Giant Boulder SE MTB - SPD Pedals

Aushiker

Giant Boulder SE MTB - SPD Pedals

Postby Aushiker » Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:56 am

G'day

I want to get my Giant Boulder SE MTB back on the road. Mainly for riding with Anne (partner) and my young fellow and maybe a bit of MTB riding on some of the local tracks. Nothing serious at this stage. Long-term goal - Mundi Biddi end to end.

Anyway at this point I want to keep it pretty stock but add some mudguards, pannier rack and clipless pedals.

Hence the question. Clipless pedals. I assume I can get SPD pedals for the bike. I have Shimano PD-M505s on the flat bar and want to use the same system. Would the M505s be better or is there something else?

I don't want to break the bank, but don't want rubbish either.

Suggestions?

Thanks
Andrew

sogood

Postby sogood » Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:07 pm

Shimano SPD or Crank Brothers' egg beater/Candy models to choose from.

You can get CB pedals at much better prices online than in the shops. It's my choice after going through two sets of SPDs. The M540's bearing was shot after a few hundred ks. A515 was squeeky on pedaling. Greasing pedals' cleat mounts only led to temporary relief. No more Shimanos for me.
Last edited by sogood on Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:18 pm

The Shimano SPDs all use the same cleats ... sort of, some of the cleats are multi-release ie, in an emergency, you can reef them out of the clips from any angle. That's what I have and they are very good and, I would suggest, a good idea for your wife, your lad and when off road. The downside is that there is probably more chance of pulling out a foot accidentally, but I ride with my cleats pretty loose and have never had a problem though they have saved a couple of possible falls - I'd suggest accidental releases are a more an issue for aggressive riders.

Regardless of any other considerations, I would suggest you stay with the same system throughout the fleet - it just makes life a lot easier, allows you to leap onto any bike and be able to clip in. Sure, you can ride without clipping in, but for convenience, keep it all the same.

I've got two sets of M324 pedals - normal pedal on one side and clip on the other. There have been some problems with these though both my sets have served me very well. I'd suggest them for a pedal, or one of the other 'flat pedal one side/clip on the other' systems (seen them on bikes in the shops but don't know their name), because it just makes life a bit more flexible.

Or change everything to Crank Brothers :D (not a silly suggestion, have a look at your own pedals and if you find they could do with replacing, maybe a different system is worth considerting).

Richard

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:32 pm

Damn. Thought I had replied. Thanks for the suggestions.

If I went to say Crank Brothers pedals would I still be able to use my shoes which fit my SPDs now?

Also Shimano M540 SPD seem to get good feedback elsewhere. Maybe a reasonable comprise?

Regards
Andrew
Andrew

sogood

Postby sogood » Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:39 pm

All the pedals I've bought came with a set of cleats. So yes, CB pedals would come with a 2 bolt cleat. Or their Quattro road pedal would come with a standard 2 bolt cleat as well as a 3 bolt conversion plate.

M540 was what I had. The bearing died of a short death on a road bike with normal usage. Shimano's warranty repair was hopeless and had to be returned twice. And it's still rough as hell.

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:54 pm

Sadly, sogood's experience has been echoed by others on the forum. I'm about the only one willing to admit to a trouble free run from my Shimanos :(

Richard

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:19 pm

europa wrote:Sadly, sogood's experience has been echoed by others on the forum. I'm about the only one willing to admit to a trouble free run from my Shimanos :(

Richard
My 520's are still fine after 1,530km of road use :)

So far anyway's .....

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:19 pm

europa wrote:Sadly, sogood's experience has been echoed by others on the forum. I'm about the only one willing to admit to a trouble free run from my Shimanos :(

Richard
My hands up.

I have a tendancy to belt the bajingoes out of pedals on rocks, sticks, whatever :roll: killing them early, so I won't spend big. I've got 505s on Princess the MTB and 525s on Deni the roadie, give 'em a bit of a (recycled) toothbrushing whenever I clean the chain and a drop of lube on the springs and Bobs me uncle :) The 505s have over 4000ks without stripping and are still smooth, the 525s are still pretty new. They both came with a pair of clip on platforms for street shoe use :? Anybody want some?

Shaun

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:23 am

G'day

Okay looking at these Crank Brothers Smarty Pedal and these Crank Brothers Candy C. Pricing seems reasonable. Any thoughts?

Regards
Andrew

sogood

Postby sogood » Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:46 am

IIRC, out of the two, there's a preference on the net for the Candy model for durability. But please verify as I have not used either.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:05 pm

sogood wrote:IIRC, out of the two, there's a preference on the net for the Candy model for durability. But please verify as I have not used either.
No worries. Thanks for your advice. Appreciated.

Saw a set of CB blue ones on eBay ... link is on my other laptop but might take a shot at getting them cheap.

Andrew
Andrew

MJF

Postby MJF » Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:23 pm

Have had two sets of SPD pedals - bearings kept on going out of adjustment. Switched to Egg Beaters - nice build, but don't support the shoe well which causes my knees to move around a bit and aggravates my knee problem. Perhaps the candy would have been a better choice.

sogood

Postby sogood » Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:17 pm

MJF wrote:Have had two sets of SPD pedals - bearings kept on going out of adjustment. Switched to Egg Beaters - nice build, but don't support the shoe well which causes my knees to move around a bit and aggravates my knee problem. Perhaps the candy would have been a better choice.
Maybe the sole of your cycling shoes is a little flexy for your liking?

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:18 pm

Aushiker wrote:Saw a set of CB blue ones on eBay ... link is on my other laptop but might take a shot at getting them cheap.
The link to the Crank pedals on ebay is here

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:25 pm

Sorry for coming in late - I've been out bush.

I'm running CB pedals on both my MTB and my 'bent, after using Shimano 520s on my MTB for about a year. I'm happy I made the switch to CB pedals - very rugged build and rebuildable/serviceable by the owner. I've got Candy SL on the 'bent and Eggbeater SL on the MTB.

Yes, the cleats will fit your current shoes, although on some shoes you may need to trim some of the tread to allow the pedals to access the cleats.

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....