops interstate, especially if you've already been fitted. I think you're in a bit of luck as most of the bikes I saw on the site (that are an absolute bargain) were either one extreme or the other in size. with the price range I was shopping in I wouldn't even think about anything off Ebay. 5 times I thought I'd found the bike for me at the right price only to see them go up hundreds of dollars in the last hour. worst I saw was a Specialized that went from 600 to 950 in the last 8 minutes. you could buy the bike new for 999 at the time. Ebay is scary once you know what things are worth. you're either going to get a great deal at the top end of the market or robbed blind at the bottom (my end).

Over all my advice would be use the net as a price guide and go to every LBS within a 2 hour drive and find one you're comfortable talking to. I went to about 12 before I found one that I actually wanted to go back to.

Robski

Postby Robski » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:14 am

Hi Max,

Head in to the bike barn and Blackmans at Parra and have a chat to them before going anywhere else. Both stores have staff that know what they are doing, let them know what your budget is and they will go through the options. Also might be worth a drive out to Penrith to Check out lifecycles, i have found them very helpful and they have a massive range.

Good luck

Cheers,

2WheelsGood

Postby 2WheelsGood » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:33 am

I would recommend having a look at some Fuji bikes at Goldcross (they are the only importer) - they recently had a 30% off sale and may be able to still give you a discount. I picked up a Fuji Roubaix Pro (105/Ultegra carbon forks and rear/lifetime frame warranty) for $1250 and love it!

Also cellbikes have good deals on pedal/shoes combos - eg 105 pedals and RO86? shoes for $199!

Have fun :)
2004 Giant OCR Touring
2009 Fuji Roubaix Pro
2009 Merida Crossway Sport TFS 300V

redcorpsjames

Postby redcorpsjames » Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:04 am

Robski wrote:Hi Max,

Head in to the bike barn and Blackmans at Parra and have a chat to them before going anywhere else. Both stores have staff that know what they are doing, let them know what your budget is and they will go through the options. Also might be worth a drive out to Penrith to Check out lifecycles, i have found them very helpful and they have a massive range.

Good luck

Cheers,
+1 for bike barn and blackmans...they are ur best bet :lol:
Merida Scultura 905 2013
cell messenger fixie 2013

tripstobaltimore

Postby tripstobaltimore » Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:01 am

Danen wrote:Where are you located? I picked up my first return to roadies this morning, EMC2 Etape Elect. Tiagra gearing, comes with look compatible W40 pedals, carbon forks, carbon stays and post $1399 at Hyperdome Bikehub here in Brisbane. I was going to be settling for a Sora equipped bike until I came across this. I know it's over what you were looking at for a bike but it does save a bit of coin as it comes with pedals (although cheapies) and it is a $2000 bike so upgradeitis probably wont set in as quick.
That sounds like a pretty sweet deal - I was looking at the etape pro before I got mine, but it was a little too expensive.

thomas_cho

Postby thomas_cho » Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:08 pm

redcorpsjames wrote:
Robski wrote:Hi Max,

Good luck

Cheers,
+1 for bike barn and blackmans...they are ur best bet :lol:
Used to live in Parramatta, and I have a completely different view of these shops (Bike barn and Blackmans).

I'd say educate yourself on what you want, and then talk to these shops, just so you can differentiate the BS of salesmanship from the helpful advice. FWIW one of the shop owners basically told me that if I were to ride a $5,000 bike, I'd fall right over after a few pedal strokes, and compared it with driving a Toyota and a Ferrari (literally). When I stated I didnt believe him, he got all defensive ... only thing I ever bought from that shop was bar tape.

You want proper fitting, do a search for Steve Hogg, but that just means taking up more of your bike budget.

Given your budget, I'd look at Giant. Ask about the 2010 range, news is that they will be cheaper than the 2009 stock due to the improved AUD.

maxwolfie1

Postby maxwolfie1 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:12 am

Ok - I've visited Favourite Cycles, Bike Addiction, Brookvale Bike Factory and Cranks.

* The guy at Favourite was hands down the most helpful, he carried out a full measurement test and we found that the Argon 18 Plutonium(1.7k) was pretty much perfect for me. (57 - 57.5cm). This bike has a longer wheelbase, 105 g/s but only a carbon seatpost. He mentioned that the wheels are also a little heavier/tougher. I'm also looking at the Argon 18 Radon rather closely
we also looked at EMC etape elec series..(though it doesn't have 105)

* BA didn't seem to have too much on offer. Perhaps because its too late for '09 atock and 10 hasn't come in yet.. Recommended either Giant Defy 1/2 or Defy Alliance Comp for 2.1k (I think- might have been Alliance sport)
. Not much else to choose from for my budget.

* Brookvale took an alternative approach and recommended a.) A good frame over a better groupset and b.) A race/shorter wheelbase because I'm young/agile/whatever. He pushed me toward the Giant TCR series. It made sense- but I need more opinions in order to make a choice.... For 95% training use, 5% race use/comp ( bear in mind that I might race more often down the track)- would longer or shorter wheelbase be preferable?

* Cranks (chatswood) didn't have much at all, the guy was on the fence about the shorter/longer wheelbase debate
. Pretty small store

* abc bikes , liverpool - (visited yesterday) - Defy 2 (AT) 1.3k. Not too much else.

I need some input on:

1.) Race or Endurance / I.e. long or short wheelbase. I'll be using the bike predominantly for training during the week, however please don't discount racing as it's a distinct possibility.
2.) Also need some input on the other bikes I've mentioned.

maxwolfie1

Postby maxwolfie1 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:33 pm

I bought the Argon 18 Plutonium (Large - 57cm) for $1,435 from Cycleworld, Burwood. I really couldn't find anything else to match this one, including the budget names like Giant.

Spec list:

Xero Shawla aero-profile rims. (although in the Bike Exchange ad, it says Shimano R500?)
Shimano Ultegra derailleur. (:D)
Shimano 105 brake/shift levers. (:))
FSA Gossamer MegaExo compact crankset (50-34).

I am considering swapping out the Xero rims for some lighter Mavic Aksium Race rims for an additional $350 (RRP $500).... but I might leave these for a few weeks/months though and just see how the standard rims go.

I am also getting some cork bar tape added as apparently it's better on bare hands.

james99

Postby james99 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:59 pm

how have you found this bike?