Giant OCR 1 (2007) alternative

Questions about purchasing bicycles and parts

Giant OCR 1 (2007) alternative

Postby commi » Sun May 27, 2007 10:19 pm

I'm currently riding an Avanti Blade Sport flat bar and thinking of getting an entry level ish roadie...

Was settled on the Giant OCR 1 after some research. My LBS don't have any more my size and same with couple of other shops I tried.

My LBS also stock an Avanti Giro which looks to have much the same components.

Both are going to be just under $1500 in next week's sale...

My other LBS has a few other brands like Felt, Kona, GT, Diamondback, Merida and Shogun...

At that price range would it be fair to say that if given the compenents are nearly the same, its really how I feel about the look or it and how it rides?
commi

by BNA » Sun May 27, 2007 10:36 pm

BNA

Postby Mulger bill » Sun May 27, 2007 10:36 pm

G'Day Commi.

It's all about the ride, if it feels good under your bum, thats the bike for you :D
Test ride as many as you can and wait to feel the love mate, one of them will whisper in your ear :wink:

Good luck and big fun.

Shaun
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby commi » Sun May 27, 2007 10:45 pm

I tried a Its Fuji Professional 3.0 for $1495 (down from $2450)
http://www.fujibikes.com.au/bikes.asp?id=271&subcat=#

Having not been on a roadie it felt funny. I imagine all other roadies I try will still be funny to begin with. So how do I truely know if I'm comfortable on it or not.

Note: I was only allowed to test ride in the shop on a carpeted surface, weaving around the bikes, displays and stands.

Looks cool but has mainly Tiagra components.

The Giro at least has 105 stuff
http://www.freedommachine.com.au/test/i ... t=0&ID=917

Don't know anything about Felts but this looks pretty nice:
http://www.bikes.com.au/p/289517/2007-felt-f85.html
commi

Postby europa » Sun May 27, 2007 10:51 pm

Commi, there is only ONE way to correctly choose your bike - that's to buy the bike you fall in love with. Yes, the componentry, the frame material, the numbers, the colour, the fact that Charlie Hongrum won the Tour Of The Bling Bat on one, all that stuff is important, but only as a part of the final sum. If you don't climb on the bike with your heart thumping and a wee voice screaming at you to buy it before someone else does, keep looking.

To buy quickly because the bike is on special invites disappointment.
To buy a bike for rational reasons while ignoring your heart invites the purchase of another bike in the near future (or worse, giving up on cycling which is what happened to me).

In the end, the only thing that will get miles under the wheels of your bike is the feeling you have when you climb aboard and start pushing those pedals. The genesis of your love for that bike is utterly immaterial - it matters not whether you love that bike because it's the state of the art techonologically or (like me with the Europa) that you've been riding the thing for a sizeable chunk of your life. The only thing that will keep you riding that bike is the pleasure riding it gives you, and a lot of that is purely emotional.

If you are still confused about your purchase, keep looking. You may miss one special, but there is always another one around the corner.

Richard
europa

Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby Mulger bill » Sun May 27, 2007 11:47 pm

Taggart wrote:"Mr Europa Sir, you use your keyboard purtier than a $20 PR hack"

With apologies to Mel Brooks :lol:

They all look damn nice Commi, but as Richard said......

OK, what is it about the Flattie that made you buy her in the first place, and what is it about her that makes you want to buy something else? I assume you are going to enter the realm of multibike tragics?, myself included :oops:

A roll around on carpet won't tell you much, maybe offering a security deposit might help you try the carpark or the street outside.

Keep looking mate, don't rush it, the hunt is all part of the fun.

Shaun
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby commi » Mon May 28, 2007 12:47 am

Goldcross apparently don't allow customers to ride their bikes outside because most are situated at shopping centres and the centres won't allow it or something.

Umm...I got flat bar because of the position and comfort. Had a really cheap MTB and hated it.

Wanted to do a bit of recreational riding on weekends. Flat bar has been fine really. I do about 40km a week commuting and 50km on weekends. But soon will increase distance on weekends...

Also, will participate on around the bay this year.

So I was after a "comfort" roadie such as Giant OCR 1. And from what I've been told the Giro has that set up and is very comfortable.

There's a Felt and a Scott that maybe that same sort of geometry so will try all 3 and see.

If I get a roadie I still plan to use the flat bar for work commute.
commi

Postby stryker84 » Mon May 28, 2007 12:56 am

hehe, looks like we both did the exact same thing commi.

both bought a Blade Sport from The Freedom Machine (which store do you shop at, btw? mine was from the bay st store)... and now hungrily anticipating the 25% off all stock next week... went in yesterday with a friend (who's eagerly anticipating either an OCR-2 or TCR-A2 when the sale starts)... now, if only i had a coupla lazy thousand dollars to play with... sigh... :P
stryker84

Postby commi » Mon May 28, 2007 1:12 am

Mine from Prahran (excellent service always)

Unfortunately they are very low on stock in bikes 07 bikes...

And being of average height means usually they go first.

