Cell Bikes

CELL Bikes

Re: Cell Bikes

Postby CELL Bikes » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:41 pm

Has been revised to the correct RRP of $17

http://www.mrcyclingworld.com.au/campag ... basic.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CAMPAGNOLO-COOL ... 6fcebd1cd1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Special thanks to Mr. Cycling World!
-website mgr Mark
What do you think about our Sydney Bike Shop? Let me know! Help us improve!
http://www.this link is broken/contact-us

dajackal

Postby dajackal » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:05 pm

sorry, noob question here, but is there anything specific about cycling socks that makes them different to ordinary socks?

thomashouseman

Postby thomashouseman » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:18 pm

dajackal wrote:sorry, noob question here, but is there anything specific about cycling socks that makes them different to ordinary socks?
I've found them to generally be "airier" and thinner and more breathable than normal socks.

greatapoc

Postby greatapoc » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:41 am

I buy stuff pretty often from Cell and find you guys to be great but I've started ignoring any emails I receive because they just seem like spam. I'm probably missing genuine deals as a result.

The latest one is the most recent 48 hour sale with UP TO 80% OFF in great big letters over a stack of Gu and when you click the link the only thing 80% was some rubbish little light for $2 and everything else is at a low discount which seems to be your standard price anyway. Everything on your site has some% off to make it look like a deal but that's the price it always is.

Could the website possibly just not show sizes that aren't in stock?

CELL Bikes

Postby CELL Bikes » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:39 am

Hi greatapoc,

Our newsletters are a mix of Specials that are especially for the newsletter and introducing popular products that are usually the lowest of many credible Australian-based online bike shops.

Our website system does allow us to remove items that are not in stock if they do not require a size or colour (such as lights, computers, etc), but if an item needs a colour and/or size, the system will show the out of stock choices.

We plan on fixing this, but doing a Wiggle/CyclingExpress style choice of showing all the size/colour options without needing to use a drop-down menu, that way, you will be instantly able to see what is/isn't available.

Thanks for looking at our newsletters in the past. We are working on segmenting the newsletter so people can choose frequency and the type of newsletter they want (i.e. road, mtb, city, commuting, etc based).

-website mgr Mark

Diamond1

Postby Diamond1 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:56 am

Just a thing to be wary of guys:

First time purchasing a bicycle and used Cell bikes online. To size myself I got out the tape measure and measured myself using their sizing chart in the FAQ on their website. Low and behold, when the bike arrives and I assemble it, it is too big for me. Now I accept this is my own fault and I won't buy online from them again, I'll go into a (different) retailer, although just something to keep in mind. Either their sizing chart is not as accurate as their website lists it to be, or the bicycle I purchased did not follow it.

Diamond1

Postby Diamond1 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:14 am

Now I'm not sure about my previous post. I found this video: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xh0vs6 ... ideo_sport" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; which shows the bicycle being taller than the woman riding it, this is the problem I have. I couldn't work out how to stand on it without falling over. I will give that method a go.

CELL Bikes

Postby CELL Bikes » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:33 am

Diamond1 wrote:Just a thing to be wary of guys:

First time purchasing a bicycle and used Cell bikes online. To size myself I got out the tape measure and measured myself using their sizing chart in the FAQ on their website. Low and behold, when the bike arrives and I assemble it, it is too big for me. Now I accept this is my own fault and I won't buy online from them again, I'll go into a (different) retailer, although just something to keep in mind. Either their sizing chart is not as accurate as their website lists it to be, or the bicycle I purchased did not follow it.
Hi Diamond1,

What bike did you buy online and how tall are you, and what is your inseam.

That guide in the FAQ is a 'rough' guide to give you an idea.

Most customers contact us or give us a call, as bike sizing are like Women's Jeans...(a size 6 is not always a size 6).

Our salesmen have the experience to know what bike model with suit customers particular sizes and measurements.

Thanks for the feedback. We need to get a bike specific sizing chart!!!!

-website mgr Mark

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:37 am

There's something else missing from that sizing chart as well... Flat bar road bikes seem to be getting more popular and the chart gives no indication of correct sizing for these (from what I've seen, it's about halfway between the road bike and mtb recommendation).

