Nalini Bibknicks quality?

senator52

Nalini Bibknicks quality?

Postby senator52 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:14 am

Just looking for a pair of bib knicks as entry into the lycra market, did a forum search and there were a few Nalini references, so i know someone has an opinion out there :lol: just wondering about the quality? A pair of Nalini 6 Panel Bib Shorts Black at Probikekit for around AU$40. A pretty cheap entry point im thinking. I know they will not be Assos but at $40 will it increase my comfort, enough to make the purchase worthwhile or should i look at a more expensive pair elsewhere?

Oh and as a side note, ive heard wearing a team jersey isnt cool as a cyclist unless you actually deserve to wear it coz your in the team. Coming from a basketball background there is nothing better than flaunting a jersey. Don't want a target placed on my back though, coz my legs sure wont deliver! :oops:

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Re: Nalini Bibknicks quality?

Postby europa » Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:03 am

senator52 wrote:Oh and as a side note, ive heard wearing a team jersey isnt cool as a cyclist unless you actually deserve to wear it coz your in the team. Coming from a basketball background there is nothing better than flaunting a jersey. Don't want a target placed on my back though, coz my legs sure wont deliver! :oops:
Forget that sort of fashion bulldust. If you want to wear a team jersey, do so, even if you are wearing it over cargo pants while riding your Kmart special :shock: Seriously, there is so much crap spread about image on the internet. Hell, I can remember my first foray into a fixie forum, proudly displayed a pic of the Europa's first conversion, and all people could talk about was the reflector on the wheel. I've seen blokes condemned in roadie forums for riding with an overly large chain disc on the rear wheel, crys of anguish from some bloke who couldn't get the right coloured bar tape (serious cries). There is a large segment of the cycling population that is only interested in fashion, and they cross all segments though the fixie crowd seem to be overly infected with the bug dammit.

It is a human being's inalienable right to make a complete and utter prat of himself ... and that includes fashion.

So wear your team jersey with pride (and no, it doesn't make you a prat).

Richard

LuckyPierre

Postby LuckyPierre » Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:47 am

But, Richard, the question was " ... will it (Nalini 6-panel bib knicks) increase my comfort, enough to make the purchase worthwhile or should i look at a more expensive pair elsewhere?" :wink:
Personally, I don't think so. The chamois makes the biggest difference and the Nalini 6-panel knicks have a pretty basic one. At least my pair do / did. I don't wear them any more - funny shape, not much padding. I think that the best value for money bibknicks are the Uno Supremo Ghia 8-panel knicks. Nearly twice the price, but very comfortable. :)
One day I am going to try the value proposition of 'expensive' bibknicks, but it will have to wait until a few other things get done first.

sogood

Postby sogood » Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:59 am

europa wrote:Forget that sort of fashion bulldust...
Some people also say that riding a fixie is fashionable and trendy. And if you care to post private photos on open forums, then be open to people's views. Perhaps people just didn't find what you considered interesting to be interesting

Ride what you ride and be comfortable with what you choose. If not comfortable, then don't do it.

I have read major comparative reviews of all major knicks on other forums and Nalini seemed to receive decent comments. A Google search should find them. Or you can always go to RoadBikeReview,

http://www.roadbikereview.com/cat/cloth ... 55crx.aspx

At the end of the day, it's your bum that'll make the final call.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

sogood

Postby sogood » Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:12 am

LuckyPierre wrote:The chamois makes the biggest difference...
I agree with this statement. One can really feel the difference b/n chamois and how the stitching is done. Poor stitching will just continue to irritate your skin.

europa

Postby europa » Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:01 pm

sogood wrote:
europa wrote:Forget that sort of fashion bulldust...
Some people also say that riding a fixie is fashionable and trendy.
Go to a lot of the fixie forums and I'd agree with them - man, the fuss that goes on there is amazing and my old girl? Didn't even rate a good comment, it was all negative about the way she looked. Didn't matter that she worked. Funnily enough, I don't go to those forums now.

In fact, you haven't contradicted anything I said.

Fashion is okay, it's fun and adds a bit to the sport, but when it becomes a determinant or a weapon, and the OP picked right up on that in the part of his post that I quoted, it's no longer a positive force.

