n ew bke pump

lgbran

n ew bke pump

Postby lgbran » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:51 pm

silca floor pump has died after 10 years of use.. somethings gone in the base.. good pump but want something else any suggestions?

jacks1071

Re: n ew bke pump

Postby jacks1071 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:17 pm

lgbran wrote:silca floor pump has died after 10 years of use.. somethings gone in the base.. good pump but want something else any suggestions?
If you want one that'll last another 10 years, buy another Silca one. Most of the fancy modern day ones are rubbish. You can also get parts for the Silca ones so there is a chance that a dealer could repair it for you.
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

petal665

Postby petal665 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:12 pm

I've had my Silca track pump for about 15 years. Still going strong. During this time I've had a few other pumps, some very cheap and others reasonably expensive. They all die. The only reason I've ever bought other pumps is because I don't like the head on the Silca, I've ripped many valve stems out of tubes. I always end up using the Silca again for a year or 2.

Last month I bough the top of the line Lezyne CNC Floor Pump. I must say, it is actually feels like it is built better than the Silca. I'm hoping it works just as well.

badge

Postby badge » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:03 pm

Are you wanting another floor pump or hand pump? Maybe the Lezyne Carbon Drive High Volume Hand Pump or the Lezyne Classic Floor Drive Pump which is cheaper - BikeBuy.info have them listed for reasonble prices. I think they are for USA customers but might give you an idea on a few good pumps and you should be able to find and Australian shop offering them, maybe Torpedo7 etc.

grosry

Postby grosry » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:14 am

floor pump
i have just got a cheap one from goldcross and when that breaks in years to come i will buy another cheap one! :wink:
"Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year but eventually it will subside and something else will take it's place. If I quit however, it will last forever." - Lance Armstrong

lgbran

Re: new bke pump

Postby lgbran » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:15 am

Fixed.. goes to show how much tech expertese I don't have.. Kept pumping and noticed air leaking near the base. The barrel was a tad loose.. Tightened up 2 x bolts in the base and presto one serviceable pump. The rubber seal thingy (near the gauge broke off years ago). So I'll put up with the skinned knuckles etc for the next umpteen years... Servicable pump.. out of curiosity what prices have you paid for the other pumps

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:30 am

CoffsGal

Postby CoffsGal » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:04 pm

I saw replacement leather piston washers for the Silca pumps in the LBS this week...$9.95...

backofthebunch

Postby backofthebunch » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:07 pm

How much do you think i have to spend to get a decent pump?

my tyres are asking for 125psi and what iv got now is a !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! old broken foot pump so i' having no luch.

so any recomendations of good value for money, styles and brands of pump will be appreciated.

sogood

Postby sogood » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:17 pm

backofthebunch wrote:my tyres are asking for 125psi.
Your tyres aren't asking for 125psi. ;)
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

backofthebunch

Postby backofthebunch » Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:35 pm

I guess they aren't asking for anything. Topic closed...

anyone wanna help a brother out?

Jean

Postby Jean » Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:28 pm

I paid about $45-$50 for a Bontranger floor pump a few years back (in an LBS, not online) and it's still going strong. It has a 'universal head' so I use it on my roadie, MTB and scooter (motorbike type, not foot powered). I tried it on the car once and it did the job, but too much work involved.

The more expensive ones in the shop (still Bontranger) had alloy barrels and various tweaks, but I don't see the point of an alloy barrel over a steel one in a track pump. What's it gonna do? Make you climb faster? :roll:

m@

Postby m@ » Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:34 pm

Jean wrote:I paid about $45-$50 for a Bontranger floor pump a few years back (in an LBS, not online) and it's still going strong. It has a 'universal head' so I use it on my roadie, MTB and scooter (motorbike type, not foot powered). I tried it on the car once and it did the job, but too much work involved.

The more expensive ones in the shop (still Bontranger) had alloy barrels and various tweaks, but I don't see the point of an alloy barrel over a steel one in a track pump. What's it gonna do? Make you climb faster? :roll:
Similar story here - mine's an alloy Tioga brand from memory, about 45-50 bucks at LBS. Can't say I've ever taken it past about 115psi, but don't see why it wouldn't be capable of going to 125.

If I was buying now - would probably go Silca.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

backofthebunch

Postby backofthebunch » Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:27 pm

thanks guys, i wanna pump rd tyres, so probably wont even go to 125. Is that advisable riding on the rd to avoid puncturs??
I used to ride a bit of BMX and MTB so not sure what is the best on the rd.

at least I know about $50 should get something decent.

CoffsGal

Postby CoffsGal » Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:40 pm

backofthebunch wrote:How much do you think i have to spend to get a decent pump?

so any recomendations of good value for money, styles and brands of pump will be appreciated.
For road bike use, make sure you purchase a floor pump with a narrow barrel. They pump less air on each stroke but allow a higher pressure. Some floor pumps have a wider barrel and they are much harder to use, and I think are more suited to MTB. I have seen a neat Cannondale one that has a switch that allows either lower pressure high volume or high pressure low volume....works very well.

