'Wind' Trainer

Questions about purchasing bicycles and parts

'Wind' Trainer

Postby bigbuzz73 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:52 pm

Hi all,
I'm finding it difficult to get enough klms into the old legs with all this crap winter weather so I'm considering a 'wind' trainer. I'm not sure whether to buy a tyre drive or rim drive. I thought the rim drive would give flexibility in that I could also use my MTB (has knobby tyres).
The other option was to buy a cheap, second hand bike and leave it permanently on the trainer.
Appreciate advice/feedback. Thanks guys.
Regards,
Wayne
bigbuzz73

by BNA » Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:17 pm

BNA

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:17 pm

If you use knobbies on a tyre drive you will go nuts, the noise is horrible.

Shaun
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby sogood » Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:28 pm

Have you considered a roller or a stationary bike? Out of stationary bikes, spin bikes are worth considering. If you are going with standard trainers, just be aware that it may have a terrible toll on your rear tyre.
Bianchi, Ridley, Montague, GT, Garmin and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.
sogood

Postby bigbuzz73 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:43 pm

sogood wrote:Have you considered a roller or a stationary bike? Out of stationary bikes, spin bikes are worth considering. If you are going with standard trainers, just be aware that it may have a terrible toll on your rear tyre.

I tried a roller once, years ago and had a great stack!! Turned me off forever. Never gave much thought to a spin bike, but I imagine they would cost well over $1000, so that would rule them out.
I'm just a bit concerned about putting my good bike into a trainer on a regular basis. Anyone heard of frame damage caused by using trainers? I'm probably being overcautious, but i must look after my Italian beauty! :D
Wayne
bigbuzz73

Postby sogood » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:54 pm

bigbuzz73 wrote:
sogood wrote:Have you considered a roller or a stationary bike? Out of stationary bikes, spin bikes are worth considering. If you are going with standard trainers, just be aware that it may have a terrible toll on your rear tyre.

I tried a roller once, years ago and had a great stack!! Turned me off forever. Never gave much thought to a spin bike, but I imagine they would cost well over $1000, so that would rule them out.
I'm just a bit concerned about putting my good bike into a trainer on a regular basis. Anyone heard of frame damage caused by using trainers? I'm probably being overcautious, but i must look after my Italian beauty! :D

I have seen spin bikes on eBay for under $400. For a wet day indoor ride, I think it's reasonable. As for your stack on the roller, well, now you are experience, you'll be fine from here on in. :)

There's some talk of trainers damaging the headset bearing but it doesn't seem to be widespread.

The other way to look at the choices is to ask what you want to achieve when you are indoor. Do you want to practice spin? Do you want to train for power? Do you want to do interval? How critical is the fit on these days?
Bianchi, Ridley, Montague, GT, Garmin and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.
sogood

Postby pugsly » Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:56 am

I bought one from Torpedo7 for much the same reason as you - http://www.torpedo7.com.au/products/TZTRWNN11 in fact when they had it on special.

It has it's own quick release do-hickey (sorry, don't know the proper word) that replaces the quick release on your back wheel that allows you to attach the bike to the wind trainer. Not knowing that when I bought it (a couple of weeks ago) I haven't changed over bits. I have been tossing up the idea of buying a second back wheel with a slick on it for use on the wind trainer. I think that will be the best way forward for me. Maybe something to think about.
pugsly

Postby moosterbounce » Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:45 am

I've done nearly 2000km on my tyre-drive trainer with my 2nd bike and the same tyre. No problems. I leave that bike on the trainer and, as I would get pretty much no $$ if traded or sold, I don't mind so much if it gets damaged. I wouldn't put my carbon bike on it though...no real reason, just personal preference. Mine is about 12 years old so things have really improved in that time. Mine won't even fit a mtb!!

You can buy specific trainer tyres that are built to withstand the tyre-drive. I don't use one yet, but when mine needs replacing, I will be looking at this. Might be a bit trickier if you take the bike off all the time and road ride.

I got very tired of continually setting the bike up on the trainer when I used it on the road frequently. It was annoying to get everything right with the correct tension on the tyre and I found I would put off doing it because of this reason. Since having a dedicated bike, I've found it much better.

I also have a recumbent exercise bike (does this put me in some sort of elite 'bent group :P ) that feels like it uses different muscles, but I prefer the trainer.

I enjoy riding mine and find I can target specific HR zones, or do sprint/easy/sprint stuff without worring about terrain or cars or pedestrians etc.

Some bike shops have trainer sessions - it is worth inquiring as you may try it and hate it!!

Moo...
moosterbounce

Postby tuco » Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:02 pm

I have an el cheapo Tranz brand (???) trainer.

I've found I can concentrate on my pedalling technique on the trainer with the noise giving me a good guide as to whether I'm pedalling evenly around the entire revolution.

We have two bikes which use it but it only came with one spare special quick release so I went to the lbs and they gave me a spare used quick release which was suitable for the trainer.
tuco

Return to Buying a bike / parts