Karen.
cludence

by BNA » Sat Jun 09, 2007 5:20 pm

BNA

Postby europa » Sat Jun 09, 2007 5:20 pm

cludence wrote:Took you long enough!

Looks good.

Karen.

Thanks. She's not finished yet. Mechanically she'd better be (though I might do some more with the brakes), but I haven't done the frame clean up and touch up yet - it's going to be fun finding touchup paint to match that green, then there's the rust in the spray on chrome paint along the rear fork :? I'll do that once she's got some miles on her. While I'm at it, I'll tear her down and do all the bearings as well. :D

Richard
europa

Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby cludence » Sat Jun 09, 2007 5:22 pm

Then when you have finished, I'll send a few of mine over for you to fix.

:D

Karen.
cludence

Postby europa » Sat Jun 09, 2007 5:24 pm

cludence wrote:Then when you have finished, I'll send a few of mine over for you to fix.

:D

Karen.

Actually, that's not such a bad idea - stops me spending money on bikes for me :roll:

Richard
europa

Postby cludence » Sat Jun 09, 2007 5:27 pm

Well, a friend of mine is an interstate driver. Maybe I should send over ten to get you started.

Karen.
cludence

Postby europa » Sat Jun 09, 2007 5:29 pm

**runs and hides** :D
tempting offer though

Richard
europa

Postby cludence » Sat Jun 09, 2007 5:32 pm

Well there is more than that here but thought ten would have kept you busy for a while. LOL!

You could have build a huge tandem.
cludence

Postby MichaelB » Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:27 am

Looks schmick there Richard :shock:

I'll have to find out some more data on where you got the wheels from.

As nice as the Bontrager Race rims for $350 sounds, it will be interesting to see what I can get custom made for the same price.

We'll have to catch up soon so that you can get the computer and I can see you on the beast !!

Cheers

Michael B
MichaelB

Postby europa » Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:55 pm

Ye Olde Green Weapon and I did our triangle down the Linear Park, across to Glenelg and back up the old Railway Reserve today. First decent ride with the Europa in her new guise.

It all went very well :D

The new wheels rolled well and felt quite lively - the whole bike has a nice, lively feel to her now. She's a lot more nimble too. I haven't weighed the new wheels (or the old ones either) but they aren't lightweights (not at the price I paid :roll:), but they are obviously lighter. She's gone from being a tourer to a sports bike :twisted: Direction changes are quick and positive. She sticks to the road well. The tyres, despite being only 28mm were quite comfy. No knee or hand problems so the fit is right.

Average speed went up 2.5 km/hr and I reckon that is all wheels - I wasn't working at all hard today (ave hr of only 132 :shock:) and top speed was limited by me running out of revs. Whereas last week, the gearing felt comfortable, this week, I felt undergeared (I know it's a smaller wheel but it doesn't make that much difference to the overall gear ratios - yes, I worked them out). The ave speed would have jumped a lot more if I'd ridden the adjacent roads rather than the bike tracks as there would have have been less slowing and starting. Maybe I'll have to join MichaelB on one of his rides and have a shot at the 30km/hr average :D

All in all, the new wheels have made a large, positive difference to the way the bike rides. Whew, so it wasn't just about fashion :roll:

Richard
europa

Previous

Return to Buying a bike / parts