Tyre sizing

mactype

Tyre sizing

Postby mactype » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:34 am

Looking at putting in an order for some stuff from the UK and some new tyres look to be on the cards but not too sure on a couple of specs.

Currently the bikes fitted with Hutchinson Excel's in a 700x25c size, bike was bought used and these were on it when purchased.

Been looking around and it appears theres a larger selection of tyres in the 700x23 range.

Can I get some advice on suitable sizing (is the 23 or 25 width?) and possibly some suggested replacements?

Rims are Fulcrum 3.

thanks!
Cervelo Soloist carbon
Pivot Firebird

ghettro

Re: Tyre sizing

Postby ghettro » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:40 am

yep the second number is width in millimeters.
-A lot of people will recommend Continental GP4000s
-Continental Gatorskins are also good, cheaper
-Vittoria Rubinos are good too

Do a forum search, there have been plenty of discussions on tyre choice.

JV911

Postby JV911 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:43 am

mactype wrote:Can I get some advice on suitable sizing (is the 23 or 25 width?) and possibly some suggested replacements?
commuting, training or racing tryes?
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

mactype

Postby mactype » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:46 am

JV911 wrote:
mactype wrote:Can I get some advice on suitable sizing (is the 23 or 25 width?) and possibly some suggested replacements?
commuting, training or racing tryes?
More training.
Cervelo Soloist carbon
Pivot Firebird

JV911

Postby JV911 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:15 pm

conti 4000s are good but more of a racing tyre as are michellin pro 3
conti gatorskins are also good but more of a commuting tyre

Vittoria Rubino Pro 2 are a nice compromise between the above and make a good training tyre
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:40 pm

mactype wrote:Looking at putting in an order for some stuff from the UK and some new tyres look to be on the cards but not too sure on a couple of specs.

Currently the bikes fitted with Hutchinson Excel's in a 700x25c size, bike was bought used and these were on it when purchased.

Been looking around and it appears theres a larger selection of tyres in the 700x23 range.

Can I get some advice on suitable sizing (is the 23 or 25 width?) and possibly some suggested replacements?

Rims are Fulcrum 3.

thanks!
I've tested extensively 19mm, 23mm and 25mm tyres and if you can get 25mm run with them on the REAR especially - they are a little heavier than 23mm but they seem to roll faster and smoother and they are less likely to puncture. For the front 23mm is fine but if you are heavy then put 25mm all round. Not a lot of companies have the 25mm available though. I have a set of Schwalbe Ultremo R's and was really happy with them in the DRY for race use only. I got caught in a race with them on when it rained and it was a wild ride ie. grip very limited.
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

mactype

Postby mactype » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:36 pm

So I presume the difference between say the Conti 4000 and the Rubina pro's are tread design and compounds.

So the difference in usage may be the Rubina Pros might last a little longer and be better if it rains?
jacks1071 wrote:I've tested extensively 19mm, 23mm and 25mm tyres and if you can get 25mm run with them on the REAR especially - they are a little heavier than 23mm but they seem to roll faster and smoother and they are less likely to puncture. For the front 23mm is fine but if you are heavy then put 25mm all round. Not a lot of companies have the 25mm available though. I have a set of Schwalbe Ultremo R's and was really happy with them in the DRY for race use only. I got caught in a race with them on when it rained and it was a wild ride ie. grip very limited.
So, would the Continental Grand Prix Attack/Force Tyre Twin Pack be ok, just I notice they have specific 22mm front and a 24mm rear?
Cervelo Soloist carbon
Pivot Firebird

m@

Postby m@ » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:50 pm

Would be nice if Conti would make the GP400S in anything other than 23... If you believe the marketing hype about their black chili compound ("rolling resistance is reduced by 26%"), I wonder whether the lower pressure of a GP4000 25 would outweigh the benefit of the black chili in the GP4000S 23 - just in terms of rolling resistance..?
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

