Cell Bikes

Questions about purchasing bicycles and parts

Re: Cell Bikes

Postby dajackal » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:53 am

i ordered on the 16th. given the cost of the bike ($669) i didn't mind so much that they accidentally processed the entire amount. i just wanted to ensure that they did a fit for me when i came in to pick it up, so i politely reminded the salesman that i was expecting to receive a fit as part of the sale, otherwise i might aswell have got it delivered and saved myself the 1.5 hour return drive. I wasn't being demanding or irate. I was just saying it was my first road bike so fit and comfort was important to me. He said he would put me on the trainer and have me fitted when I come in.

I went into the shop got given the bike and basically got shown the door.

edit: ordered on 16th
Last edited by dajackal on Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
dajackal
 
Posts: 69
Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:40 pm

by BNA » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:55 am

BNA
 

Re: Cell Bikes

Postby CELL Bikes » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:55 am

dajackal wrote:not too happy with my recent dealings with CELL

i ordered my bike over the phone for pickup.

the guy that took my order said he'd only take $100 deposit and then the rest when i come to pick it up.
i check my online banking later that afternoon and see the full amount deducted.
i call up and the guy apologized for the mistake and i demanded that they make sure they do a proper fit when i come in to pickup the bike.

i come in at the appointed time and they refused to fit me. i asked two different sales guys and they wouldn't budge. they only seemed interested if i bought the pedals and shoes from them.

i'm now getting massive shoulder and neck pain and dread riding it for commuting.

not a pleasant experience given its my first road bike.


Hi dajackal,

Do you remember who you spoke to? While we most certainly do apologise when things happen and are our fault. So apologies for that. However, we do not condone anyone being told flat out, and refused a fitting. We would (and should) offer an alternative, such as "we are currently very busy today, however we'd be more than happy to fit you on this day", or something like that.

Please feel free to send me an email or PM to discuss your experience in greater detail. ( [email protected] ).

Thank you for sharing your feedback on this great forum.
-website manager Mark
What do you think about our Sydney Bike Shop? Let me know! Help us improve!
http://www.cellbikes.com.au/contact-us
User avatar
CELL Bikes
 
Posts: 250
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:41 pm
Location: Warehouse 8, Leichhardt Sydney

Re: Cell Bikes

Postby fbaltona » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:51 pm

I wasn't to happy with my recent dealings with CELL at the Melbourne store.
Called on the Sunday morning to see if my account was still open. It was. Great as online members get the cheap online rates. Turned up to store and found a few things which I wanted. There were a pair of Castelli long fingered gloves that I wanted but didn't have any mediums. Tried the small, but too tight. Same person which I spoke with in the morning said she would have a look out the back. She came back with no luck, but said she could order for me and have in a few days. Awesome. She took down my details and size. Said she would call soon. Told her that I was happy to pick up the following weekend. Gave her a week of waiting. Decided to call her back and see what was happening. Her response was " We don't do special orders, we are not allowed to and we are not ordering any more of those gloves". I said "Then why did you take down my details and tell me otherwise" totally confusing woman. Waste my time. I'll be lucky to go back. I would rather pay a little extra and get better service.
fbaltona
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:31 pm

Re: Cell Bikes

Postby RonK » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:02 pm

dajackal wrote:the guy that took my order said he'd only take $100 deposit and then the rest when i come to pick it up.
i check my online banking later that afternoon and see the full amount deducted.

You must be crazy - I would never, ever, ever trust anyone to make a direct deduction from my bank account.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...
User avatar
RonK
 
Posts: 5302
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:08 pm
Location: Brisbane, Queensland

Re: Cell Bikes

Postby dajackal » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:14 pm

CELL Bikes wrote:Do you remember who you spoke to?

Yup, but I won't name names. I'm just hoping they will take the time to do a fit when I come in for the 1 month service. Also, I'm curious to know if I require a shorter stem, will I be required the pay for a new one?

Reason why I ask is because the demo Swift that I test rode fitted me like a glove. People advised me that fit was most important when buying a bike, so I went beyond my original budget and got the Swift as it fit me the best out of all the road bikes I test rode. But, somehow the Swift I ended up with was completely different to the demo unit.

RonK wrote:You must be crazy - I would never, ever, ever trust anyone to make a direct deduction from my bank account.

It wasn't that bad, it was on my credit card account. But point taken.
dajackal
 
Posts: 69
Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:40 pm

Re: Cell Bikes

Postby CELL Bikes » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:30 pm

dajackal wrote:
CELL Bikes wrote:Do you remember who you spoke to?

Yup, but I won't name names. I'm just hoping they will take the time to do a fit when I come in for the 1 month service. Also, I'm curious to know if I require a shorter stem, will I be required the pay for a new one?

