What to buy sub $2K?

overthehill

What to buy sub $2K?

Postby overthehill » Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:15 pm

Hi all

I've been riding a singlee (not a fixie) for a while, and the time is coming for a road bike. I don't want to spend more than $2000 - which means Avanti Giro or Specialized Allez Sport territory. (Although I love the matt black look of the Specialized Allez Double! - AND its cheaper!)

Can anyone suggest a good buy? I'm looking for the best quality I can get at the price - I think if the frame is right I can upgrade parts as I go along. I will use it for 100K+ rides with maybe some hill work.

Thanx
Rapha Continental

Kev365428

Re: What to buy sub $2K?

Postby Kev365428 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:10 pm

Hi,

Moved this to Buying a Bike/Parts where it is more suited.

Kev.

tripstobaltimore

Postby tripstobaltimore » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:25 pm

overthehill wrote:Hi all

I've been riding a singlee (not a fixie) for a while, and the time is coming for a road bike. I don't want to spend more than $2000 - which means Avanti Giro or Specialized Allez Sport territory. (Although I love the matt black look of the Specialized Allez Double! - AND its cheaper!)

Can anyone suggest a good buy? I'm looking for the best quality I can get at the price - I think if the frame is right I can upgrade parts as I go along. I will use it for 100K+ rides with maybe some hill work.

Thanx
If you know your size, www.this link is broken is worth considering. Good bang for buck.

overthehill

Postby overthehill » Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:18 am

Thanx for the heads up tripstobaltimore. Love the look of the Cell triumph - and well specc'ed too, for the price. Now if only they had my size… :(
Rapha Continental

jaykay

Postby jaykay » Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:05 am

If you consider buying off the net, have a look at the bikes at chainreactioncycles.co.uk or this link is broken. a forum member (durx) recently purchsed a bike from wiggle and has nothing but good things to say about the process.
I owned a cell swift and it was a great bike for the value but if i was going to buy off the net again i would buy from a uk site, looks to be even better bang for buck!
"If you get rich off this stuff, just take care of my family. I don't want my kids to have to go to college."
GT Sport

snedden9485

Postby snedden9485 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:09 am

CHeck out the malvern star oppy A4. A mate who is starting out recently got one of these, very good looking bike and cheap. $1250 bucks, FULL tiagra gruppo, mavic aksium wheels and alloy frame. Alot better than a cell or similar.
Chris
2011 Giant TCR Advanced SL
2011 Malvern Star Oppy TT9 Time Trial
2011 Giant Omnium Track
2012 Giant XTC Composite 29

Zynster

Postby Zynster » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:54 am

The Scott CR1 Comp is a very good buy in this price bracket. It's a very nice quality carbon frame with Tiagra groupy and R500 wheels. They are very well regarded and owned by a number of forum members. The frame is the same as it's higher specced brethren, so eminently upgradeable. Do a forum search on Scott CR1 Comp and you'll turn up quite a few threads.
Fausto Coppi Reparto Corse | Giant Farrago Cross

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:59 am

snedden9485 wrote:CHeck out the malvern star oppy A4. A mate who is starting out recently got one of these, very good looking bike and cheap. $1250 bucks, FULL tiagra gruppo, mavic aksium wheels and alloy frame. Alot better than a cell or similar.
+1. I've watched these walk out of my LBS for starters, you'd have to look hard to beat them for value at the moment.

Jim

cjrich

Postby cjrich » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:55 am

I looked at the Avanti Giro and Specialized Allez Sport recently. The Giro is endurance (relaxed) geometry while the Allez is race geometry, so depends on how you want to be seated. I ended up buying an Avanti Cadent 1.0 (bit more expensive than your budget) which has endurance geometry so I can more comfortable on longer rides, I'm not into racing. If I'd had less $ to play with I would have gone the Giro.

CJ
CJ
- 2015 Cervelo R3
- 2013 Cannondale CAAD 8
- 2019 Marin Rift Zone 3

overthehill

Postby overthehill » Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:12 am

Thanks guys. My LBS sells Avanti and Specialized, so I'm going to test ride those in my $ bracket first. It'll be the first time I've sat on a road bike in oh I dunno about 18 years… and THAT was one I built meself.

I'm after relaxed geometry for the long ride, not race geometry. I reckon the Giro is a better finished bike than the Allez - in the details like how the rear dropouts are joined to the stays. And the weld quality around the BB…

AND I like the look of the Scott CR1 Comp - aaahhh, the choices!

Considering I'm a wannerby newbie roady, what does 'flight deck compatible' mean? Heads-up display? :)

Simon
Rapha Continental

dirty_harry

Postby dirty_harry » Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:25 am

flight deck pretty much heads up display :D :D no not quite its a computer made by shimano that links to drivetrain through shifters to give gear and i think u can control the computer through buttons on the shifter hood. not an expert on this but im pretty sure its just the shimano computer system
harry.
White, Orbea Aspin, 2009
Red, Pinarello Sestriere, 2000
Trek 1500 ultegra gear, 2005
given the choice, would you rather share the roads with a woman texting in her four-wheel-drive, a manic truckie, a boy in a grey-import turbo, or a cyclist?

overthehill

Postby overthehill » Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:33 pm

OK, it looks like the Giro for me. LBS (literally at the end of my street) has the 09 model at runout $: 105, carbon forks and seat stays etc etc. I got fitted for one today, it felt good - bars were a tad wide for me so I'll get them swapped out for 42cm bars. I think the LBS will do me a deal with the bike/water bottle/shoes/lycra etc.