Still will try the Giro there, and the Felt and Scott at Melb Bicycle Centre around the corner from TFM.
commi

Postby Wanta-bike » Mon May 28, 2007 10:51 pm

hello hello!

well i was kinda in the same situation ur in, commi. before about a few months ago, i ONLY rode me mtb. then i found meself ridin a bit more to work and training along beach rd. thought to meself, its time to get a roadie....

so was lookin around for (what seemed like) ages. looked up bike stores on the net to see whats out there and prices and whatnots. was gonna get a shogun team issue (carbon forks and post, ultegra groupset) for like $1899! then rode a few giants, then an azzurri.... SOLD!

i've had me roadie since last tuesday and i've ridden it to work a few times already and a "decent" ride along beach rd on the weekend. to say that it rides a dream and makes me wanna ride it is an understatement! as many ppl hav already said, u'll know which bike is for you when u ride it.

oh and the fact that goldcross won't let u ride it anywhere except in their store is mony balony! imo, go to a "proper" bike store that will spend time chasing what YOU want, not whatever they have on the shelves. the guys at kathy watt cycling were by far the most helpful-est ppl and got fitted up to me bike properly (which is UBER important) - spent like over an hour doin it! the service after buyin the bike is just as much important as anythin else

i found that giant generally offer good value for money - as they seem to have a HUGE buying power funnily enough.... trek and scott bikes hav that "bling" factor to em, but havin said that, they are very well built. the azzurri brand that i ended up gettin seems quite good for what u pay for and the components - i'd say just about on par with giant. but that shogun still sticks out in me mind....

anywho, good luck with it all, hope i've helped
Wanta-bike

Postby Bnej » Mon May 28, 2007 11:06 pm

Have a look at the Trek Pilot range, they are similar "Comfort Road" type bikes to the OCR. They also have extra brake levers on the flats of the bars so you can brake from the tops if you're sitting up.
Bnej

Postby Halfanewb » Tue May 29, 2007 6:51 am

hi commi :)
one of the regular riding mates recently bought a Avanti carbonio 1 decked out with 105 gear. He bought it at riders, breakfast creek for $2k, a very nice bike!. The shogun team issue is also good value at the 2k mark, mine was on special at $1700.

Your right about any roadie feeling a bit strange at first, i had the same thing when i upgraded from my flatbar, so many things to get used to, gear levers , clipless pedals, riding postion etc the first week i had her i thought i had made the wrong decision.

Most roadies are sold in full racing configuration and at first i found the distance to the handlebars a bit too much of a stretch and i altered the neck, so that when i place my elbow against the front of the seat it is between 1 and 3 cm further than my middle finger and the drop from seat height to handlebar hight is reduced. For me this is a much more comfortable riding position though not so aerodynamic, but then i am not racing so thats not such a big issue.

Shaun is right bro, buy the one you fall in love with, ultimately its all about the passion :)
Halfanewb

Postby commi » Tue May 29, 2007 9:23 am

Thanks everyone for the advice. I might leave work a little earlier today and jump on some bikes...
commi

Postby uMP2k » Tue May 29, 2007 9:34 am

commi wrote:I tried a Its Fuji Professional 3.0 for $1495 (down from $2450)
http://www.fujibikes.com.au/bikes.asp?id=271&subcat=#

Looks cool but has mainly Tiagra components.

The Giro at least has 105 stuff

I cannot imagine that any bike, full carbon or otherwise, at the $2.5k price point comes with mainly Tiagra components - i think there may have been a little exaggeration on the stores part there....

Apart from that all I can say is what everybody else has said - ride them and see what you like!
uMP2k

Postby commi » Tue May 29, 2007 7:34 pm

Well I've decided to scrap Goldcross off my list of retailers purely on the basis that they won't allow customers to test ride their bikes outside.
commi

Postby Mulger bill » Tue May 29, 2007 11:47 pm

Totally fair call Commi, their loss.

Shaun
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Marv » Wed May 30, 2007 12:44 am

Had my Azzurri Primo for a couple months now and really love it.
Pity the weather isn't more favourable but we need water more than I need the exercise :)
Under $2000 with Columbus tubing, Carbon forks, Carbon seat stays and a full 10 Speed Ultegra groupset. 9kg fully kitted.
Sweet.
Give one a try if you get the chance.
There is also the Uno that is the 105 version. Cheaper still.
Marv

Postby commi » Wed May 30, 2007 2:21 pm

i went to a shop that had only 1 primo left for $1799 but it was large and I'm medium...

I'm trying the Uno tomorrow.
commi

Postby Marv » Wed May 30, 2007 11:12 pm

Hey commi.

I thought I was a medium too (5'10")
But after a week on the 48.5cm frame my body was telling me it was too small.
The minimal bar to seat height I could manage was 12cm.
Too extreme for this rider.
I had the seat where it needed to be (on the extension limit of the pole)and I had the stem at the top of the steerer tube (the stem was even angled up!)
I changed to a large (51.5cm) and I've got it to fit like a glove with all settings about midrange.
Marv

Postby commi » Thu May 31, 2007 9:37 am

that's interesting....

I'm 175cm (that's 5 10, right?)...

Maybe I'll ask the guy.
commi

Return to Buying a bike / parts