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:40 am

Diamond1 wrote:Now I'm not sure about my previous post. I found this video: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xh0vs6 ... ideo_sport" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; which shows the bicycle being taller than the woman riding it, this is the problem I have. I couldn't work out how to stand on it without falling over. I will give that method a go.
Yeah, it is a learning curve. You aren't really meant to be able to comfortably touch the ground when sitting on the seat as the distance that is meant to be optimised for maximum efficiency etc. is the one between your pedals and your seat, not the ground and your seat (although I'm sure someone with better knowledge could explain this better than I can as I am soooo not an expert or even a sort-of-xpert so I've probably said something completely wrong).

Maybe a proper bike fit will help reassure you/steer you in the right direction if you're able to get one?

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:08 pm

It's a shame u don't do free postage as your in the ballpark with wiggle on most things.... The postage kills u though...

CELL Bikes

Postby CELL Bikes » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:02 am

Dr_Mutley wrote:It's a shame u don't do free postage as your in the ballpark with wiggle on most things.... The postage kills u though...
Hi Dr_Mutley, mate, we do it when we can, but if we do completely free postage, along with trying to be competitive with Wiggle (and others), it really makes it hard to pay everyone, and provide the level of service you guys deserve.

Wiggle has $300million+ backing it up, along with a board, investors, etc. Believe me, if we had even 1/10th of those resources, you guys would enjoy free shipping across the board and more!

I can only thank you for considering us for any purchases you need, and for those who have ordered from us, thank you, and we really appreciate it.
-website mgr Mark

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:57 pm

Hi Cell Bikes, I'm after a Bottom Bracket (BB) for a steel Fuji track bike that I use as a fixie commuter. The current bottom bracket is out of my Raceline track bike (replaced with a Miche) but isn't a sealed unit so eventually succumbed to the weather. While its square taper, I don't know what its size is.

I'm dropping by your shop tomorrow as I need some carbon brake pads and will bring the fixie with me. Am I correct in saying that they will know which BB will suit, just by looking at the bike, or do I need to take the cranks off and measure?
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

CELL Bikes

Postby CELL Bikes » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:12 pm

Hi mikesbytes,

The more information that you can provide, the better. Unless it's for a CELL Bike, it's always best to know the measurements.

Thanks for your question mate.
-website mgr Mark

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:24 pm

mikesbytes wrote:Hi Cell Bikes, I'm after a Bottom Bracket (BB) for a steel Fuji track bike that I use as a fixie commuter. The current bottom bracket is out of my Raceline track bike (replaced with a Miche) but isn't a sealed unit so eventually succumbed to the weather. While its square taper, I don't know what its size is.

I'm dropping by your shop tomorrow as I need some carbon brake pads and will bring the fixie with me. Am I correct in saying that they will know which BB will suit, just by looking at the bike, or do I need to take the cranks off and measure?
I'm not from Cell, but for replacing an old style BB with a new one, find out what thread it takes (68mm is the most common) and the length from tip to tip of the old bottom bracket. Sizing conventions on BBs are usually thread and length in mm after each other, for example 68mm * 117mm. The length of the BB is important to ensure your angles from the chain rings to the cassette stay the same.

fil_farina

Postby fil_farina » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:26 am

After researching and studying all things bikes for the last couple of months, plus talking to my LBS, I have decided to purchase my first entry level bike from the guys at Cell.

Living in regional SA makes it difficult to get all the right advice at times, but thank goodness for forums such as this, which offer so much quality info and advice.

Having a very limited budget for my first bike, hopefully Cell is the right choice.
I have been impressed by the bang for buck specs and components on their bikes, which will hopefully give me a good grounding in bikes and the sport of cycling.

I'll be looking to order via online come Monday Sept 2nd and will keep everyone updated as I travel along!

Cheers

Fil

CELL Bikes

Postby CELL Bikes » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:39 am

Hi fil_farina,

Before you order, would you like to speak to anyone from CELL to maybe get your thoughts, and maybe we can offer some more advice.