Richard

sogood

Postby sogood » Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:09 pm

europa wrote:...Funnily enough, I don't go to those forums now...
Yes, most people pick the forum they fit. Or they evolve to fit.

europa

Postby europa » Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:15 pm

sogood wrote:
europa wrote:...Funnily enough, I don't go to those forums now...
Yes, most people pick the forum they fit. Or they evolve to fit.
The evolving bit is a nice touch - I tend to call it 'pulling my head in'.

Richard

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:25 pm

Its personal choice, so no amounts of reviews and opinions is going to grantee that you get the best result.

If cost is a major driver, the Cell branded non-bib knicks at $19 is the best value for money, very comfortable at a bargain price.

If outright comfort is the major driver, then you can go from something like an assos.
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

europa

Postby europa » Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:29 pm

I've got Netti Basic ShyShorts which have their basic padding and they are very comfortable. I've also got their Superundernix which have their top line padding and find there is no difference in comfort - maybe I've just got a leather rear. Like Mike says, it's a case of try them and see. At least at that price, you won't go too far wrong.

Richard

wndrdr1111

Postby wndrdr1111 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:52 pm

I can't comment on Netti but personally I use Jagged bib shorts and found them very comfy. They are around $150 but worth the money (I did find a website that had them for around $100 but they didn't have them in my size. Will try to find the link and post it).

I also have a pair of Polaris bib shorts from PBK and they are not nearly as comfy as my Jagged ones.

Cheers,
Tom

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:29 pm

europa wrote:I've got Netti Basic ShyShorts which have their basic padding and they are very comfortable. I've also got their Superundernix which have their top line padding and find there is no difference in comfort - maybe I've just got a leather rear. Like Mike says, it's a case of try them and see. At least at that price, you won't go too far wrong.
I find a big difference between the shy shorts and the better HAP pad in the Twilight Nix. Not immediately, but after 30-40km there is a notable difference in how you feel with one vs the other. Twilight Nix (same as Pronix but with reflective panels) I have ridden 75+ km in 3 times now, and they were pretty good - get a bit sore from road shocks, but never feel damp or chafed.

Bib knicks are supposed to be better because they don't squeeze your waist. I have also heard they are a pain in the neck if you need to go to the loo mid ride - it's a comfort/convenience trade off.

If you're just getting your first lycra shorts, I'd try some basic Netti Nix first. Pronix/Twilight Nix are good for $80 or so. Remember you're only going to buy them once but you'll wear them a lot of times. If you're riding < 30km at a time, you can probably save some money on cheaper shorts with a less fancy pad.

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:08 pm

I have some Nalini knicks (the girls ones) and they are really comfy. I wish I could have paid $40 for them!! They have a wider leg than others I have tried - I have big thighs and stuff like Jaggard just doesn't fit.

Nalini is a good brand - worn by the pros too though maybe not that model. I can definitely recommend the brand though.

I can't tell you not to worry about fashion - everything on my bike and kit matches except my shoes and I'm still not over that :roll: Seriously though, I know people who look good in team shirts (and ride slow) and I have seen others that look dreadful in team or other shirts. They are obviously comfy though and that's all that matters.

Me? I considered buying a Jelly Belly shirt once...but then I realised it was already obvious and I didn't have to put a label on it :lol:

Moo...

sogood

Postby sogood » Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:59 pm

moosterbounce wrote:Me? I considered buying a Jelly Belly shirt once...
Yep, I think that's one of the coolest kits around. :D

europa

Postby europa » Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:07 pm

sogood wrote:
moosterbounce wrote:Me? I considered buying a Jelly Belly shirt once...
Yep, I think that's one of the coolest kits around. :D
Don't know that one. Got a link to a picture?

Richard

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:19 pm

Sorry Senator, can't help with the nix question. :roll:

You'd look odd wearing a team shirt on a non team bike, but Say What, If it's what makes you feel right, wear it with pride :wink:

After reading about Primal wear I have applied for funding from the finance minister for this

Now if Netti would just do a Coolmax flanno... :twisted:

Shaun

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:51 pm

I'M GETTING THIS ASAP!! :P I DON'T CARE ABOUT COST!! :shock: I DON'T EVEN CARE IF IT FITS!! :roll:

And it is black...so it will match my bike :D

I may be shallow...but I'm a huge PF fan (I was just going to say "...huge Floyd fan..." but thought that may spark a testosterone debate!!)