Reason why I ask is because the demo Swift that I test rode fitted me like a glove. People advised me that fit was most important when buying a bike, so I went beyond my original budget and got the Swift as it fit me the best out of all the road bikes I test rode. But, somehow the Swift I ended up with was completely different to the demo unit.

RonK wrote:You must be crazy - I would never, ever, ever trust anyone to make a direct deduction from my bank account.

It wasn't that bad, it was on my credit card account. But point taken.


Hi dajackal, which store did you go to, the Stanmore store in Sydney, or the Fitzroy North store in Melbourne?

Please send me your details in a PM or email and I will arrange a time to have you fitted to your satisfaction.
-website mgr Mark
What do you think about our Sydney Bike Shop? Let me know! Help us improve!
http://www.cellbikes.com.au/contact-us
User avatar
CELL Bikes
 
Posts: 250
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:41 pm
Location: Warehouse 8, Leichhardt Sydney

Re: Cell Bikes

Postby TMjpn » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:27 pm

Bought a number of things off Cell, numerous bits and bobs in store when I got started (lights and tubes, clothes etc.) and 3 wheelsets online.

My latest purchase was latest model Fulcrum 7's for my commuter: $150 shipped (48 hour special). Best price anywhere.

So 2 pairs of fulcrum 7's and 1 set of Easton EC-70's later and I have no qualms dealing with them.

Also, the courier tracking was a much liked bonus.

Only problem is the prices are decent, so all the clothing items that would fit me are all gone :(
Image
User avatar
TMjpn
 
Posts: 307
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:19 pm

Re: Cell Bikes

Postby RonK » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:41 pm

dajackal wrote:
RonK wrote:You must be crazy - I would never, ever, ever trust anyone to make a direct deduction from my bank account.

It wasn't that bad, it was on my credit card account. But point taken.

Making an unauthorized charge against your credit card amounts to fraud. If it ever happens again, keep in mind that you can ask your bank to make a chargeback.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...
User avatar
RonK
 
Posts: 5302
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:08 pm
Location: Brisbane, Queensland

Re: Cell Bikes

Postby rtnicho » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:04 am

I've used Cell quite a bit over the years - always good to deal with. Only problem has been their choice of Couriers in Adelaide a while back. Got some Fulrum 5s for $180 delivered a couple of weeks ago - %(AT)#J** unbelieveable price.
rtnicho
 
Posts: 118
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:14 am
Location: Adelaide

Re: Cell Bikes

Postby CELL Bikes » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:55 pm

rtnicho wrote:I've used Cell quite a bit over the years - always good to deal with. Only problem has been their choice of Couriers in Adelaide a while back. Got some Fulrum 5s for $180 delivered a couple of weeks ago - %(AT)#J** unbelieveable price.


Thanks for your feedback rtnicho. Thanks for your patience with our couriers, we are always doing our best to balance speed, cost and reliability while staying competitive. Feedback about Couriers are taken from here and presented to their management, so you guys are really helping us out in helping these guys pull their socks up.

We are also working hard to present an AU Post option as well.
-website mgr Mark
What do you think about our Sydney Bike Shop? Let me know! Help us improve!
http://www.cellbikes.com.au/contact-us
User avatar
CELL Bikes
 
Posts: 250
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:41 pm
Location: Warehouse 8, Leichhardt Sydney

Re: Cell Bikes

Postby jcjordan » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:20 pm

CELL Bikes wrote:
rtnicho wrote:I've used Cell quite a bit over the years - always good to deal with. Only problem has been their choice of Couriers in Adelaide a while back. Got some Fulrum 5s for $180 delivered a couple of weeks ago - %(AT)#J** unbelieveable price.


Thanks for your feedback rtnicho. Thanks for your patience with our couriers, we are always doing our best to balance speed, cost and reliability while staying competitive. Feedback about Couriers are taken from here and presented to their management, so you guys are really helping us out in helping these guys pull their socks up.

We are also working hard to present an AU Post option as well.
-website mgr Mark


I would have thought that AU Post, even express post bags, would be cheaper than a courier.



Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk 4 Beta
James
Veni, Vidi, Vespa -- I Came, I Saw, I Rode Home
jcjordan
 
Posts: 1048
Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:58 pm

Re: Cell Bikes

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:40 pm

You'd be surprised how uncompetitive AP can be on anything bigger than a letter. It's not unusual for a parcel only half the size of a shoebox to be cheaper with a courier than with Australia post.
When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments- Elizabeth West.
User avatar
ldrcycles
 
Posts: 6539
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:19 pm
Location: Kin Kin, Queensland

Re: Cell Bikes

Postby bollo » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:56 pm

cost me $10.55 to return a jersey to cell using Aus post thankfully cell refunded me the postage for the return , cheers cell bikes , my wife uses a courier for her business & yes they are cheaper when you use them regularly not sure about one offs
2013 Cube Lightning HPC SL Race
2012 Merida Scultura Evo 905
User avatar
bollo
 
Posts: 496
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:35 pm
Location: St Clair

Re: Cell Bikes

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:04 pm

I've used a few but mainly smartsend and e-go. I've seen bad reviews of both but never had a problem.
When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments- Elizabeth West.
User avatar
ldrcycles
 
Posts: 6539
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:19 pm
Location: Kin Kin, Queensland

Re: Cell Bikes

Postby jcjordan » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:20 pm

ldrcycles wrote:You'd be surprised how uncompetitive AP can be on anything bigger than a letter. It's not unusual for a parcel only half the size of a shoebox to be cheaper with a courier than with Australia post.