I'd love to talk to you, so I can see what you'd like to order, to make sure if there is anything else we can offer, or at least to make you aware of something only we will know.

Please feel free to contact me (mark@this link is broken).

-website mgr Mark

fil_farina

Postby fil_farina » Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:54 pm

Email sent!!

Cheers

Fil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Robthommo

Postby Robthommo » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:37 pm

Hi all

Have purchased from Cell online and cannot be more than satisfied with the service

However on Sunday I fronted up. To the Fitzroy North store a couple of minutes after closing to purchase my own Father's Day present I knocked on the door and the staff let me in. 5 minutes later I left the store with my fulcrum racing 3 wheels at the Internet price of $490

How many other times do you turn upto a store at closing time and be turned away?

Even swmbo commented on the prices in store

A sincere thanks to the 2 staff who were on closing on Sunday

Cheers

rob T

thomashouseman

Postby thomashouseman » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:03 am

I have two friends that wish to me to take them bike shopping (as they feel I'm somewhat knowledgeable in the subject). When is the best time on a weekend to pop in to the Sydney store and have time to speak to the staff / ensure we're purchasing the right sized bike etc?

p.s. Do you do commission? :P

CELL Bikes

Postby CELL Bikes » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:25 pm

Hi thomashouseman,

Hope you got your online order from us, let me know how that went. The best time may be when the shop opens. As it gets to lunch time, you have sales rotating to go to lunch, with there being less staff at times. The afternoon is usually the busiest, so lengthy 1-on-1 personal service may be a bit optimistic.

Of course the best times are during the week, but as most people work, and have other obligations, that may be difficult.

Thanks for the mention! If you keep bringing mates and they keep buying bikes...we can work something out mate... :mrgreen:

-website mgr Mark

CELL Bikes

Postby CELL Bikes » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:41 pm

Robthommo wrote:A sincere thanks to the 2 staff who were on closing on Sunday

Cheers

rob T
Hi Robthommo,

Thanks for the kind words. The 2 staff that served you were Natalia and Matthew. We have a great team of energetic and helpful people over at our CELL Melbourne, Fitzroy North location!

One of our staff used to race in Europe and was Team Sky's mechanic (and has wrenched for Mark Cavendish).

-website mgr Mark

thomashouseman

Postby thomashouseman » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:48 pm

Yes, it arrived, no problems once it was actually dispatched. Arrived the next day. Thanks for chasing it.
Opening time is best, got it. Thanks.

tekapo

Postby tekapo » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:35 pm

CELL Bikes wrote:
Dr_Mutley wrote:It's a shame u don't do free postage as your in the ballpark with wiggle on most things.... The postage kills u though...
Hi Dr_Mutley, mate, we do it when we can, but if we do completely free postage, along with trying to be competitive with Wiggle (and others), it really makes it hard to pay everyone, and provide the level of service you guys deserve.
How about just free pick up in store like Reid? Doesn't have to be immediate or next day pickup, a couple of days will be good enough.

CELL Bikes

Postby CELL Bikes » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:44 pm

tekapo wrote:How about just free pick up in store like Reid? Doesn't have to be immediate or next day pickup, a couple of days will be good enough.
Hi tekapo, we have free pick-up for online purchases at our Sydney, Stanmore location:

http://site.this link is broken/help-centre-article?id=65

Convenient Pick-Up from Our Retail Store

You are always welcome to pick up from our Sydney based Stanmore retail location: Orders placed online are available for pickup the next business day. Just contact us (02 8373-5238) to arrange pick-up time. Too Easy!.

Pick up times: Monday to Friday 9am-4pm

Please note: If you place an order on 11am Friday, and arrange for pick-up, it will be available for pick-up at the shop Monday after 1pm if arranged beforehand.

Please proceed through checkout as usual. Make a note under the "special instructions" field that you'd like to pick the order up from our Stanmore store. Don't worry if you're charged shipping, as this will be removed when we pack your order. Your credit card statement will be updated in 1-2 days.

Cheers, website mgr Mark