Map Cases?

Questions about purchasing bicycles and parts

Map Cases?

Postby Aushiker » Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:36 pm

G'day

Next newbie question. I will run out I promise :-) This one is maybe for the tourers. Being a walker I like my maps and use them a lot. So on the bike I can use my GPSr and have mounted it (photos to come) but the current mapping on it is car orientated rather than bike orientated.

So what I am interested is are their map cases that can be easily mounted so one can read the map whilst riding? I headed out this morning and was trying to follow NW1 and found it quite frustrating in the sections where the signage was lacking leading me to having to stop and get the map out to read it. I am shocking at remembering more than one or two turns at a time.

Anyway. Any ideas?

Regards
Andrew
Aushiker

by BNA » Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:52 pm

BNA

Postby sogood » Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:52 pm

Depends on which GPS unit you have, some of them (eg Garmin eTrex Vista Cx) can have superimposed topo and road maps. They also can do road navigation while you ride. But irrespective, the smallish screen and bouncing handlebar isn't ideal for map reading.

If you are talking about sheet map covers, then you can look for them from outdoor stores eg. Kathmandu, Paddy Pallins etc. They have many made for hiking. For bikes, you can buy one of those bar mount bags that has a clear vinyl map slot on top, perfect for your need. One example being those made by Topeak which seemed to be in my LBSs in Sydney.

http://www.topeak.com/2007/products/bag ... idehbb.php
Bianchi, Ridley, Montague, GT, Garmin and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.
sogood

Postby europa » Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:54 pm

And your problem with getting lost is ... ?

Seriously. Unless you're in dangerous country, getting unlost is often the best way of learning a route :wink:

Richard
europa

Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby Aushiker » Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:01 pm

sogood wrote:Depends on which GPS unit you have, some of them (eg Garmin eTrex Vista Cx)

Have a Garmin 60 CSx which is great on the bike but all my electronic mapping including auto-routing is car focused. I am looking into converting my bike maps to the Garmin format but that maybe more complicated than I can handle.

For bikes, you can buy one of those bar mount bags that has a clear vinyl map slot on top, perfect for your need. One example being those made by Topeak which seemed to be in my LBSs in Sydney. http://www.topeak.com/2007/products/bag ... idehbb.php

I don't really want the bag if possible as I have panniers. Was thinking of a more rigid map case that mounted to the bars in some way. If not, then maybe the bag is the next option.

Thanks
Andrew
Last edited by Aushiker on Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:04 pm

Okay, when in doubt Google :oops: . These at http://www.hikebikeandride.com/Products ... tegory=181 looking promising.

Anyone have experiences with same? Other thoughts?

Andrew
Aushiker

Postby sogood » Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:11 pm

I find map reading whilst riding is as dangerous as map reading whilst driving if not more. Just have to keep a lookout for those potholes and obstacles. Also, I wouldn't want to put out a wind brake on my bike just for a map that I can stick in a pocket. If it's for touring, then a small handlebar bag makes sense.
Bianchi, Ridley, Montague, GT, Garmin and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.
sogood

Postby alchemist » Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:26 pm

I've got one of these which is good for MTBO and Polaris style events. The Miry Boards are much nicer. A bit unnecessary for touring or such, I'd be happy to stop and get the map out of bag.
alchemist

Postby Mr888 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:06 pm

This might be from left field, but I know my golf buggy/cart has something similar for the score card and course map, and can be easily removed. I can't see why you can't just attach it to the bike. You might like to look in golf stores as well...just a thought :?
Mr888

Postby Aushiker » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:42 pm

sogood wrote:I find map reading whilst riding is as dangerous as map reading whilst driving if not more.

Simple. Don't read when riding. Read when stopped. Works for me :-) It was more about access.

Regards
Andrew
Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:43 pm

Mr888 wrote:This might be from left field, but I know my golf buggy/cart has something similar for the score card and course map, and can be easily removed. I can't see why you can't just attach it to the bike. You might like to look in golf stores as well...just a thought :?

Thanks. I will look into this option.

Andrew
Aushiker

Postby twowheels » Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:13 pm

Aushiker wrote:Okay, when in doubt Google :oops: . These at http://www.hikebikeandride.com/Products ... tegory=181 looking promising.

Anyone have experiences with same? Other thoughts?

Andrew

some time back i googled map holders for mountain bike orienteering. they were about AUD100!!! so these seem a pretty good buy.
twowheels

Postby Aushiker » Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:36 pm

This looks more promising ... http://www.cycoactive.com/bike/bms.html but will only allow US buyers :-( Might have to get a friend to buy it for me and post it over.

Andrew
Aushiker

Return to Buying a bike / parts