May be so but at least they are reliable.

The first order I did it took the courier 3 days once it hit Canberra to deliver and only a few got grumpy with them.

If Cell want to use a courier the need to go up market with startrack or TNT.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk 4 Beta
James
Veni, Vidi, Vespa -- I Came, I Saw, I Rode Home
jcjordan
 
Posts: 1048
Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:58 pm

Re: Cell Bikes

Postby Adstar » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:21 pm

jcjordan wrote:
ldrcycles wrote:
The first order I did it took the courier 3 days once it hit Canberra to deliver and only a few got grumpy with them.

If Cell want to use a courier the need to go up market with startrack or TNT.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk 4 Beta


Four days in Canberra for me. Had to get it delivered to the other half's workplace. First time she wasn't in as she had been called away. Spoke to couriers and provided a mobile number, told me they had tried to deliver twice more and was no answer. Called couriers again who said there was no record of the mobile number. Claimed to have tried delivery again with no answer.

Eventually I borrowed a car to go to the depot and pick up. All of the instructions, including the mobile number were written on the parcel. They also claimed they had tried to deliver numerous times which were written on the parcel. There were no missed or received calls on the wife's mobile or work phone and no record of courier attendance at her workplace. The depot was a cluster:&:/(AT) so I'm not surprised it was stuffed up.

The previous delivery was great though - same couriers and same delivery instructions!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Adstar
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:38 pm

Re: Cell Bikes

Postby CELL Bikes » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:20 am

Adstar wrote:
jcjordan wrote:
ldrcycles wrote:
The first order I did it took the courier 3 days once it hit Canberra to deliver and only a few got grumpy with them.

If Cell want to use a courier the need to go up market with startrack or TNT.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk 4 Beta


Four days in Canberra for me. Had to get it delivered to the other half's workplace. First time she wasn't in as she had been called away. Spoke to couriers and provided a mobile number, told me they had tried to deliver twice more and was no answer. Called couriers again who said there was no record of the mobile number. Claimed to have tried delivery again with no answer.

Eventually I borrowed a car to go to the depot and pick up. All of the instructions, including the mobile number were written on the parcel. They also claimed they had tried to deliver numerous times which were written on the parcel. There were no missed or received calls on the wife's mobile or work phone and no record of courier attendance at her workplace. The depot was a cluster:&:/(AT) so I'm not surprised it was stuffed up.

The previous delivery was great though - same couriers and same delivery instructions!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD


Hi Adstar,

Thanks for your feedback. We will bring up your experience at our next meeting with management.
Have a good night and thanks for ordering from us.
-website mgr Mark
What do you think about our Sydney Bike Shop? Let me know! Help us improve!
http://www.cellbikes.com.au/contact-us
User avatar
CELL Bikes
 
Posts: 250
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:41 pm
Location: Warehouse 8, Leichhardt Sydney

Re: Cell Bikes

Postby chrisbosh » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:49 pm

Anyone still buy from these guys?
They seem too expensive so I don't even check prices these days from Cell - just go straight to Wiggle or Cycling express.
chrisbosh
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:45 pm

Re: Cell Bikes

Postby lobstermash » Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:25 pm

It depends what you're after. The last couple of orders I made were through Cell and were cheaper than Wiggle or CX.
Passing on your right - me, said just about never...
lobstermash
 
Posts: 920
Joined: Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:51 pm
Location: Canberra

Re: Cell Bikes

Postby MarkG » Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:38 pm

chrisbosh wrote:Anyone still buy from these guys?
They seem too expensive so I don't even check prices these days from Cell - just go straight to Wiggle or Cycling express.


What are you going on about?
Proudly "a hater of academics with helmet cams"
User avatar
MarkG
 
Posts: 2147
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:02 pm
Location: Perth, Australia

Re: Cell Bikes

Postby TMjpn » Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:51 pm

MarkG wrote:
chrisbosh wrote:Anyone still buy from these guys?
They seem too expensive so I don't even check prices these days from Cell - just go straight to Wiggle or Cycling express.


What are you going on about?


Exactly?