Zynster

Postby Zynster » Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:22 pm

Conti make the GP4000 in 700x25, and they state that the black GP4000 uses black chilly.
I've posted a question on Wiggle to find out if the black 700x25s are black chilly.
Stay tuned.
Fausto Coppi Reparto Corse | Giant Farrago Cross

sblack

Postby sblack » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:16 pm

m@ wrote:Would be nice if Conti would make the GP400S in anything other than 23... If you believe the marketing hype about their black chili compound ("rolling resistance is reduced by 26%"), I wonder whether the lower pressure of a GP4000 25 would outweigh the benefit of the black chili in the GP4000S 23 - just in terms of rolling resistance..?
Zynster wrote:Conti make the GP4000 in 700x25, and they state that the black GP4000 uses black chilly.
I've posted a question on Wiggle to find out if the black 700x25s are black chilly.
Stay tuned.
I had the question of the difference in the GP4000 and GP4000S when I last purchased tyres so I contacted Continental through their website and they informed me the only difference is the label. I ordered a pair of 700x25 and have been very happy with them. Packaging definitely says they're black chilli as well.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:41 pm

Michelin Krylion Carbon for training. Conti's seem to peel open like a banana every time you go within two metres of a sliver of glass. :roll:

The downside is that the wet puncture protection sucks, but they are excellent in the dry.
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:57 pm

mactype wrote:So I presume the difference between say the Conti 4000 and the Rubina pro's are tread design and compounds.

So the difference in usage may be the Rubina Pros might last a little longer and be better if it rains?
jacks1071 wrote:I've tested extensively 19mm, 23mm and 25mm tyres and if you can get 25mm run with them on the REAR especially - they are a little heavier than 23mm but they seem to roll faster and smoother and they are less likely to puncture. For the front 23mm is fine but if you are heavy then put 25mm all round. Not a lot of companies have the 25mm available though. I have a set of Schwalbe Ultremo R's and was really happy with them in the DRY for race use only. I got caught in a race with them on when it rained and it was a wild ride ie. grip very limited.
So, would the Continental Grand Prix Attack/Force Tyre Twin Pack be ok, just I notice they have specific 22mm front and a 24mm rear?
I've worn 3 sets of Force/Attack combo down to the canvas - great tyres. Mine were the older version though which was a 19mm front and a 23mm rear. I have not ridden the new model with the black chilli rubber but I can only assume they would be even better.

Personally I train on Vittoria Zaffiro tyres as I get them cheap, they rarely puncture and they last for a lot of KMS. They have a wire bead which I find makes getting them on and off easier when you do puncture and I run a tyre liner in the back (I hate punctures and rarely get them at 67kg..)

For racing I currently have Hutchinson Fusion 2's (tubeless), Zipp Tangerinie, Vredstein Tri Comp Tubular, Schwalbe Ultremo R - all those models are excellent puncture resistant race tyres. I wouldn't train on any of them as they are a bit expensive to cut up... You want to be a pretty competitant bike handler to use the Ultremo R's in the rain as well - I wouldn't do it on purpose.
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:35 am

Hi

I am a fan of the Continental Grand Prix 4000S (with Black Chilli) but can't notice the difference between them and the Continental Grand Prix 4000. I don't race but do Audax and group rides on these tyres.

I used to commute on Gatorskins and would never use them again.

Regards
Andrew

backofthebunch

Postby backofthebunch » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:46 pm

if i have currently 700 x 25 tyres am i able to replace them on the same rim with 700 x 23 tyre?

I'm new to this and wanna make sure.

thirtytwospokes

Postby thirtytwospokes » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:07 pm

backofthebunch wrote:if i have currently 700 x 25 tyres am i able to replace them on the same rim with 700 x 23 tyre?

Without knowing what rims, I'd say almost certainly yes. Most road rims can accommodate 23s to 28s, and possibly wider.

backofthebunch

Postby backofthebunch » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:18 pm

thirtytwospokes wrote:
backofthebunch wrote:if i have currently 700 x 25 tyres am i able to replace them on the same rim with 700 x 23 tyre?

Without knowing what rims, I'd say almost certainly yes. Most road rims can accommodate 23s to 28s, and possibly wider.
yeah thought that, thanks