bike size/frame help

Questions about purchasing bicycles and parts

bike size/frame help

Postby rhys117 » Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:36 pm

cant add links yet. anyways I want to put all my old parts on this new frame. thing is I am bout 180cm so is the frame (S) large enough for me. also is it as simple as putting all my old parts on the new frame or am I going to have to get other parts,

Frame is Norco Aluminum fluid (S) its going for $150 on ebay.
what do I do?

thanx
Rhys
rhys117

by BNA » Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:47 pm

BNA

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:47 pm

It wouldn't work for me Rhys, I'm 176 and ride a medium, (50cm) on the road and a 17inch MTB, of course I'm not you, could you maybe find a similar Norco in a shop for a standover test?

Shaun
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Wanta-bike » Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:58 pm

i'm gonna go out on a limb here and say there's no way that a (S) frame will fit you.... unless (S) stands for "super" as opposed to the normal "small" :?

i'm about 165cm and i ride a (S) frame for both me mtb and road bike (46.5cm).

tho norco MAY make outrageously generous sized frames....
Wanta-bike

Postby Bnej » Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:20 pm

S is 15.5" in Norco's sizes, which is way too small for you. I'm 174 and I'd ride a 17" MTB, you're at least an M frame at 180.
Bnej

Postby europa » Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:20 pm

Rhyss, guessing like this is a recipe for disaster. The ONLY way to see if a bike will fit is to stand over it, to sit on it and to ride it. If you buy a bike that is too small, you will be buying components such as seat posts, stems, bars, necks, to get the thing to work for you. An ill fitting bike can stop you riding either by making it too hard or causing a variety of injuries to quite a few parts of your body. Even small mistakes in frame sizing can cost a lot to correct (I've just bought a new stem and am currently buying new bars to correct my very expensive bike). It's all doable, but it costs and the end result won't be as good as starting with a bike that fits properly.

Here, read my story of the Sow's Ear to see what can happen when you buy a too small frame.

Richard
europa

Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Return to Buying a bike / parts