I consider myself a pretty shrewd shopper and I have found alot of Cell's prices for basic stuff is better than wiggle - esp when you factor in delivery costs and time. Some stuff is still pricey, but its balanced.

Take for instance the fulcrum 7's I bought within the last month. Wiggle was ~ $176 on sale for a pair - free shipping, but Cell was $150 (on sale from $170) - free shipping. They arrived from cell in 2 days in top shape. My last Wiggle order (not a wiggle fault but anyway;) came with a brand new but bent out of shape handlebar from being thrown around by DHL. I had to return them and got a refund in the end but it was a month wait.

Cycling express, I'm tentative. I'd heard some horror stories and stayed away. My brothers and I bulk ordered some gel's from them and they arrived in good time. Just the Gel's we recieved were well past their used-by date.

That was old CE, anyway...
Image
User avatar
TMjpn
 
Posts: 307
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:19 pm

Re: Cell Bikes

Postby thomashouseman » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:20 pm

chrisbosh wrote:Anyone still buy from these guys?
They seem too expensive so I don't even check prices these days from Cell - just go straight to Wiggle or Cycling express.


It depends what you're after.

Their clothing is pretty cheap and fair quality. Lot of people happy with it judging by the amount of their kit you see on a spring cycle ride in Sydney.

Other stuff not so cheap. Take the Air Zound for example: http://www.cellbikes.com.au/Delta-Air-Zound-Bike-Horn - $60. Easily purchased new on ebay for $30-$40.

Just shop around, I go to cell for about 1/4 of my purchases as they come out cheapest for those items.

T.
thomashouseman
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 1090
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:07 am
Location: Toongabbie NSW

Re: Cell Bikes

Postby CELL Bikes » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:42 pm

thomashouseman wrote:
chrisbosh wrote:Anyone still buy from these guys?
They seem too expensive so I don't even check prices these days from Cell - just go straight to Wiggle or Cycling express.


Other stuff not so cheap. Take the Air Zound for example: http://www.cellbikes.com.au/Delta-Air-Zound-Bike-Horn - $60. Easily purchased new on ebay for $30-$40.

Just shop around, I go to cell for about 1/4 of my purchases as they come out cheapest for those items.

T.


Hi thomashouseman (and everyone), thanks for the feedback. Whenever we have a price that may be much more expensive than Wiggle or CE or whoever, it may be due to the supplier wanting their markup, while not being concerned that other people are going to eBay (I do myself), and O/S.

If anyone sees an online Aussie-based price, I will do my best to meet, match or beat it!
-website mgr Mark
What do you think about our Sydney Bike Shop? Let me know! Help us improve!
http://www.cellbikes.com.au/contact-us
User avatar
CELL Bikes
 
Posts: 250
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:41 pm
Location: Warehouse 8, Leichhardt Sydney

Re: Cell Bikes

Postby Xplora » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:28 am

I couldn't do your job, Mark - it would be like shoving your hands into a sausage mincer every day at the keyboard. Every time you become the meat in someone else's sandwich, it's bad news. Failures from the importer, failures from the courier... hard work. I'd love to buy some Campy clothing but I swear to God I can't find a factory website for them!
Xplora
 
Posts: 5922
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:33 pm
Location: TL;DR

Re: Cell Bikes

Postby CELL Bikes » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:00 am

Xplora wrote:I couldn't do your job, Mark - it would be like shoving your hands into a sausage mincer every day at the keyboard. Every time you become the meat in someone else's sandwich, it's bad news. Failures from the importer, failures from the courier... hard work. I'd love to buy some Campy clothing but I swear to God I can't find a factory website for them!


Hi Xplora, thanks for your empathy mate.

I love bikes mate, everything to do with it, good, bad & challenging. It's like fishing....even a bad day of fishing is still better than a great day at a crappy job you hate (I've been there, trust me). If you love what you do, it's not really 'work' at all. And I really love helping people with cycling questions.

Everyone remembers when they were new, and clueless, and was afraid to ask anyone a question for fear of looking 'stupid', this job gives me a chance to help people the best I can, while sorting people out, who may have had a less than ordinary experience for whatever reason.

Regarding the Campy clothing...their site only shows wheels, groupsets, etc...but Wiggle, CRC, etc sell Campy clothing as well, so you can rest assured we aren't doing some dodgy 'unofficial' stuff. Campy really has a 'unique' way of selling stuff, particularly their clothes!

-website mgr Mark
What do you think about our Sydney Bike Shop? Let me know! Help us improve!
http://www.cellbikes.com.au/contact-us
User avatar
CELL Bikes
 
Posts: 250
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:41 pm
Location: Warehouse 8, Leichhardt Sydney

PreviousNext

Return to Buying a bike / parts

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], grt046, GrumpySmurf



Popular Bike Shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ebay Ebay AU

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter

> FREE BNA Stickers
> BNA Cycling Kit