The ones that I have seen that seem to be quality are around $100. Have seen plenty around $50 but wasn't impressed.

I run tubeless tyres and inflate to 100psi...110psi should be ok for most folk in day to day use...racing might warrant a higher pressure.

Emma

petal665

Postby petal665 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:35 pm

I pumped my tubs up to 150psi yesterday. The race was on hotmix so there was no comfort issued. The lezyne mate it there very easily.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:34 pm

backofthebunch wrote:thanks guys, i wanna pump rd tyres, so probably wont even go to 125. Is that advisable riding on the rd to avoid puncturs??
Go by whatever pressure the tyre manufacturer recommends on the sidewall to start with, and then:

http://sheldonbrown.com/tires.html#pressure
Sheldon Brown wrote:Savvy cyclists experiment with different pressures, and often even vary the pressure for different surface conditions.

Optimal pressure for any given tire will depend on the load it is being asked to support. Thus, a heavier rider needs a higher pressure than a lighter rider, for identical tires.

Since most bicycles have substantially more weight on the rear wheel than on the front, the rear tire should almost always be inflated to a higher pressure than the front, typically by about 10%.

Rough surfaces generally call for a reduction in pressure to improve ride comfort and traction, but there is a risk of pinch flats if you go too far.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

backofthebunch

Postby backofthebunch » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:45 am

cheers

Fletcher

Postby Fletcher » Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:31 pm

I have a dodgy Repco Xlnce(I'm not joking, that's what they call it - hip innit) bought from Big W for $20 a few months back. It has a narrow barrel, steel or alloy tube and works surprisingly well. It even looks serviceable but damned if I know if it actually is. I think they priced it incorrectly, because the same one is now about $60 in the same shop. I think it was a bargain.

When I bought my bike the lbs bloke told me unless I spent at least $60 on a pump it would be useless and I would hate the thing, and tried to convince me to pay $180 on some steel thing from Italy.

Azzitappenz, I like my dodgy Repco $20 floor pump. Works a treat.

lgbran

Re: n ew bke pump -went back to silca

Postby lgbran » Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:58 am

Purchased a bontrager floor pump.. after 10 years of faithful service from the silca floor pump.. after a day of farting around using in with the ' user friendly head'. went back and exchanged for another silca.. Reliable and I know I can get an accurate reading and no hasstles to 120 psi.. sure the brass head can be a pain sometimes but it's a very reliable pump.. the other silca will be used for spare parts

Eurotrash

Postby Eurotrash » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:00 pm

Specialized Airtool floor pums have won a couple of tests in German bike magazines I have read.
http://www.specialized.com/au/en/bc/SBC ... temId=9577

CoffsGal

Postby CoffsGal » Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:08 pm

Eurotrash wrote:Specialized Airtool floor pums have won a couple of tests in German bike magazines I have read.
http://www.specialized.com/au/en/bc/SBC ... temId=9577
I have a Specialized Air Tool Pro and it is easily the best I have used...and I have checked out quite a few as I do some part time work at the LBS. Wasn't cheap though...about $160 from memory.

Emma

Eurotrash

Postby Eurotrash » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:15 pm

I have a Specialized Airtool Comp myself.
I bought it because I read 2-3 large magazine tests of floor pumps and they all rated the Specialized pump as the best overall IIRC.

There's different models, Sport, Comp and Pro. Sport is the cheapset and Pro the most expensive. IIRC when I bought the Comp it was much cheaper than the Pro.
I'm not sure what thedifferencies are among the 3 models, anyone know?

CoffsGal

Postby CoffsGal » Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:17 pm

Eurotrash wrote:I have a Specialized Airtool Comp myself.
I bought it because I read 2-3 large magazine tests of floor pumps and they all rated the Specialized pump as the best overall IIRC.

There's different models, Sport, Comp and Pro. Sport is the cheapset and Pro the most expensive. IIRC when I bought the Comp it was much cheaper than the Pro.
I'm not sure what thedifferencies are among the 3 models, anyone know?
Here is a page with the...
Specialized Floor Pumps range

here is the one I have...
Air Tool Pro

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:37 pm

I need a new floor pump and have always been happy with my zefal on bike pump so I was looking at this: Zefal Air 3 Floor Pump http://www.this link is broken/p/cycle/7/Zefal ... 360043668/

But, it seems cheap for a good pump. Anyone have any ideas about them?

EDIT: never mind. It is cheaper in T7 anyway and there is a review:

"I was reasonably happy with this pump until I used someone else's pump. Fitting the pump head to a valve is not the best action, it's just very akward compared to the other pumps I used.
I'm looking to either fit a pump head from a different manufacturer - or just get a totally different pump."

Doesn't sound promising.
<removed by request>