Moo...

senator52

Postby senator52 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:10 pm

Well im certainly a new cyclist, enjoyed it for a while but was slowly fixing up the bike and last week was my first real 'cycling' week. Probably had never ridden more than 15km in one go before and did 140km in a week! :shock: Four 35km runs, three of them on consecutive days, which is why i ask about knicks. The first three rides were fine but at the end of 100km on 3 straight days i was getting a little tender in the groin region. Ill probably be looking at doing 50km rides once or twice a week when i get time, so i'd be willing to shell out more money if its a necessary upgrade. Though i am a student so no assos for me :roll:

Ok now for the embarrassing new bloke to the sport question...if i go down to my LBS to look at knicks, can i try them on? If so where? Its not like ive seen many stores with change room, or do i have to buy on sight alone?

Finally, in reference to the pink floyd jersey, I think you can pick up one of those up for around a hundred? I'm getting one too, though not for me. My uncle is a massive PF fan and since he gave me his old BMW as my first car when he was upgrading, i think i owe him one :wink:

europa

Postby europa » Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:11 pm

moosterbounce wrote:I may be shallow...but I'm a huge PF fan (I was just going to say "...huge Floyd fan..." but thought that may spark a testosterone debate!!)
You heard it here first - MOO's on TESTOSTERONE :shock:

Richard
Last edited by europa on Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gishalo

Postby Gishalo » Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:13 pm

You can have knicks, arm warmers and socks to match this shirt, and many other bands.

europa

Postby europa » Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:17 pm

senator52 wrote:Ok now for the embarrassing new bloke to the sport question...if i go down to my LBS to look at knicks, can i try them on? If so where? Its not like ive seen many stores with change room, or do i have to buy on sight alone?
Nearly every shop has a change 'room/cubicle/coffin/hidden corner/alcove'. Ones I've seen vary from carpet on the floor and full length mirrors through to 'put the mop outside and don't disturb the cockroaches' :shock:

You really should try on bike clothes first. The sizing is all designed around pro climbers and utterly non-standard across even the same manufacturerer. Hmmph - I've got a three jersies from the Netti range, all XXL, all current models, all different sizes - the smallest only goes over me because it's lycra :?

And why are bike clothes so limited in size on the internet shops? I can not buy cycling clobber over the internet ... none of it goes above L when I've been looking.

Richard
putting the 'stretch' into stretch fabrics

bigbuzz73

Postby bigbuzz73 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:36 pm

LuckyPierre wrote:But, Richard, the question was " ... will it (Nalini 6-panel bib knicks) increase my comfort, enough to make the purchase worthwhile or should i look at a more expensive pair elsewhere?" :wink:
Personally, I don't think so. The chamois makes the biggest difference and the Nalini 6-panel knicks have a pretty basic one. At least my pair do / did. I don't wear them any more - funny shape, not much padding. I think that the best value for money bibknicks are the Uno Supremo Ghia 8-panel knicks. Nearly twice the price, but very comfortable. :)
One day I am going to try the value proposition of 'expensive' bibknicks, but it will have to wait until a few other things get done first.
Hi Guys,
With respect to the Uno bibknicks you DEFINATELY need to try them on before you buy. I work at a store where they are sold and some people find the 4 way chamois (the orange coloured chamois) pinch in the groin area, whilst others love them. I have a pair and find they pinch.
I bought a pair of Santini T Gel bibs and they are bloody fantastic.
As for wearing team jerseys.... Mate, last time I checked, we live in a democracy so wear what you like! :D You just need to remember that amongst the road bike fraternity, as compared to the MTB crowd, the amount of !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! (can I use that word here? :oops: ) astounds me!!! For some of them unless you have a full carbon Colnago, Willier or Casati complete with Campag Record groupset and the obligatory $200 Carbon fibre bidon cage, you are just WAY too uncool to be worthy of a nod of the head! (Sarcasm meter in the Red). Until I bought my Bianchi NONE of the Melbourne Beach Rd mob even nodded... now I get the ocassional nod or wave. Go figure!
Regards, Wayne

sogood

Postby sogood » Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:24 pm

europa wrote:Don't know that one. Got a link to a picture?

sogood

Postby sogood » Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:28 pm

bigbuzz73 wrote:...Until I bought my Bianchi NONE of the Melbourne Beach Rd mob even nodded... now I get the ocassional nod or wave. Go figure!
Yes, I ride a Bianchi road bike and I get no responses from MTB riders coming the other direction. Go figure! :shock:

europa

Postby europa » Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:30 pm

Erk. Sorry, not my style.
Actually, what IS my style :? (the PF one was pretty good :D)

Richard