So will be about the same $ as buying Scott or Cell over the 'net, + I get fitted to the bike and LBS service and support - which is valuable I reckon, especially for a first time buyer.

I had a look at the 2010 model - seems the only real difference is the paint job…

Test ride Monday! Can't wait!
Rapha Continental

cjrich

Postby cjrich » Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:39 am

overthehill wrote:OK, it looks like the Giro for me. LBS (literally at the end of my street) has the 09 model at runout $: 105, carbon forks and seat stays etc etc. I got fitted for one today, it felt good - bars were a tad wide for me so I'll get them swapped out for 42cm bars. I think the LBS will do me a deal with the bike/water bottle/shoes/lycra etc.

So will be about the same $ as buying Scott or Cell over the 'net, + I get fitted to the bike and LBS service and support - which is valuable I reckon, especially for a first time buyer.

I had a look at the 2010 model - seems the only real difference is the paint job…

Nice one. I'm sure you'll like it. Keep us posted.
CJ
- 2015 Cervelo R3
- 2013 Cannondale CAAD 8
- 2019 Marin Rift Zone 3

tripstobaltimore

Postby tripstobaltimore » Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:23 am

overthehill wrote:OK, it looks like the Giro for me. LBS (literally at the end of my street) has the 09 model at runout $: 105, carbon forks and seat stays etc etc. I got fitted for one today, it felt good - bars were a tad wide for me so I'll get them swapped out for 42cm bars. I think the LBS will do me a deal with the bike/water bottle/shoes/lycra etc.

sounds like you've done pretty well, enjoy.

_mike_

Postby _mike_ » Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:39 am

Ended up with a 09' Giro in silver and nothing but good things to say! Build quality is excellent. Only 'lower' end component are the wheels (but rather have good frame/g'set for this amount of $$$). Paid $1900 through the LBS back in March/April

When i took delivery the bars were slightly tilted back, head stem raised all the way ----> relaxed/v stable position. Over time i slowly altered my position to a more 'racier' style which i now prefer ---> dropped 2 spacers, tilted drops forward etc etc

enjoy

overthehill

Postby overthehill » Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:51 am

Thats good to know _mike_. At my level of riding I reckon the standard wheelset will do just fine - can always upgrade later if I feel the need…

Is it Monday yet? :)
Rapha Continental

overthehill

Postby overthehill » Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:41 pm

Its a done deal! Avanti giro + new helmet + Speccy Sport road shoes + nics + gloves + bottle and cage = $2200.

Pickup tomorrow. Interesting thing was it didn't feel ALL that much different to ride than my single speed. A fraction lighter and tighter, and the seat ain't up to a Brooks… but I know for the long haul it'll be heaps better.

Yay!! :D :D
Rapha Continental

cjrich

Postby cjrich » Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:27 pm

overthehill wrote:Its a done deal! Avanti giro + new helmet + Speccy Sport road shoes + nics + gloves + bottle and cage = $2200.

Pickup tomorrow. Interesting thing was it didn't feel ALL that much different to ride than my single speed. A fraction lighter and tighter, and the seat ain't up to a Brooks… but I know for the long haul it'll be heaps better.

Yay!! :D :D
Well done. Betya can't wait for that first ride :D

Look forward to seeing the BNA required pics.

CJ
CJ
- 2015 Cervelo R3
- 2013 Cannondale CAAD 8
- 2019 Marin Rift Zone 3

bionic wombat

Postby bionic wombat » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:11 pm

nice posts there

I recently bought my Kona Zing last week $1700 inc two water "Look" bottles/ two 'Jetblack' cages / Fox race jersey / netti twilight cycling shorts.

overthehill

Postby overthehill » Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:22 pm

Now the proud owner of a Giro (you can scope it out here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/74943457@N00/3922287573/).

And my first ride? Round the block with my son on his trainer bike! Oh well, got some practice with the cleats…

And I was wrong - it is WAY better than my fixie. Work permitting I'll get a long(ish) ride tomorrow.
Rapha Continental

cjrich

Postby cjrich » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:51 am

overthehill wrote:Now the proud owner of a Giro (you can scope it out here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/74943457@N00/3922287573/).

And my first ride? Round the block with my son on his trainer bike! Oh well, got some practice with the cleats…

And I was wrong - it is WAY better than my fixie. Work permitting I'll get a long(ish) ride tomorrow.
WOW, great looking bike, nicer than the silver/white one I looked at.

Congrats

CJ
CJ
- 2015 Cervelo R3
- 2013 Cannondale CAAD 8
- 2019 Marin Rift Zone 3

overthehill

Postby overthehill » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:15 am

thanx cjrich - black just looks better I reckon - I was lucky to get the last 2009 one in my size too. Was looking forward to a ride today, wouldn't ya know it, its raining!
Rapha Continental